Crytek CEO: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles''

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles, not even 1% left"

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli is so confident that Crysis 3 will be the most technically accomplished game ever released on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that he's offered to wage a technological war against current-gen showstoppers Gears of War and Halo.

"Crysis 3 is absolutely maxing out the consoles," Yerli told VideoGamer.com during a recent press tour of the game. "There is absolutely not even 1% left.

"No game will ever look technically better than Crysis 3 on these consoles, flat out. Most games are not even anywhere near Crysis 2 technically. I'm not talking about art style ? art is subjective ? but the pure fact of what we have been cramming in with Crysis 2 on Xbox [360] and PlayStation [3], I've yet to see a game do that still today.

He continued: "Any day I will take a battle against Gears and Halo, whatever, the amount of data we put in and the detail level is far superior. With Crysis 3 we're pushing that to another level, but the PC is just two levels beyond."

Crysis 3, due for release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC in February, takes advantage of the latest version of Crytek's engine CryEngine 3, with the PC version making the most of DirectX11 to create "benchmark-setting graphical performance".

25490_6_f944ff5f70.jpg

The game is so technically impressive, Yerli believes, that the top-end work done on the PC version of the game will rival the graphical capabilities of next-gen consoles.

"That's why we said [two years ago] that Crysis 3 is next-gen ready already," Yerli added. "We did that without knowing the specs [of next-generation consoles], but it's not going to be much more than what we have done so far. And it turns out we were pretty much right."

Yerli's comments suggest that he and his team know all about the capabilities of Microsoft and Sony's next-generation systems. But what exactly is he prepared to let on?

Well, for starters, he thinks that the current high cost of memory and processors means that it's "impossible" for next-gen consoles to make an impact similar to that of the previous generation, and as a result, "the focus of next-gen" is not on graphical horsepower...

Source: Crysis 3 'maxes out consoles', says Crytek CEO, 'not even 1% left' - Crysis 3 for Xbox 360 News

what?? their doing DX11 on PC....

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

The vast majority of AAA games have been maxing out the current gen consoles for years, so of course it's not going to be any different with Crysis 3. In fact I'm sure it would be the same with next-gen consoles as well, as that's the entire point of a flexible engine - it scales to the resources available.

As usual, if you want to play games properly you need a decent gaming PC as current consoles can't even come close.

According to the system requirements for Crysis 3, it won't support DX9. This affects DX10 users too (like me). Other games that dropped support for DX9 in favour of DX11 also support DX10/10.1.

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

It does seem sudden, but then we've been stuck with DX9 games long past what many of us consider acceptable.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

what?? their doing DX11 on PC....

Yes, but not backward compatibility for DX 10 :/

Anyway, console hardware is outdated. It surprises me when developers like Naughty Dog and SCE Santa Monica Studio can make their games look good. I have Crysis 2 for the Xbox 360 and although it was impressive in terms of image quality, it wasn't great in terms of performance. I hope that they've improved it in that aspect with Crysis 3.

Exactly, my pc is probably 10x more capable than a 360 and I won't be able to play crysis 3 :(

It's not a huge surprise. Even though DX10 and 11 are generally compatible, from what I can tell there's a considerable performance difference between the two.

They can ditch dx9, but not Dx10 :(

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second. I don't buy this half baked BS from this fool. You only get as much as you can program out of any machine. Claiming you've maxed it out is utter BS. None of what he's saying is true cause all it takes is for a better programmer to come along and prove him wrong.

Wait DX11 doesn't run on DX10 GPUs? I am pretty sure that is incorrect.

I mean there is software and hardware DX support.

While RAGE did look good... from a distance. It's when you came up close to objects that weren't NPC's is when the ugly came out. Graphics weren't horrible overall, but it was weird to have such a beautiful yet ugly game. It was made even worse by the fact that when you did a 180, the environments and objects had to be textured. I had never seen that in a game before, and thought it was tacky.

I need it for 7.

Plus, how am I going to run DX11 on a dx10 card :s ?

Windows 7 comes with DX11. Also I don't believe its possible to run DX11 on a DX10 card.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

Almost. It was 2 after that..the Radeon X1k series was the last to support only DX9.

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second.

You're joking, right? Of course RAGE ran at 60fps - it didn't have dynamic lighting or dynamic skies, it had low resolution textures (just a huge amount of them), it had minimal physics, it used 2D sprites for vegetation and it had incredibly low polygon counts. And all those screenshots were taken at maximum settings. RAGE is the perfect example of what not to do with engine design and that's without even getting into the terrible gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't mean games can't get better. It just means the engine is maxing the console out, refinements to the engine could still be made and result in a better looking game. I mean the original Crysis couldn't run on consoles, the engine wasn't refined enough, but then they put it on the new Engine for Crysis 2 and suddenly Crysis works on consoles. Someone could make a horrendous looking game with an inefficient engine and still claim to have maxed out consoles.