Truly Overpriced Gadgets

On Android, cue ROM developers :p I've had my Droid Incredible from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 and then I stopped using it after I updated it to ICS. You can easily use an Android or iOS device 2+ years after initial release. I do agree they're expensive.

True of iPhones, but speaking about Android devices, you shouldn't have to resort to rooting and loading ROMS yourself within a contract period just to have an updated device. Carriers should butt out and let the owner update the device through the manufacturer directly.

My laptop. I paid ?1900 for it because I didn't want to compromise on anything.

It was mid 2011 and I wanted:

13", matte, high-res display (at least 1440x900).

Dedicated GPU.

Decent battery life.

As light as possible.

And all that on a student budget. Aside one machine it was impossible to find, so I loaned a little extra money and got this baby:

Sony Vaio VPCZ13M9E (from the legendary Vaio Z series that has been pushing boundaries since it existed):

13,3", matte, 1600x900 display with full sRGB and very near AdobeRGB coverage

nVidia Geforce GT 330M (and switchable Intel HD graphics) that actually handles Assassin's Creed 3 rather well

Intel Core i5-460M (hey, full-power, no ULV)

2x64GB SSD in RAID0 (blazing speed)

DVD+RW DL drive

5 hours of battery life surfing on Intel Graphics

2,4Ghz+5Ghz WiFi and an integrated HSPA modem.

A brilliant backlit keyboard and an exceptionally good (for a PC) multitouch touchpad. And a fingerprint sensor (and TPM) just for the lols.

All in a metal package that is really small and very light. One of the best-engineered laptops ever made. It's basically an ultrabook with a DVD drive, full-powered processor and dedicated graphics. But I paid for it :p

They also stopped making them or anything similar, so if this one breaks down I'll be in serious trouble unless I either go for a bigger one or one without dedicated graphics. Meh.

LoWoL.jpg

Downside: the hardware is so exotic (especially the graphics config) that it only runs Windows 7. Linux only works properly with a BIOS hack that disables dynamic graphics switching and Windows 8 totally freaks on the graphics drivers. OSX actually runs rather well but doesn't support the WiFi card from Intel :(

Any product from Bose or Monster.

Monster sure but Bose. Ya its expensive but its very good quality so that doesn't make it overpriced.

I nominate any android phone over $100

The Porsche Design P9981 Blackberry.. you'd have to be out of your tree to spend over $1,000 on that POS.

While it's more of an accessory to a gadget, i'm surprised noone has mentioned the craziness that is the price of ps vita memory cards.

True of iPhones, but speaking about Android devices, you shouldn't have to resort to rooting and loading ROMS yourself within a contract period just to have an updated device. Carriers should butt out and let the owner update the device through the manufacturer directly.

You really think that's going to happen? The carriers (and phone manufacturers) want you to upgrade, and lock you in for another two years. It's all about the money. Plus, there's no incentive for cell phone manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, etc.) to work with cell phone carriers on updating 'older' phones. Yeah, this also applies for iPhones.

My laptop. I paid ?1900 for it because I didn't want to compromise on anything.

It was mid 2011 and I wanted:

13", matte, high-res display (at least 1440x900).

Dedicated GPU.

Decent battery life.

As light as possible.

And all that on a student budget. Aside one machine it was impossible to find, so I loaned a little extra money and got this baby:

Sony Vaio VPCZ13M9E (from the legendary Vaio Z series that has been pushing boundaries since it existed):

13,3", matte, 1600x900 display with full sRGB and very near AdobeRGB coverage

nVidia Geforce GT 330M (and switchable Intel HD graphics) that actually handles Assassin's Creed 3 rather well

Intel Core i5-460M (hey, full-power, no ULV)

2x64GB SSD in RAID0 (blazing speed)

DVD+RW DL drive

5 hours of battery life surfing on Intel Graphics

2,4Ghz+5Ghz WiFi and an integrated HSPA modem.

A brilliant backlit keyboard and an exceptionally good (for a PC) multitouch touchpad. And a fingerprint sensor (and TPM) just for the lols.

All in a metal package that is really small and very light. One of the best-engineered laptops ever made. It's basically an ultrabook with a DVD drive, full-powered processor and dedicated graphics. But I paid for it :p

They also stopped making them or anything similar, so if this one breaks down I'll be in serious trouble unless I either go for a bigger one or one without dedicated graphics. Meh.

