• Nginx
    • Other (Please specify)

Question

Which HTTP server do you guys prefer?

Please explain your reasonings too :p

Edited by DJ Dark

18 answers to this question

I'm a huge fan of IIS.

Apart from it being pretty much my only choice (given I code in ASP.net), I find it reliable, fast and childs play to config and run.

I'm sure I'll cop some flack for this one >.>

I like nginx since it's a much smaller application, yet at the same time more performant than other servers. That said you can "fix" a lot of issues with Apache by structuring your setup differently.

Kind of a fan of IIS as well, but usually go with Apache 2 just for consistency's sake as it runs on all the different OS's my servers need to work with, that and I'm just used to the Apache way of doing things versus Nginx.

Originally used Apache/IIS, back in server 2000 I found IIS to be pretty crap, there were also a lot of exploits for it at the time and I played around with apache on red hat 9.

Moved to Apache2.0 on windows and still use it on that actually, might update to Apache2.2 one day.

Using nginx for everything else, smaller and more lightweight than apache and can do some very nifty stuff including caching well.

1) IIS (because it's convenient)

2) Lighttpd (because it's ultralight and, yes, Windows builds exist)

3) Fortitude (because it's easy to setup)

Depends on occasion. I do not work profesionally with this.

Nginx and lighttpd tbh.

Both for their performance (and nginx can also be used as a full-fledged webserver instead of a reverse proxy with the serving of static files) and also because they are less likely to kill themselves when they get an incoming slowloris attack or something like that.

Also, to not forget, their modular configuration :)

Tried nginx on my server, but ran into some problems with scripts (Mostly Joomla), so reverted back to Apache2 and have been pretty satisfied there.

Nginx, it handles our load better than Apache whilst using less resources.

People keep saying OMG Apache 2.4 with Event MPM, fair enough but it still isn't as fast as Nginx :)