Your tech confessions: What are you afraid to admit?

This fascinates me. Can you tell me your specs?

Pentium E6700 3.2Ghz and requisite mobo (from garbage room in my building, their PSU was dead and they obviously had no idea. Funny story, I recognized the pictures they left on their hard drive so I know who the computer belonged to in the building. The Girl living there had some nudey pictures on it that me and my Wife had a good laugh at and then like good Humans deleted them.)

4GB 1.3Ghz Ram (I got from my Wife's Desktop that had a dead mobo, I just swapped with the mobo above and kept the case, the PSU was crap so I swapped it. At any given time I have probably 10 PSU's in my house. Simply because I can't bring myself to throw them out and I keep acquiring more. Usually when I upgrade someones computer they just let me keep the parts. This includes the several fans I have in my machine.)

HD 7770 (I admit, I bought this. People don't give away/throw out nice graphics cards, in general.) 

It has a 64GB SSD which was given to me by a co-worker when he bought a new one. For no reason other than he knows I like collecting hard drives. 2x 500GB Drives are also in the machine as well as 1 1TB Drive. All were acquired somehow that I forget, one of them is a 2.5' drive and be damned if I can remember where that came from. Works great though. Some DVD-Rom I had, I think I actually got it from work. We have literally 50+ of them and no one cares.

All I bought was the GPU and two external hard drives which don't count really. They are 2TB and 3TB in size. I'm buying another 3TB next week. And yes, I need it.

I actually had about 6 more computers but I ended up giving them away to friends, they were slightly worse than mine. I still have 3 LCD's laying around and that's after me and my Wife use 2x each.

My Wife insists next year I purchase a brand spanking new computer, I'm considering it.

tl:dr 3.2Ghz dual-core, 4GB ram, HD 7770 and over 7TB of storage.

On Topic: I don't know how to use an iPhone/iPad... like, at all.

I did a IT coarse at TAFE and when i got my first job they had to show me how to RDP

I have been working in IT for 7 years but I know nothing about programming and very little about web deign, and no desire to know.

I have not had my own PC at home for more than 3 years now, I only use my work laptop.

I bought a new media server for my house 3 months ago its still in the box, i couldn't be bothered working on it when i get home from work.

I bought an iMac in January 2008 because I didn't like the direction MS were taking with Windows Vista. Only to be positively surprised by Windows 7. The iMac died in early 2012.

I bought a Macbook Air in June 2013 because I don't like the direction MS are taking with Windows 8.x.

We shall see if history is going to repeat itself.

Pentium E6700 3.2Ghz and requisite mobo (from garbage room in my building, their PSU was dead and they obviously had no idea. Funny story, I recognized the pictures they left on their hard drive so I know who the computer belonged to in the building. The Girl living there had some nudey pictures on it that me and my Wife had a good laugh at and then like good Humans deleted them.)

4GB 1.3Ghz Ram (I got from my Wife's Desktop that had a dead mobo, I just swapped with the mobo above and kept the case, the PSU was crap so I swapped it. At any given time I have probably 10 PSU's in my house. Simply because I can't bring myself to throw them out and I keep acquiring more. Usually when I upgrade someones computer they just let me keep the parts. This includes the several fans I have in my machine.)

HD 7770 (I admit, I bought this. People don't give away/throw out nice graphics cards, in general.) 

It has a 64GB SSD which was given to me by a co-worker when he bought a new one. For no reason other than he knows I like collecting hard drives. 2x 500GB Drives are also in the machine as well as 1 1TB Drive. All were acquired somehow that I forget, one of them is a 2.5' drive and be damned if I can remember where that came from. Works great though. Some DVD-Rom I had, I think I actually got it from work. We have literally 50+ of them and no one cares.

All I bought was the GPU and two external hard drives which don't count really. They are 2TB and 3TB in size. I'm buying another 3TB next week. And yes, I need it.

I actually had about 6 more computers but I ended up giving them away to friends, they were slightly worse than mine. I still have 3 LCD's laying around and that's after me and my Wife use 2x each.

My Wife insists next year I purchase a brand spanking new computer, I'm considering it.

tl:dr 3.2Ghz dual-core, 4GB ram, HD 7770 and over 7TB of storage.

On Topic: I don't know how to use an iPhone/iPad... like, at all.

you're my new favorite member here. Im not joking. For some reason I really like people that can work with what others think are just garbage. What've you done is admirable from a DIY/Sustainability/Retro computing POV.

• Like 2

you're my new favorite member here. Im not joking. For some reason I really like people that can work with what others think are just garbage. What've you done is admirable from a DIY/Sustainability/Retro computing POV.

Ah well thank you, it really just comes down to me being a tight ass with money, lol.

Ah well thank you, it really just comes down to me being a tight ass with money, lol.

We all are tight at the moment, bad times really. The solution is being creative with what we have.

Not necessarily things I'm afraid to admit, but nevertheless, tech related : 

1) I didn't learn to touch type the 'normal way', i.e. home keys and everything. It just sort of...happened (after a lot of frustration and swearing).

