Vasectomys

If you are married and are completely sure you don't want more children then a vasectomy is the most logical choice. It's about the same price as 3 years of birth control and is one of the easiest and least painful procedures ever.

I have had one and know personally 5 or 6 other friends who have also and they all agree it was nothing.

Haha wow. I'm not knocking you guys' decision, don't take it that way :) It's always just a choice between the two people in the couple, nobody else's business. Just saying, sometimes people don't realise exactly how the Pill works. It's worth doing some research, especially in a situation where a woman you are dating either was taking it before you got together and is going to stop, or wasn't before and is going to start. It can change a lot of things. But of course it affects everyone differently. As I said before, though, it's obviously a very individual thing :)

:D She better keep taking it then or she might go off me :laugh:

I think I remember her saying at some point that the pill she takes fools the body into thinking she is pregnant already, something like that

Invasive Surgery vs Keyhole Surgery

1 day downtime vs 1 week downtime minimum

Ask your wife if she would have herself sterilized and tell her that you would not have sex rather than do it

then tell me the same answer with your black eye lmao

See the PM that I just sent you...

:D She better keep taking it then or she might go off me :laugh:

I think I remember her saying at some point that the pill she takes fools the body into thinking she is pregnant already, something like that

Yep, that's the basic gist of it. And when a woman is pregnant, her body does some different things--even her pheromones and stuff are different. It's kind of fascinating in a way.

Yep, that's the basic gist of it. And when a woman is pregnant, her body does some different things--even her pheromones and stuff are different. It's kind of fascinating in a way.

Pregnancy doesn't fascinate me, it scares the ***t out of me :laugh:

lmao @ some comments in here

Kaos Dcomo thanks foor PM greatly appreciated

If anyone else has anything for me and would rather pm me then feel free :D

why not use condoms.

as long as you realise that to reverse it will cost you ?5000 then go for it. most people do the procedure cos its free on the nhs.

it may be a minor op, but its still an op, and things can go wrong......

plus women have a ticking clock, after a 40 or something the pilot light goes out in the oven

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of thread resurrection..

I had it done a few years ago, after our second kid. Surgery itself was quick and painless, but the smell of burning pork was slightly off-putting! In the UK at least, they don't use scalpels anymore, but have switched to lasers, which have the advantage of cauterising the incision.

Once the painkillers have worn off it's not too much fun, but Ibuprofen/paracetamol (Tylenol?) worked well enough for a couple of days.

As has been said it's a simple procedure compared to female sterilisation, done under local rather than general anesthetic. A factor for us was though it is pretty rare for it to happen, general anesthetics can go wrong - to the point of death.

I decided that, for me, I'd "man up" and go for the lower risk option - but that's a very personal point of view :)

We did not find out that we were expecting until around 7 months along and we decided that we only were going to have one, now my wife decided to get her tubes tied, there really was not any discussion regarding me getting fixed, but I recall she stated that it was easier at the time for her to get the procedure done and if I recall the insurance would not cover me getting snipped until I was a certain age (~30 I think) I was only 27 when my daughter was born, so I would have had to wait ~3 years and then get it done...

I had one done back in March. I didn't opt to be put under, just local. Procedure took maybe 15 minutes. I took a week off work just because I had plenty of vacation time. Sat on a package of frozen peas and played XBox. Was 'back to normal' after a week or so. Two weeks before sexy time.

And PLEASE be sure to follow directions regarding getting rechecked before dropping other forms of birth control!

I had mine done almost 16 years ago, scalpel was the only way the Army would do it, went in Friday morning, left that same afternoon, given tylenol3, the swelling was worse than the minimal pain, felt like I had a damn football between my legs, swelling gone by Monday, lite duty for a week after, stitches were self dissolving, went in ~a month later to have my sperm count verified as 0

I do get the occasional soreness since, it's normal from what I've read, your body still produces sperm somewhat, is annoying but only lasts 2-3 days if that

All other functions of that area continued as normal

ok so our baby is due in December and we have 90% decided we aint going to have anymore so started looking into this

i obviously wont get one until we are 100% sure we wont be having anymore

I would like to hear some experiences and comments about it

There are loads of horror stories on the internet but also lots of good stories too

so my question is if you have had one

1. How was the pain during and after

2. was it the scalpel or non scalpel method

3. any complications

Thanks

I got a vasectomy after my wife was on the pill for 2 years and managed to get "accidentally" pregnant again. We needed a permanent solution, since apparently my sperm hailed from Krypton. Anyways as answers to your questions.

1. During wasn't bad, a local anesthetic, no biggie couldn't feel much. He cut and burned the tubes/whatever and you could smell it burning that was probably the strangest thing. After was fine for the first hour or so, after the local wore off I had some Vicodin it still felt like you got kicked in the jewels a couple times, but laying on the couch with ice was definitely bearable.

