XBOX One will work without Kinect plugged in

That's true but it's possible that Microsoft can drop faster than Sony due to RAM.

There's more components that go into making the Kinect than sticks of RAM, which drops in price very quickly. The early adopters get screwed when it comes to the latest RAM but obviously buying it on the industrial scale like Sony will be is going to drop their prices very quickly. More so because for all we know it's the same DIEs used in laptops etc. Same could be said for Kinect potentially, but I doubt all the pieces come from one supplier which means they'll have all sorts of supplies to manage.

I imagine Kinect needs it's own assembly lines to produce it too never mind the price of the components. That'll be a cost that needs covering which the consumer picks up.

If Sony couldn't drop the PS3 price lower than the 360 with the only major difference being the BR (which they are part owner to the tech), then yeah, Kinect's price/inclusion is even worse. Really don't get why people are trying to dismiss that :laugh:

I imagine Kinect needs it's own assembly lines to produce it too never mind the price of the components. That'll be a cost that needs covering which the consumer picks up.

If Sony couldn't drop the PS3 price lower than the 360 with the only major difference being the BR (which they are part owner to the tech), then yeah, Kinect's price/inclusion is even worse. Really don't get why people are trying to dismiss that :laugh:

There is one possible difference.  With BluRay, it was still very much new tech and Sony was having to invest a lot in order to ramp up production of things like the laser diodes, etc.

Kinect may not be a cheap part, but I would hazard a guess that most of the tech is not something brand new or something that's only made for Kinect.  That means costs could drop quicker over time vs Sony's BluRay costs. If they are using 'off the shelf parts' that could mean quicker cost drops.  That's one reason Sony and MS chose off the shelf pc parts for their consoles.  It will all drop in price thanks to how widely used the parts are elsewhere.

I still don't think MS will be able to lower the price with the same bundle without taking a loss. 

If someone doesn't like Kinect, don't buy Xbox One. If you want XB1 only games, then you will have to swallow the Kinect pill.

To use everyone's favorite car analogy, you don't get to buy a car with a single seat because you have no use for other seats. (I know :p I know cars come with many options and models so let's assume you are buying a Tesla Model S)

I am sure you would have a "take it or leave it attitude" if it was Sony trying to pull the same swindle? I doubt it. You'd be trashing them relentlessly.

Demanding consumers pay for optional peripherals, regardless of what company does it, is a ###### thing to do. If Sony was trying to force Move or some other additional device on us I would be saying exactly the same thing. I've been a scathing critic of the proprietary memory cards Sony uses for the Vita and the stupid proprietary connector it uses.

I am sure you would have a "take it or leave it attitude" if it was Sony trying to pull the same swindle? I doubt it. You'd be trashing them relentlessly.

Demanding consumers pay for optional peripherals, regardless of what company does it, is a ****ty thing to do. If Sony was trying to force Move or some other additional device on us I would be saying exactly the same thing. I've been a scathing critic of the proprietary memory cards Sony uses for the Vita and the stupid proprietary connector it uses.

Forcing the move isn't the same thing though. the move completely replaces the traditional controller.

while the Kinect can replace the controller, it's most interestign aspects is enhancing the controller experience. 

Demanding consumers pay for optional peripherals, regardless of what company does it, is a ****ty thing to do. If Sony was trying to force Move or some other additional device on us I would be saying exactly the same thing. I've been a scathing critic of the proprietary memory cards Sony uses for the Vita and the stupid proprietary connector it uses.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I haven't trashed them for their design choices. It's their console and they can put in whatever the hell they want.

Forcing the move isn't the same thing though. the move completely replaces the traditional controller.

while the Kinect can replace the controller, it's most interestign aspects is enhancing the controller experience. 

So bundling a accessory which does motion control is different?

Did you notice that the PS4 controller has a light at the front of it so the PS Eye could be used with it.. 'enhancing the controller experience'. :/  

Technically, with it not needed to be plugged in, its a peripheral but there's going to be a constant requirement to have it there in a lot of games I can imagine.

People like you hinder innovation because if they listened to you, Kinect would never get anywhere because it'd never have the developer backing to get anywhere.

