Star Wars Episode VII (Official Thread) (JJ Abrams Directs)

JJ Abrams on directing SWEP7:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time," said Abrams. "I frankly feel that ? I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn?t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

Jon Favreau on directing SWEP7:

"I think both J.J. and I come from a generation of people who formed our whole creative persona around what we experienced as kids from watching those films, and I have had the good fortune of working with George [Lucas] and around George, and whether it is doing a voice on Clone Wars, or being at the Skywalker Ranch mixing Iron Man ? so I have been very happy and lucky to just experience the culture that Lucas has created, both in my own life growing up as a kid and professional ? whether it was interviewing him at film festivals on stage, he is just a really wonderful, talented gifted guy who has changed the business so much, so I am just giddy, first and foremost as a fan, to see what happens with it. I think there is a lot of question marks of how they are going to do it, and who they are going to do it with, and what the story is going to be about; but to say that I am not excited about it is definitely an understatement. We?ll see."

I am honestly afraid for this movie. The intimidation factor is huge for any director. The Star Wars fan base has already sort of ruined this movie, before it even begins, because if it isn't 100% perfect to them, the director will be smeared and rue the day he ever agreed to do Star Wars: Ep. VII.

That said, this is by far my favorite thread, because I am so excited about this. I am glad JJ Abrams isn't doing it, because I don't think he is very good at all. Keep bringing the news, Rappy! I am loving it!

RUMOR: Darth Vader To Return For New STAR WARS Movies?

According to "a film mole"..

?He?s an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible. The plan is for him to return and play a significant role in the new films. This is science fiction remember, Darth Vader will rise from the ashes.?

I'm OK with it... As long as it doesn't in any way ruin his role in Return of the Jedi as the villain-father redemption. That scene was so powerful.

Oh, and also.. Don't, for the love of all that is Star Wars, use Hayden Christensen as Vader... Please don't Disney!

Call up James Earl Jones, if he is some sort of force-ghost, and use his voice. Now that would be awesome.

It may be owned by Disney, but I simply CANNOT WAIT for this!! :woot: Been a Star Wars fan since about 1982 (was born in '78), and I've been a fan ever since, although the "newer" ones just weren't as good as the "older" ones, to me anyway. (Bet you can't tell I'm a Star Wars fan...did I mention I'm a Star Wars fan? LOL!) :p

It may be owned by Disney, but I simply CANNOT WAIT for this!! :woot: Been a Star Wars fan since about 1982 (was born in '78), and I've been a fan ever since, although the "newer" ones just weren't as good as the "older" ones, to me anyway. (Bet you can't tell I'm a Star Wars fan...did I mention I'm a Star Wars fan? LOL!) :p

Well, I would hope so, considering you were in it Sir Obi-Wan... :p

• Like 1

Well, I would hope so, considering you were in it Sir Obi-Wan... :p

LOL! :D

I'm OK with it... As long as it doesn't in any way ruin his role in Return of the Jedi as the villain-father redemption. That scene was so powerful.

Oh, and also.. Don't, for the love of all that is Star Wars, use Hayden Christensen as Vader... Please don't Disney!

Call up James Earl Jones, if he is some sort of force-ghost, and use his voice. Now that would be awesome.

So hoping this isn't true it would be ridiculous to say the least.

i could see a storyline that Luke trains Leia and Solo's kid to be a jedi.....sounds cheesy but that's how the first two trilogies started out a new or future(prospective like anakin) jedi being trained

My hopes for Star Trek VII are the same as Windows 8: a total, utter failure on the marketplace.

Star Trek: Generations isn't so bad, you should probably check it out, It's been out for over a decade. :shifty:

Frank Marshall Says STAR WARS Director Search Down to a Couple of Candidates; Joe Johnston Comments on Helming EPISODE VII

Speaking with MTV News, Marshall revealed that he?s got the inside scoop on what?s going on with the director search, but he?s unable to reveal anything:

?I do [have some inside info on the director] but I can?t reveal it, or I won?t be alive tomorrow.?

Marshall did say, however, that the search has been whittled down to ?a couple of candidates, but I don?t know how soon that will be revealed.?