2) My PC will be 5 years old this December. Have never built a PC, partly because I'm scared I might screw up something. 

3) I don't regularly backup. Scratch that. I never really backup at all. I have an external HDD which is being used for music, photo, docs, in case the internal HDD dies (which just happened a couple of months ago). I don't want to pay for online backup, so I don't.

4) I still have a 256 mb video card, so I don't really play any games. 

5) Wanted to learn how to Photoshop and sort of did a bit. Then I didn't use it for a while and now I suck at it. 

6) Never used OS X, though I would like to.

7) I have a cheapo Android tablet and I want to root it, but to me, that's like Sci-Fi. 

8) In the XP days I had a lot of custom themes that, when applied, basically turned the entire desktop black, so I'd have to blindly click to somehow try and restore the default theme.

9) The first time I double clicked that space between the tile bar and tabs in Task Manager, which hid the actual title bar, I freaked out. Didn't know how to bring it back.

10) I found out just a couple of months ago that you can rename things by pressing F2.

11) I have never used Vista.

12) The first time I tried to install an OS on my own (it was XP), I accidentally created a 24 mb instead of a 24 GB partition. 

13) I had 3 Walkmans. 

I finally thought of some things...

1. I never cleaned CD's with outward strokes like everyone said you had to do. I always did it in a circle... and nothing ever got ruined.

2. As good as I think I would probably be at programming, I know next to nothing about it--no languages, format, nothing. I can write decent scripts in bash/sh/ksh/whatever, but that's it. Not sure how much of it would carry over.

3. I'm still not 100% sure how flash memory works and how it is so much faster--it seems like it would take longer to find data, based on what I do know about how things are stored. Which tells me I clearly don't know enough :laugh:

• Like 1

At uni, I was taught OOP via Java (1.0, then 1.1, then 1.2).  I promptly and deliberately forgot all I was ever taught because I found Java (back then) to be a pointless and horrendous language.  It took me quite a while to understand OOP, at first I just didn't "get it".

Not necessarily things I'm afraid to admit, but nevertheless, tech related : 

9) The first time I double clicked that space between the tile bar and tabs in Task Manager, which hid the actual title bar, I freaked out. Didn't know how to bring it back.

10) I found out just a couple of months ago that you can rename things by pressing F2.

Holy crap #9....  :|  :|  :|

Just found out about #2...

Once I forgot to remove the cdrom drive as primary boot partition and windows vista kept installing forever, every reboot = new installation 6 hours of total n00bness.

I still haven't learned Cisco networking even though I have several sitting on my desk for the purpose of me playing around with. I should be doing it at my current job where I have access to all kinds of Cisco hardware.

me too, I have too look at the keyboard to type

Computer science class taught me that I needed to learn to type properly REAL quick. Now I type like 110-120 WPM. :D

Also, I had no idea you could double click the task manager and hide the titlebar either! I'm gonna have to read through this thread now that it's longer and learn a few things. :laugh:

At uni, I was taught OOP via Java (1.0, then 1.1, then 1.2).  I promptly and deliberately forgot all I was ever taught because I found Java (back then) to be a pointless and horrendous language.  It took me quite a while to understand OOP, at first I just didn't "get it".

Java is still a pointless and horrendous language, haha.

Computer science class taught me that I needed to learn to type properly REAL quick. Now I type like 110-120 WPM. :D

Also, I had no idea you could double click the task manager and hide the titlebar either! I'm gonna have to read through this thread now that it's longer and learn a few things. :laugh:

Java is still a pointless and horrendous language, haha.

we shall n00b away my friend :laugh:

UwC4CCm.jpg

PowerPoint is my main Image creator/editor :rofl: 

Lol, I make diagrams in PowerPoint all the time.  Also use it to annotate photos.

My tech confession is:  I'm pretty sure PAR2 works by magic or some kind of sorcery. 

Blah, that's not a very good one.  I can think of a better one... hmmm...

Once I forgot to remove the cdrom drive as primary boot partition and windows vista kept installing forever, every reboot = new installation 6 hours of total n00bness.

I've done a few of those, during XP Install it would prompt for me to press any key to boot from cd.. which of course isn't needed after install is done (Just let it keep booting).. however I would hit it and go through the install AGAIN.

Another Confession:

I am a good programmer, but I always feel like I am a poor coder when I look at other peoples source code and it looks so much cleaner and proper than my own code.

I made the mistake of restarting an Exchange server to fix a MAC address issue on Hyper-V in the middle of peak hours..freaking windows updates decided to apply, lost email for about an hour and got chewed out - I kicked the chair beside me in anger when I saw it saying applying updates and thought I broke my foot; I had to drive my self to the "quick care" for x-rays because it was so swollen I couldn't put my shoe on. D'oh

It took until 2012 until I had a smartphone.

Same here. In hindsight, I could've waited longer, but what's done is done. 

I am completely ignorant when it comes to Powershell. It looks shiny and everything, but I am no closer to understanding it than I am to understanding quantum physics.