Indie Developers Won

probably the real reason they killed off XNA was this..... I liked XNA, wish they would of continued it....

Agreed. And for the console to not support Live Arcade games from the 360 was really confusing (And a direct result of the XNA decision I would imagine)...

Really some perplexing decisions with this console... Everything that it could have been, and this is what they came up with... :shakes head:

Nintendo having a go at MS

One might think I'd be glad Xbox won't allow indies to self-publish. It's actually a big negative, as indies need more exposure. #growthepie

https://twitter.com/Dan_Adelman/status/337238668924317696

Nintendo of Americas manager of business development.

Microsoft have left Sony a large open door with some of the absurd things they're doing to the Xbox business (it seems Microsoft are becoming the theatre of the absurd at the moment). I'm still glad I chose to PC game and I'm going to stick with that choice. I hope all the gamers and developers that are being screwed send Microsoft a message by jumping ship, games companies need to be called out on some of the shady practices being adopted of late.

Phil Harrison: So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [so] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system.

Phil Harrison.

I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

Well that settles it lol

from the interview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-phil-harrison-on-xbox-one-kinect-indie-games-and-red-rings

Phil Harrison: So, think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game. If I buy the disc from a store, I use that disc in my machine, I can give that disc to my son and he can play it on his 360 in his room. We both can't play at the same time, but the disc is the key to playing. I can go round to your house and give you that disc and you can play on that game as well.

What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [so] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system.

Phil Harrison.

I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

Well that settles it lol

from the interview

http://www.eurogamer...s-and-red-rings

This guy can't tell his head from his ass. If he can't see how it isn't different, MS is doomed.

This guy can't tell his head from his ass. If he can't see how it isn't different, MS is doomed.

I honestly think Sony let him go to plant him in MS and cause sabotage...

/seriously :rofl:

agreed, i dont think Ive ever purchased a used game so it doesnt effect me personally but this is certainly the dumbest thing I have ever seen in all my years of gaming (since atari)

They are just PS fans?

Nintendo / Sony are giving indie dev's far more freedom then Microsoft has in the past.

Ex. Nintendo allows full control of their price in the estore, so an indi dev can put their game on sale anytime they want, and change the current regular price at anytime.

Sony has gone out of the way to lesson sony's red tape, allow more freedom for indie to come on their platform.

This look like Microsoft still want to keep (for better or for worse) there micromanagement of all things on their platform.

agreed, i dont think Ive ever purchased a used game so it doesnt effect me personally but this is certainly the dumbest thing I have ever seen in all my years of gaming (since atari)

I'm going to try this with a different tool.

Originally with Hammers, I could give you my hammer, and you could go home and use my hammer at your workshop. I couldn't use the hammer at the same time, but we could use it at different workshops, as long as one of us had the Hammer.

Now with our digital Hammer, it's not different. I can now give you the hammer, and you can now use it at my workshop. If you want to use it at your workshop, you just have to pay us a fee. It's no different than before........ ( mind blown )

I honestly think Sony let him go to plant him in MS and cause sabotage...

/seriously :rofl:

I knew him (from media) since the PSX days as the boss of Sony Europe, so this funny fact popped in my head too. :D He FINALLY did it.

Nintendo / Sony are giving indie dev's far more freedom then Microsoft has in the past.

Ex. Nintendo allows full control of their price in the estore, so an indi dev can put their game on sale anytime they want, and change the current regular price at anytime.

Sony has gone out of the way to lesson sony's red tape, allow more freedom for indie to come on their platform.

This look like Microsoft still want to keep (for better or for worse) there micromanagement of all things on their platform.

hows that working out for Nintendo? and even now sony has to ###### themselves and give free stuff, and the best they can do is attract a few indie developers that make games that are not what sells consoles in the first place, and yet Microsoft is killing it with software sales,kinect sales and xbox live subscriptions.

somehow PSN game doesn't have the same ring to it as a Xbox live game,just saying.

I'm going to try this with a different tool.

Originally with Hammers, I could give you my hammer, and you could go home and use my hammer at your workshop. I couldn't use the hammer at the same time, but we could use it at different workshops, as long as one of us had the Hammer.

Now with our digital Hammer, it's not different. I can now give you the hammer, and you can now use it at my workshop. If you want to use it at your workshop, you just have to pay us a fee. It's no different than before........ ( mind blown )

not sure why you quoted me... but it was a great analogy

So I guess Microsoft put this on their website for nothing...

Could easily be regarding app development. Considering the direction they chose for the Xbox One and Windows, it would seem very fitting.

too many people jumping to conclusions... this was just the "hey we are here" announcement, E3 will be the real event

This is the most accurate post anyone can base their thoughts on, at this time.

You don't know what self-publishing means? It means they can put their game on XBL without having to find a middle-man publisher. Some of these games are made by 1 person, or a handful. They aren't publishers.... they're developers.

MS don't like that, and if you want MS to publish, you need to give them a 1 year exclusive on your game.

Sigh, if you're just going to make up BS FUD like that, please stick to your Sony forum.

am I just going to go around and claim that sony only allows self publishing if you sign a 2 year deal and 80% of the profits to Sony ? it's about as well sourced as that stuff you posted there.

Sigh, if you're just going to make up BS FUD like that, please stick to your Sony forum.

am I just going to go around and claim that sony only allows self publishing if you sign a 2 year deal and 80% of the profits to Sony ? it's about as well sourced as that stuff you posted there.

Nothing to do with self publishing. Go Google braid and limbo, if you want MS to publish you need to give exclusivity for a timed period. Both braid and limbo came to the ps3 a year later.

Jeez YOU guys are suppose to be the MS fans.

Nothing to do with self publishing. Go Google braid and limbo, if you want MS to publish you need to give exclusivity for a timed period. Both braid and limbo came to the ps3 a year later.

Braid and limbo both got a nice chunk of money from MS for the exclusive. But lets twist the truth to fit your reality.

Braid and limbo both got a nice chunk of money from MS for the exclusive. But lets twist the truth to fit your reality.

Read this, be amazed, Audioboxer does his homework.....

Now if you need me to actually spoon feed you the quotes from it, /facepalm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-making-an-xbla-game-the-inside-story-article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-making-an-xbla-game-the-inside-story-article

apparently not... https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xbox-one-will-include-small-game-and-app-teams

http://www.eurogamer...e-story-article

So what some OTHER developers not being able to get a good deal when they chose MS as their publishers, have to do with the two we talked about before... what happened to those guys and their bad ability to negotiate a deal has nothing to do with the braid and Limbo devs who did actually managed to nab a money deal for exclusive. might not have been a uge bonus, but they're "indie" games(not really, none of the games int hat article is what I class as indie either. indie today is just a marketing term heavily overused by small studios)

So what some OTHER developers not being able to get a good deal when they chose MS as their publishers, have to do with the two we talked about before... what happened to those guys and their bad ability to negotiate a deal has nothing to do with the braid and Limbo devs who did actually managed to nab a money deal for exclusive. might not have been a uge bonus, but they're "indie" games(not really, none of the games int hat article is what I class as indie either. indie today is just a marketing term heavily overused by small studios)

Uhhh Braid developer has talked openly about MS wanting things timed exclusive on XBLA

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/126427/Interview_Jonathan_Blow__Xbox_Live_Arcade_A_Pain_In_The_Ass_For_Indies.php

I like the stuff that comes out of the "indie" scene, so this might be the biggest reason I go for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One.

Or maybe I'll just get a new PC.