Simcity 5 Beta 2

I love this game. Streets weren't perfectly circular as the circle road option kept freaking out trying to lay it, even has some prime beach front properties right at the top right. Definitely going to buy this game. Please don't lecture me about NDA's, at this point every man and his dog has seen the game.

post-1442-0-53820300-1361094909.jpg

• Like 2

got my key around 4 am this morning, installed and played a few sessions.

only thing I don't like is the graphics, when you zoom in, its all blurry and fuzzy.(makes the game look cheap in my opinion)

the map is just to small,

but overall, ill be buying it on release day, I did enjoy a few hours of it,, even if it was an hour at a time.

got my key around 4 am this morning, installed and played a few sessions.

only thing I don't like is the graphics, when you zoom in, its all blurry and fuzzy.(makes the game look cheap in my opinion)

the map is just to small,

but overall, ill be buying it on release day, I did enjoy a few hours of it,, even if it was an hour at a time.

Isn't the blurriness and fuzziness when zooming the Tiit-Shift effect in the Settings? It can be turned off I think.

Yeah I heard the maps were 2km by 2km but that can't be right. Going to re-watch the dev interviews tomorrow to double check.

Anyone know if you can access your city from multiple devices and on multiple OS's? I know SC5 for mac won't be released right away - but haven't been able to find anything about cross-platform gaming.

where did you hear that? from what i have been told they are all the same size.

Ryan Davis from Giantbomb said that he played it at a Maxis event and that the maps were much bigger.

Yeah I heard the maps were 2km by 2km but that can't be right. Going to re-watch the dev interviews tomorrow to double check.

Anyone know if you can access your city from multiple devices and on multiple OS's? I know SC5 for mac won't be released right away - but haven't been able to find anything about cross-platform gaming.

Origin syncs your saves to their servers, just as steam does :)

^ not so much that it syncs... it's always online so it's saved to the servers with a local backup

Origin syncs your saves to their servers, just as steam does :)

^ not so much that it syncs... it's always online so it's saved to the servers with a local backup

Thank you!

Beta was too short to really get a feel and enjoy. Really, just ONE HOUR of play?

Do like what one of the previous posters said and get a loan - it helps you spec up really quickly so you can try more stuff.

But yeah still pretty short..

i hope some feature from SC 2000 that omited in SC 4 make a came back.

waterfall, hydro power-plant, etc ....

They likely will - however, wind power is not a bad alternative for the green-power brigade.

I was in both closed betas, and based the core of my power grid on wind - a first for me in any city sim (I go back to SC2000 Unlimited, which also had wind as an option; however, the power output was so poor, I usually went oil or even nuclear, even from the jump). The biggest surprise (for me) was that wind in both closed betas was priced cheaper than coal - both on a straight-cost basis and per-BTU; that just plain boggled me. However, I can take YES for an answer.

Still, I'm wondering if the sandbox mode allows pricing adjustment - I want to use sandbox to do some real-world *mirror models*, and I already know that the wind pricing model is unrealistic (it doesn't match up with real-world costs).

Beta was too short to really get a feel and enjoy. Really, just ONE HOUR of play?

Both betas were more to test the back end, as opposed to full-up tests of everything. (Remember, a lot of options were walled off, and you couldn't even build high schools.)

However, in both betas, I still managed to get a lot done in those hourly sessions.

My quibbles don't even have to do with what was available (or not), but the oddities of cost bases - especially wind power.

Because of the in-game costs, wind is actually impossible to ignore for new mayors - it is cheaper than (surprisingly) coal. That HAS to be a design decision - the only way THAT happens in reality is due to bureaucratic fiddling (such as what the PRC is trying to do internally, in addition to the EU and US). Even with the environmental-mitigation costs of coal and oil (never mind those of even conventional nuclear), wind (on nearly ANY scale) would not undercut any of those others - let alone all. Has anyone else noticed any other quirks?