CDPR reveals 'CYBERPUNK' sci-fi RPG

Warsaw, 18 October 2012 ? CD Projekt RED has officially announced the title of its in-development role-playing game. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be set in the world created by Mike Pondsmith, one of the fathers of the cyberpunk genre and the creator of the cult-classic pen-and-paper RPG, Cyberpunk.

"The Team has to love the material. The Team has to want to be faithful to the material. The Team has to have the skills to execute the material and see that vision through to the end. They have to be on fire with the desire to make an extraordinary game.

And that leads, at last, to why we hooked up with CD Projekt RED" ? Mike Pondsmith commented, why he has chosen to work with the Polish game developer.

The cyberpunk atmosphere, well known from William Gibson's novels, the "Blade Runner" movie and the famous pen-and-paper game, "Cyberpunk 2020", will surround the player. The creators promise that "Cyberpunk 2077" will be true to the essence of the cyberpunk genre. Players will be thrown into the dark future of the year 2077 and into a world where advanced technologies have become both the salvation and the curse of humanity. A multi-thread, nonlinear story designed for mature players (a CD Projekt RED trademark) will take place in the sprawling metropolis of Night City and its surroundings. Players will have a chance to visit places well known from "Cyberpunk 2020", including a combat zone completely taken over by gangs, the legendary Afterlife joint and the nostalgic Forlorn Hope.

Freedom of action and diversity in gameplay will be delivered thanks to the sandbox nature of the game and mechanics inspired by the "Cyberpunk 2020" pen-and-paper system, fine tuned to meet the requirements of a modern RPG. Gameplay will pump adrenaline through players' veins and be consistent with the celebrated Cyberpunk spirit ? rebellion, style, edge, uncertainty. And of course, a cyberpunk reality cannot be deprived of murderous steel ? guns, rifles, implants, dozens of gadgets and other varied pieces of equipment needed to survive on the streets of Night City. The developers are focused on making the technology of 2077 credible and exciting.

For more info please visit the newly launched blog: cyberpunk.net and read some articles written by both the developers from CD Projekt RED and Mike Pondsmith himself.

1920x1080_Art.jpg?t=13506307431920x1080_GIRL-CP77.jpg?t=1350630745CDPRED-new-RPG.jpg

Well, the thing about Mike Pondsmith is not right, he wasn't one of the fathers of the genre. The genre was originally created by Bruce Bethke in 1983, but if you really want to get technical then you can actually say it was created by Philip K. Dick ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"), Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher and David Peoples with "Blade Runner".

First person? Third Person?

sounds interesting as i love cyberpunk style games. Rise of the Dragon, Nightlong. I just never understood why the sun can never shine when it comes to anything "cyberpunk"

Sounds interesting, though I'm still waiting for the day another Syndicate Plus/Syndicate Wars comes along, and by that I mean a strategy game not some ****ty generic FPS that's got nothing to do with the franchise.

I wish it was a real Shadowrun game instead of cyberpunk, but yeah, this will be nice to, at least until the shadowrun rights holders get around. We do have a real mechwarrior again so there is hope.

As for the origin of cyberpunk, you have to differentiate the "cyber" genre with the cyberpunk sub genre. The cyberpunk is more or less from the 80's

• 2 months later...

I saw a screenshot a few days ago, glad a trailer-ish videos kinda out ! Doesn't look bad, not sure what it sounds like due to alsa going awol but I hope it does turn out good, not enough cyperpunk games.

Didnt like the trailer. Original Cyberpunk (Phillip K Dick, William Gibson, Riddley Scott), is grittier, darker, relatively clunky. Its aesthetic is a modern form of retro futurism. Everything in that trailer, from the HORRIBLE music to the aesthetics and the technology seems sophisticated, relatively clean. That's not cyberpunk, it's sci-fi. Wouldn't have a problem with that but they choose to use the word Cyberpunk, a word that implies a very specific aesthetic and setting.

That's not entirely true. cyberpunk just mixes cyber with punk. both Neuromancer and Snowcrash showed a "dichotomy"( I think that's the right world) world, Where you have the clean rich cyber world, and you have the underworld where the people who don't fit in get cheap work done before they do the dirty work of the rich people so they can become the rich people.