LoWoL.jpg

Downside: the hardware is so exotic (especially the graphics config) that it only runs Windows 7. Linux only works properly with a BIOS hack that disables dynamic graphics switching and Windows 8 totally freaks on the graphics drivers. OSX actually runs rather well but doesn't support the WiFi card from Intel :(

See my sig, I can beat your laptop quite easily :D (I don't meant to brag... but you did well into posting that it's indeed overpriced) bought it also mid 2011, 600?... Well, I'm going to admit, sony does have stunning designs, so I indeed envy you lol.

Personally i think for the most part you get what you pay for.

Yes some companies ask a premium price but usually they make very good products. Bose and Monster come to my mind about overpriced products. But at the same time they both make really good qiality product. Sennheiser is another one asking a premium price. But again really good quality for the most part.

The only thing i consider silly is those 200$ cables. That is just plain stupid. I've yet to see any difference between a speaker connected using a 200$ cable and a speaker connected with some lamp cable. And i did the test on a 3 grands CAD sound system ...

I used to have this laptop for work, I worked wordwide and needed something small to travel but I was also the firms 3d model designer so it needed to be good enough to run inventor at a decent speed.

Was by far the best laptop i've ever had/used. When I left the job I actually missed the laptop lol!

Mine actually ran xp. (firms network was XP and the company owner downgraded before I got the laptop).

But due to graphic driver issues as you mentioned, you could no longer use the speed/performance switch (it switched between onboard/dedi graphics).

See my sig, I can beat your laptop quite easily :D (I don't meant to brag... but you did well into posting that it's indeed overpriced) bought it also mid 2011, 600?... Well, I'm going to admit, sony does have stunning designs, so I indeed envy you lol.

Yes but that is 15,6" and probably weighs a ton :D I drag mine around one-handed like a tablet, it fits right with my books in my regular bag and lasts me 5 hours (at least) on a charge when I'm just taking notes or doing some simple programming in class ^^

I used to have this laptop for work, I worked wordwide and needed something small to travel but I was also the firms 3d model designer so it needed to be good enough to run inventor at a decent speed.

Was by far the best laptop i've ever had/used. When I left the job I actually missed the laptop lol!

Mine actually ran xp. (firms network was XP and the company owner downgraded before I got the laptop).

But due to graphic driver issues as you mentioned, you could no longer use the speed/performance switch (it switched between onboard/dedi graphics).

Oh yeah, you can run XP on it. Sony provided downgrade support for that. But this is indeed a fantastic machine that can handle any task. It's probably the most all-round laptop there is :p

[snip]

Oh yeah, you can run XP on it. Sony provided downgrade support for that. But this is indeed a fantastic machine that can handle any task. It's probably the most all-round laptop there is :p

Yeah I remember laughing that it actually needed an app from sony/modded drivers Etc. I remember thinking to myself, this laptop is so awesome it needs extra support! haha.

Yeah it really is a great laptop,it handled autodesk inventor better than my desktop in the office did! It rendered the desktop useless and I stopped using it :laugh:

edit: also the power button is super sexy!

edit: also the power button is super sexy!

I always start stroking it gently without even thinking when I'm just reading online.

This video is epic too:

(yes, the display really is that thin, must be around 3mm)

Personally i think for the most part you get what you pay for.

Yes some companies ask a premium price but usually they make very good products. Bose and Monster come to my mind about overpriced products. But at the same time they both make really good qiality product. Sennheiser is another one asking a premium price. But again really good quality for the most part.

The only thing i consider silly is those 200$ cables. That is just plain stupid. I've yet to see any difference between a speaker connected using a 200$ cable and a speaker connected with some lamp cable. And i did the test on a 3 grands CAD sound system ...

Oh man I just can't agree with you on that one, sure in some cases you do but companies like apple are the posterchilds for the opposite!

Oh man I just can't agree with you on that one, sure in some cases you do but companies like apple are the posterchilds for the opposite!

Dunno i owned one appple product in my life and it was totally worth the price asked. I have an iPod Touch 32GB and i can't complain about it. It's worth every penny i spent on it.

Monster sure but Bose. Ya its expensive but its very good quality so that doesn't make it overpriced.

I nominate any android phone over $100

I'll counter with all iPhones, overpriced accessory for the "cool" kids

Dunno i owned one appple product in my life and it was totally worth the price asked. I have an iPod Touch 32GB and i can't complain about it. It's worth every penny i spent on it.

Yes but keep in mind that you could have bought another device for half the money and said the exact same thing!