Do you use an adblocker?

Do you use an adblocker?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes, on all websites.
    • Yes, on most websites. I whitelist sites I care about - like Neowin.
    • No.
    • There is no adblocker available for my browser of choice.

Absolutely. I can hardly remember life before AdBlock.

It's a shame people gloat about adblocking here when we ensure that members only ever see inline ads that don't flash or popup. I even removed Intellitxt the other day for members too (the links that when hovered on show an ad card).

It's a shame people gloat about adblocking here when we ensure that members only ever see inline ads that don't flash or popup. I even removed Intellitxt the other day for members too (the links that when hovered on show an ad card).

I use this site a lot so I guess it is unfair for me to block it. White listed. It is the only site I have white listed.

*omfg! What the hell is that at the top of that page!? Oh.. It's an ad. I totally forgot what they looked like :p*

I've got adblock plus. But the websites that I visit a lot and don't have ads that annoy me I have whitelisted. (ABP also whitelists websites that have such ads like reddit.com)

Just out of curiosity, do ad providers have any ability to know if visitors to the sites they sell ads to are actually seeing them?

Do they alter how much they pay the sites based on ad views? Or do they have a bare minimum views to get paid?

ad providers can target ads to certain countries and they pay out based on unique IP hits for the ads, much like we pay news posters a fee for unique hits to articles. they also know when they are clicked on and when an ad animates etc, it's quite complex.

which sites that use'em?

I hates this kind of ads too, as sometimes such ads prevent me to click the proper link.

A few sites/forum I regularly visit. And yes it happens when I'm about to click a link and the pop-up blocks it.

Kind of depends on the browser and blocker. With Firefox and ABP for example (dont think the Chromium version can do this), I'd select "Open blockable items", and have it only show the javascript files (.js). Usually pretty easy to pick out the ones that are ad related just by looking at the domain that its coming from. Pretty handy when the generic list doesn't always cut it and it's not always visible.

Thanks. But I use Opera as main browser with FF secondary.

I block ads based on how annyoing they are, i use proxomitron for that purposes, so it works any browser in my computer.

block candidates:

- ads that using sound / music

- ads that use javascript to floats, to always visible regardless window size or where i scroll the page.

- ads that reload/refresh itself for new ads contents, after a while

- ads that repeatedly sent web-beacon even when i not navigates away from the pages

- ads that open new tab / pop-up.

- ads that use https, I'll add the https certificates into browser's revoked/untrusted list!

whenever I found such ads, i'll see thru the html & .js files, and makes a proxomitron filter for it.

otherwise I'll leave the ads as is.

forgot to add: I also block the "facebook's like" on any non-facebook sites.

but what if you really like it and want to show everyone that you like so they think you are interesting and cool? :D

I just use the TPL from Microsoft Add-ons site for IE9, works wonderful!

I use it for all websites too, I'm not silly enough to click em and believe no one sholuld get money from me clicking about!

• 4 weeks later...

yes, on all sites. when i had proper broadband, i used to whitelist certain sites but now i'm using a 3G dongle on a pc as my only internet connection and i'm paying ?12 or so for a measly 3GB of data, i'm not wasting a single byte more than i have to viewing some **** i'm never going to click anyway.

• 3 months later...

Nod of respect to Mr. Steven Parker for allowing this topic to exist and flourish. A lot of site admins would send in The Mod Squad to crush the topic and issue warnings all around.

I've been becoming disenchanted with Neowin the last couple months, but this has gone some way in restoring my affection for the site.