2. I had the scalpel method I believe, he made a couple small incisions, clipped and then burned the lines.

3. The thing to keep in mind immediately after, is that you're not 100% sterile right away it takes a few months or so to get rid of all the loose guys hanging around. Every month around the time I got my vasectomy I get a little twinge of discomfort down there, I hear that's pretty common and is more psychological than everything else.

IMO it's worth it, birth control isn't 100% effective (something we know of far too well around here), and the woman getting fixed is extremely more dangerous than the man. Here in California after deciding to do it I had to wait 30 days to further solidify the decision, not how it is there. If you'd like more info or detailed questions, feel free to PM me brother, good luck!

If you get it hope that there are no students in that day, there was a Dr learning the procedure when I got mine, my doctor was explaining EVERY step in detail for him, was a very bizarre experience

I got mine done 20 years ago. My wife had been on the pill for a good number of years, and thought it was only fair to step and get it done. I wasn't keen on her taking pills for a good number of years when we knew we weren't having any other kids.

At the time all these operations were done under a general anesthetic. Not sure if I'd been so keen if I was awake and I could see a guy coming towards my tiny johnston with a blade.

Overall it wasn't as bad as everyone told me. I got the horror stories from the guys at work too. Just took pain killers when I needed them. Lay flat for the first couple of days, and wore a support all the time, until the swelling went down.

Just remember the first time afterwards might be a bit sore, but it get better, good excuse to keep trying and rubbing it better. :shifty:

I can now got out and sow my wild oats and guarantee a crop failure. :woot:

Well. They say its easier for the woman to have her tubes tied than for the guy to have a vasectomys. With my wife after our 2nd child she decided she would get her tubes tied while she was having the baby so it took care of everything. No problems or complications there :)

ok so our baby is due in December and we have 90% decided we aint going to have anymore so started looking into this

i obviously wont get one until we are 100% sure we wont be having anymore

I hope you're just in the information gathering stage, and you wait till MUCH later after her pregnancy, because the -we- part of -your- decision might just be her crazy pregnant brain

Just something to keep in mind.

yeah will defo think it all through no rush in getting it lol

would just be a pain in the arse to use condoms for the rest of our lifes

It was more my decision and i then went to speak to her about it so can rule preggy brain out lol

but yeah got a good while to think about it and decide 100% we aint having no more

I had one done last December after welcoming our third daughter the previous September. All three of my daughters were c-section deliveries and we could have easily gotten the tubes tied. However, complications are far, far more likely on a woman getting her tubes tied than a man getting a vasectomy. With our first daughter, the doctor informed us that one of my wife's Fallopian tubes was not connected. The doctor connected it, thus doubling our chances to conceive, which wasn't an issue then, and even less so with our other two girls. During the pregnancy for our second daughter, my wife had an ovarian cyst. Nothing major if caught and treated, but another issue. Back to our first daughter, we went through 32 hours of labor before my wife went into surgery. Turns out that my wife's woman parts cannot have a baby vaginally, thus the subsequent c-sections. We attempted v-back on #2, but same problem occurred. There may be one more thing I'm forgetting.

That brief history being established, we bounced around the idea on how to stop conception more or less permanently. My wife did some research on what could be done for both of us, and given my wife's history of various woman issues, getting her tubes tied and the common side effects that are well documented was a no go, so we decided on a vasectomy. I was very reluctant to get it done and spoke with some friends who have had the procedure, getting some funny stories and mostly positive experiences. In my situation, my wife already went through three c-sections and endured the physical conditions that comes with them. When it came right down to it, it was time for me to do my part in this relationship, so I got it done.

Though initially daunting, my worries and concerns for the roughly 15 minute procedure was actually blown out of proportion. The urologist I had was a pro, having done over 5,000 vasectomy's during 20 year period. I went in, he explained how the procedure would play out and made it clear, several times, that when he does a vasectomy, he makes it permanent, so I better be 100% sure I wanted it done. He did an examination and I went back two days later.

The procedure itself is a little uncomfortable and over fairly quickly. My full recovery time was closer to two weeks due to extended soreness. I was sore a week after it was done, so I was thankful for not only be a programmer, but also that I work from home. Other guys have gone to work the next day without any problems, so the soreness or discomfort may vary. Aim to do it near the weekend so that you have the weekend to recover. The urologist will explain all of this. It was stated before, but being snipped doesn't mean you're sterile. Before getting it done, I was very much against the idea of a doctor getting down there with sharp objects and whatnot. Today, however, my fears were pretty much unfounded. I was uncomfortable, but not in pain.

The best part of this ordeal is that we stopped paying for birth control pills, never have to worry about getting pregnant, and my wife has a greater appreciation of what I'm willing to do for my family. She shows her appreciation often :D So there, my experience. Hope it helps alleviate any concerns or worries you might have.