Spurned by a recent editorial by Movies.com editor Erik Davis in which Johnston was heralded as a great choice to helm Episode VII, Huffington Post reached out to the director for his thoughts on directing ?it?:

?A lot would depend on what ?it? is. I am very glad to see LucasFilm cranking up to get productive again, regardless of who ends up doing it.?

Star Wars Bits: Carrie Fisher Confirms Her Return, Billy Dee Williams Comments, Tom Hiddleston & David Tennant Want In

• Carrie Fisher told fans at a book signing that she will, in fact, be a part of Star Wars Episode VII.
  • Billy Dee Williams gave his thoughts while buying an Icee.
  • Avengers villain Tom Hiddleston and former Doctor Who, David Tennant, would both love to be a part of the film.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably the biggest question fans have about the new Star Wars movies coming our way is: Will they bring back characters from the original trilogy? Well, it seems Mark Hamill - who played the hero of the saga, Luke Skywalker, in those first three films - has a few questions of his own that need answering before he'll commit to anything. E UK caught up with the actor at the premiere of his new movie, Sushi Girl. "We have questions about it," said Hamill, speaking for himself and Carrie Fischer. "And really, they're not even at the stage where they're able to answer those questions because, as far as I know, is there a story yet? Until I know more about what they have in mind, I think it's better to let Lucas Film make the announcements." Hamill was then asked about the possibility of another actor taking over the role - perhaps playing a slightly younger version of the character. "If they were going to do a story where Luke was too young or too old for me to play, they would get an age appropriate actor," he said. "There's so many good people."

Source

@The King of GnG: Star Trek VII? lol

anyways, i hope it's not some EU crap... i mean in one of those Chewbacca dies or something. Disgusting.

Also Vader could return, in ghost shape, like Obiwan did in SWEPIV.

I think he honestly doesn't know yet what they want to do with it but also doesn't want to just toss out speculation etc. If they follow the pattern of the first 2 trilogies then we're looking at a new main, and one that will be trained by the now older Luke as he was by Yoda etc.

Either way it'll be interesting to see where it goes but if they do confirm that the original characters and actors will come back then we basically know what they have in mind just from that move.

• 2 weeks later...

pjfb5hc7.jpg

Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as Mace Windu in 'Star Wars Episode 7'

Would Mace Windu appear in "Star Wars Episode 7"? The casting for the highly-anticipated movie has yet to be set but Samuel L. Jackson has expressed interest to reprise his role as the Jedi master. Though he already has a number of gigs on his plate, Jackson admitted that he was very "excited" about the space trilogy project.

"I'm not surprised but totally geeked by the idea of there being more Star Wars," so the Nick Fury of "The Avengers" excitedly told E! News. "It's like, okay, Obi-Wan was dead when episode four started, so maybe everyone thinks I'm dead and we'll find out what happened to Mace Windu."

He went on gushing, "I can come back as one-armed or a one-handed Jedi that's still around that didn't actually die." Urged further if he would like to return for the new trilogy, the 63-year-old actor enthused, "Hell yeah! I could do that or be a ghost hologram. I don't care. I just want to stay associated with the franchise. Not that I won't because I've been in three of them."

Asked what it was about the "Star Wars" franchise that made him want to return to it, Jackson answered, "I just always loved it. I always loved the idea of it, that there's this whole civilization out there somewhere else that's just as much fun and different and diverse and wild as we are."

Slated for a 2015 release, "Episode 7" is still hunting for its director. The project has secured Michael Ardnt to pen its screenplay. Further details of the project are currently scarce, but some people have been speculating that the story will take place after the events in "Return of Jedi".

Source

1978... sheesh. I waited in line at the theater for the original. Am I the only one on this site who was born 5 decades ago? :p

I am hoping they do some good things with these... there are also a ton of good SW books out there with some pretty decent story lines.

It has to happen really

Absolutely. Ford is Han Solo. If he won't agree to come back I'd rather have them say Han died between films than try to find a substitute.

Absolutely. Ford is Han Solo. If he won't agree to come back I'd rather have them say Han died between films than try to find a substitute.

If Ford was willing to do that garbage called Crystal Skull there shouldnt be a script out there he would turn down