Windows 95 Widescreen Wallpaper

I revamped the original Windows 95 wallpaper and made into a widescreen format! I did not remaster it though!

Enjoy!

post-455563-0-65103200-1366403098.jpg

because he hates windows 8, and wants everyone to know it.

By making a widescreen wallpaper of the Windows 95 logo?

Anyway, thank you, lctb51. This will look nice on my Windows 98 box (or maybe on someone's wall)..

I'm sure this would make Nathan Lineback happy. :)

All of your replies are totally irrelevant to this thread! Its ashame people never have anything positive to say! I dont think you trollers are fully aware, without Windows 95, we would not have the Windows you're using today! I think it is a cool and nostalgic Wallpaper!

Nice wallpaper, I agree with you. Without Windows 95, today the computing world would not be what it is today. Windows 95' UI was a revolution that lead to the creation of Windows 7 and in my own opinion, Windows 8 is devolution unfortunately (in terns of desktop oriented commuting).

The wallpaper looks alot clearer now (if its the same one I posted)! We have come a very long way since Windows 95!

Do you remember Windows 95's IE4 desktop update? - It gave us the Quick Launch, flat toolbar buttons in Windows Explorer with the IE logo on the top right corner etc. How cool was that!? :D I remember getting excited about it at the time.

That practically was Windows 98's UI on top of Windows 95 (as far as I am aware).

I would choose Windows 98's UI anytime (that worked reliably and logically) over today's latest and greatest KDE 4 and GNOME 3 which has no common sense or any logic whatsoever (in my own opinion). I am not talking about OS stability, I am talking about GUI in general.

Oooooh Windows 95 had the best startup sound of all Windows, by freakin' far. 'Tis was a true work of art. I've had 10 years of formal musical training and I can tell you that it's really epic sweet. Ok? It's good. There.

Too bad it was compressed in 8-bit wav (like pretty much all sound at that time, mp3 was too heavy to be decoded in real-time, so everything was raw PCM, but mono 8-bit. It was terrible.).

Some insight into its composition (from Raymond Chen's blog):

Q: How did you come to compose "The Microsoft Sound"?

A: The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I'd been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, "Here's a specific problem -- solve it."

The thing from the agency said, "We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional," this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said "and it must be 3 1/4 seconds long."

I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It's like making a tiny little jewel.

In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I'd finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.

• Like 2

Windows 95 is my favorite OS, even more than the modern ones! It is represents simple times! It also represents really the start of what we are using now!

What I find so funny is that I remember when 95 came out.

People then were asking

How will I find all my programs if they are not icons in Windows on my desktop?

Microsoft answered - In the start menu is where you will find all your programs... think of it as one big folder with all the links.

Then Microsoft added a quick launch as well as gadgets that later became tiles...

Now with Windows 8 people ask .... Where is the start menu? to which Microsoft replies.. they are now Tiles which is the new start menu accessed by the corners of the screen....

Which if one were to think about it... those Icons have become the start menu and the desktop.

Windows 95 is my favorite OS, even more than the modern ones! It is represents simple times! It also represents really the start of what we are using now!

I personally don't like simple times :) I like technology and advancements. I have sympathy for Windows 95 but I would not use it.

Now with Windows 8 people ask .... Where is the start menu? to which Microsoft replies.. they are now Tiles which is the new start menu accessed by the corners of the screen....

Which if one were to think about it... those Icons have become the start menu and the desktop.

Start menu and icons don't require an entire context switch to access nor takes up the whole screen.

Start menu and icons don't require an entire context switch to access nor takes up the whole screen.

Uhm wrong hit your windows key-- and tell me the icon's don't fill the screen -- just like it used to be inside a window on the desktop on 3.1. (and you also have to move your cursor to the left and click- so there again it is the extra context switch also)

And I was actually stating how people complained about the icons not being on the desktop anymore... and how people got used to using the start menu but now the icons are back.

Just look at the old Windows 3.1 - especially the Packard Bell version. They used to place all the icons inside a Window that would be on the Desktop- The only separate ones were the control panel.

It would auto maximize filling the screen just like the new Tiles on the New Start menu in Windows 8.

I can actually say that I used Dos 4.0 through Windows 3.1, NT 3.51 , NT 4.0 , 95,98,ME. through Windows 8.

So for me this is the return of the ICONS to the desktop.

Oooooh Windows 95 had the best startup sound of all Windows, by freakin' far. 'Tis was a true work of art. I've had 10 years of formal musical training and I can tell you that it's really epic sweet. Ok? It's good. There.

Too bad it was compressed in 8-bit wav (like pretty much all sound at that time, mp3 was too heavy to be decoded in real-time, so everything was raw PCM, but mono 8-bit. It was terrible.).

Some insight into its composition (from Raymond Chen's blog):

The sound was very relaxing and therapeutic.

I've added it.

1654-Windows_95_Startup-Microsoft-2077254053.zip

Forgot to add, however here is a small file (no installation required) than can change your start-up sound without going through hacks,

windows 95?... oh yeah, i remember that one. after installing 3 or 4 programs on the next reboot you automatically got this:

f16xx08.jpg

Uhm wrong hit your windows key-- and tell me the icon's don't fill the screen -- just like it used to be inside a window on the desktop on 3.1. (and you also have to move your cursor to the left and click- so there again it is the extra context switch also)

And I was actually stating how people complained about the icons not being on the desktop anymore... and how people got used to using the start menu but now the icons are back.

Just look at the old Windows 3.1 - especially the Packard Bell version. They used to place all the icons inside a Window that would be on the Desktop- The only separate ones were the control panel.

It would auto maximize filling the screen just like the new Tiles on the New Start menu in Windows 8.

I can actually say that I used Dos 4.0 through Windows 3.1, NT 3.51 , NT 4.0 , 95,98,ME. through Windows 8.

So for me this is the return of the ICONS to the desktop.

I had never thought about the Start screen like that... It's very accurate.

I personally don't like simple times :) I like technology and advancements. I have sympathy for Windows 95 but I would not use it.

Here's another vote for liking the simple things. I like technology and advancements, but that usually turns into full blown bloat now a days!!

I've always hated those stupid windows startup, log off, log in, shut down sounds are they are still disabled almost immediately to this day!!

@OP:

I haven't seen that logo anywhere in years. Thanks for the flash back

Never did like that Bliss wallpaper it somehow lacked a theme for me

Ah yes Windows 3.1 where you had to install Dos first and manually configure hardware support, those were the days where being a geek was hard work.Windows 95 improved over the three editions and became a lot more user friendly which brought us into Windows 98 multi tasking on onwards and upwards to Windows 8 with its backward steps on user friendliness.In its day Windows 95 was a real innovative eye opener for many used to staring at a blank Dos screen full of white text and nothing in the way of an image or icon.