The moment that Sony "won" E3 for consumer rights?

A quick question, what does this mean for online multiplayer passes on PS4? Or is EA (and others) discontinuing them on PS4 too?

It's up to the publishers so if they can screw you out of some money, they will try.

And yet they didn't come right out and say that to play multi player games online is no longer free. I could care less about used games, etc. I only buy games off the Playstation store and download them, I don't use any discs, too slow to load. I do play online multiplayer games, so they shouldn't have hid that fact, they should have just come right out and say it.

And yet they didn't come right out and say that to play multi player games online is no longer free. I could care less about used games, etc. I only buy games off the Playstation store and download them, I don't use any discs, too slow to load. I do play online multiplayer games, so they shouldn't have hid that fact, they should have just come right out and say it.

If you had something negative to say you're not going to announce it on the public stage are you?

Sheesh, people expected Microsoft to go into full detail about the Xbox One DRM stuff as well on stage but if it's negative, they aren't going to talk about it. It's hardly like they've hidden it either, they could have kept it until Gamescom or even later when their pre-orders are racking up and then dropped that on everyone.

I think the title is rather over the top... LMAO

With that said, I certainly hope Microsoft is rethinking their strategy a bit.

I think it's correct in that "won" is in quotes. A few years from now this will be looked back on as a quick win for Sony that didn't really do anything to delay the inevitible switch to digital gaming for the majority of people, to which none of their "win" applies. They scored a marketing victory for now. As usual, Microsoft is thinking about 7 steps (and years) ahead of the game. They're going to be in a better place to accomodate future digital growth and management.

You know I personally love installing my games to the hdd. My want for that out weighs my caring about the 24hr check in. I guess cause when you have kids and other people playing your console you start realizing that disc do not last long. Also the family sharing is a major plus cause i figure between some of my friends that i consider family and my actual family we will have a massive collection of games where as i might normally just have 1 or 2 games at launch. Though I do not know why they do not just make it so after 24 hours if your still offline your cloud games and sharing stop working and you can continue to play offline for the games that are purely offline and do not need the cloud by using the disc verification.

A quick question, what does this mean for online multiplayer passes on PS4? Or is EA (and others) discontinuing them on PS4 too?

I honestly never had a problem with the online passes, maybe I'm one of the few. If you buy the game "new", even months after launch at a reduced price, it's not anything "extra" aside from a code to input.

I think it's correct in that "won" is in quotes. A few years from now this will be looked back on as a quick win for Sony that didn't really do anything to delay the inevitible switch to digital gaming for the majority of people, to which none of their "win" applies. They scored a marketing victory for now. As usual, Microsoft is thinking about 7 steps (and years) ahead of the game. They're going to be in a better place to accomodate future digital growth and management.

Steam came out in 2003. One could argue that Sony and Microsoft are about ten years behind the game.

Xbox requirement of checking for internet connection every 24 hours is simply ridiculous and I hope a backlash in sales would return Microsoft to their senses. I'm a pc gamer but if I ever wanted to get a console it would definitely be a PS4, xbox's online requirement is a deal breaker to me personally; internet service here in Egypt is horrible. There is also a very narrow chance (but possible) scenario of complete internet service shutdown, which occurred during the 25 January revolution for about 2 weeks. These would have been an incredibly painful weeks (entertainment-wise) if it weren't for the single player games I had on my pc. (it was the mid-year holiday, imagine it without internet access with of course no way to go anywhere in the country unless you are joining the protests). I know revolutions are not that often, but it just shows that everything is possible (there is also a possibility of major protests this month against Morsy, which may cause possible instabilities).

Sorry for getting slightly political, just trying to prove a point.

Though not a gamer myself, my boy is into gaming, and we always had xbox consoles here exclusively. Given recent turn of events, looks like those days are gone. Looks like PS4 will get a shot...

• Like 2

And Sony did the same trying to include a Bluray player and be THE entertainment device with the PS3. Only took them forever to finally become adequate, and even then, they're not exactly any further than the 360... :ermm:

It's like Sony and Microsoft have switched sides.

"defining moment". Yeah right. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. Microsoft could reverse policy any day they want. Sales will determine everything.

Console gaming could have gone down the path of system wide DRM restrictions for both Sony and MS consoles if Sony had taken a different road last night. Now there is a choice or DRM, 24 hr online requirements, no used games etc (Xbone), OR none of that (PS4). I don't see how you couldn't say that is a defining moment for Sony and the console gaming industry. The crowd reaction alone was one of, if not the biggest E3 cheer I've ever heard. That means something, gamers were very concerned about what was going on with the Xbone, and Sony squashed all of it.

The other point is that people who think that MS can easily recant and change their DRM policies may not be thinking this through. MS has surely signed contracts with their publishers and developers with these policies in place that won't easily be reversed.

PS+ offers a lot of free content. So if you are all digital already something like PS+ would suit you nicely.