Both Cypberpunk 2020(what 2077 is based on) and Shadowrun actually had clean futuristic worlds. they also had the dirty undergrounds, at least in Shadowrun that's where you the shadowrunner lives, and get your contacts, meat the fixer and Mr Johnson. but most of the work you do, is done in the fancy corporate areas, their homes, their factories, their storages.

it does seem to draw a lot of inspiration from Ghost in the shell as well as a very unfortunately short lived anime series called Cyber cops or something, but that's also ok, especially since they are also cyberpunk.

Didnt like the trailer. Original Cyberpunk (Phillip K Dick, William Gibson, Riddley Scott), is grittier, darker, relatively clunky. Its aesthetic is a modern form of retro futurism. Everything in that trailer, from the HORRIBLE music to the aesthetics and the technology seems sophisticated, relatively clean. That's not cyberpunk, it's sci-fi. Wouldn't have a problem with that but they choose to use the word Cyberpunk, a word that implies a very specific aesthetic and setting.

maybe cyberpunk came home after a long day on the streets and decided to take a shower and wash off all that grit and emo.

Seriously, I always took cyberpunk to be more of a mindset and ideal rather than a true aesthetic. You can have a shiny room and setting and still convey cyberpunk quite well.

That's not entirely true. cyberpunk just mixes cyber with punk. both Neuromancer and Snowcrash showed a "dichotomy"( I think that's the right world) world, Where you have the clean rich cyber world, and you have the underworld where the people who don't fit in get cheap work done before they do the dirty work of the rich people so they can become the rich people.

Both Cypberpunk 2020(what 2077 is based on) and Shadowrun actually had clean futuristic worlds. they also had the dirty undergrounds, at least in Shadowrun that's where you the shadowrunner lives, and get your contacts, meat the fixer and Mr Johnson. but most of the work you do, is done in the fancy corporate areas, their homes, their factories, their storages.

it does seem to draw a lot of inspiration from Ghost in the shell as well as a very unfortunately short lived anime series called Cyber cops or something, but that's also ok, especially since they are also cyberpunk.

Of course, the upper class in cyberpunk is clean. A stark contrast from the working class (Neuromancer (and cyberpunk in general) afterall was a marxist-esque critique to technology dependence. Cant be more punk than that.).

However this trailer seems to depict the underworld. And what I see strikes me as cyberpunk-light. A Michael Bay's depiction of the genre.

I know I'm being picky, but that's because cyberpunk is one of the countercultural movements and aesthetic that fascinates me the most. Specially the old school depictions of Snatcher and Blade Runner. Specially the intertwine of new technology with primitive computer interfaces.

maybe cyberpunk came home after a long day on the streets and decided to take a shower and wash off all that grit and emo.

emo?

How is grit emo?

-----------------------------------------------------

Humor me and imagine this: A painter creates a beautiful abstract piece, then decides to paint at the center of the piece a realistic object (an apple, a house, doesn't matter) and finally the artist calls his work as abstract. Yes, the abstract elements are there in the background, but the object at the center makes the whole painting something else. Not worse, not better, just something else. It cant be called abstract as such style has a very definite set of rules.

Of course, the upper class in cyberpunk is clean. A stark contrast from the working class (Neuromancer (and cyberpunk in general) afterall was a marxist-esque critique to technology dependence. Cant be more punk than that.).

However this trailer seems to depict the underworld. And what I see strikes me as cyberpunk-light. A Michael Bay's depiction of the genre.

I know I'm being picky, but that's because cyberpunk is one of the countercultural movements and aesthetic that fascinates me the most. Specially the old school depictions of Snatcher and Blade Runner. Specially the intertwine of new technology with primitive computer interfaces.

emo?

How is grit emo?

-----------------------------------------------------

Humor me and imagine this: A painter creates a beautiful abstract piece, then decides to paint at the center of the piece a realistic object (an apple, a house, doesn't matter) and finally the artist calls his work as abstract. Yes, the abstract elements are there in the background, but the object at the center makes the whole painting something else. Not worse, not better, just something else. It cant be called abstract as such style has a very definite set of rules.

but the genre isn't about dirt and grit... you only imagine it so. There is more to the entirety than what your limited scope imagines.

but the genre isn't about dirt and grit... you only imagine it so. There is more to the entirety than what your limited scope imagines.

Enlighten me then.

I hate when game companies just show a CG cutscene and no gameplay.

I think it's too early for any gameplay, this is mainly showing off what style they're aiming for.