I think if you want people to try and use new technology that is peripheral to the main use of the device, you have to be willing to eat the cost. See, for example, Siri, which Apple paid for, and only released on newer hardware (as a selling point, to some people), but never actually charged for.

We'll see how it pans out. I have a first gen Kinect, and I found it to be frustratingly cool, in that when it worked it was great, and when it didn't, you wondered why anyone ever wasted their time on the project at all.

Technically, with it not needed to be plugged in, its a peripheral but there's going to be a constant requirement to have it there in a lot of games I can imagine.

People like you hinder innovation because if they listened to you, Kinect would never get anywhere because it'd never have the developer backing to get anywhere.

Kinect is a broken technology that doesnt work well for gaming. Excuse us for hindering this so called "innovation".

I personally am a fan of the Kinect and am happy they are bundling it, but I do agree with many people here that it shouldn't be forced onto everyone. Any extra accessory should really be good enough to sell itself.

It wasn't the lack of developer's using the kinect of current-gen that made it frustrating and unappealing at times.

• Like 1

Kinect is a broken technology that doesnt work well for gaming. Excuse us for hindering this so called "innovation".

So you've used the second one have you and tried it out? So you'd know it features the abilities:

• Recognising 6 people at once, even when sat on a sofa
  • 1080p stream
  • NO LAG (Due to onboard hardware, massive point for gaming)
  • Knows your heart rate
  • Knows your BMI
  • Recognises many variables like if your looking at the TV, who's got what controller
  • Individual finger positioning

If you can't see why all those features can't benefit gaming along side your controller you're being a fanboy in denial. The fact that it has no lag means its completely suitable for gaming purposes.

Did you also know about little quirks like the Kinect knows who is holding the controller so it applies their controller settings?

So yeah, broken technology sure. Innovation? Show me something else that does the same. Also I love how people can call something broken with no future when they haven't even tried it, it's hilarious. The kinect has potential to be a massive player in this generation.

• Like 1

So you've used the second one have you and tried it out? So you'd know it features the abilities:

• 1080p stream
  • Knows your heart rate
  • Knows your BMI
  • Recognises many variables like if your looking at the TV, who's got what controller

If you can't see why all those features can't benefit gaming along side your controller you're being a fanboy in denial. The fact that it has no lag means its completely suitable for gaming purposes.

Did you also know about little quirks like the Kinect knows who is holding the controller so it applies their controller settings?

So yeah, broken technology sure. Innovation? Show me something else that does the same. Also I love how people can call something broken with no future when they haven't even tried it, it's hilarious. The kinect has potential to be a massive player in this generation.

There is lag...it's just much less noticeable, as with anything, there is lag, it's just the amount of lag that ruins the experience which is the thing to note. Just playing devil's advocate here. Some things people need to be forced to have so they realize it's a good thing. I believe Kinect 2.0 is one of them.

• 1080p stream
  • Knows your heart rate
  • Knows your BMI

Lol listing specs doesnt make the thing innovative. At this point in time all we have to go on is how woeful for actual gaming Kinect 1 was and the fact that Microsoft have retreated from the "you are the controller" mantra whilst relegating the Kinect 2 to a pack in that lets you control the dashboard with your voice. Just look at Ryse; a Kinect focused game to now simply "enhanced with Kinect". Tells all but the fanboys that Kinect is hardly the innovative device Microsoft promised it to be.  

Everything you listed has nothing to do with gaming really. They are very small things that most could live without.

You have very low standards for "innovation".

There is lag...it's just much less noticeable, as with anything, there is lag, it's just the amount of lag that ruins the experience which is the thing to note. Just playing devil's advocate here. Some things people need to be forced to have so they realize it's a good thing. I believe Kinect 2.0 is one of them.

Input lag on 360 WITH A CONTROLLER was 60ms to 200ms.

Input lag on the X1 WITH KINECT is 60ms~

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_reduces_wireless_controller_latency_by_20.html

and

Source: http://www.brekel.com/kinect-2-details/

Do your research.

Lol listing specs doesnt make the thing innovative. At this point in time all we have to go on is how woeful for actual gaming Kinect 1 was and the fact that Microsoft have retreated from the "you are the controller" mantra whilst relegating the Kinect 2 to a pack in that lets you control the dashboard with your voice. Just look at Ryse; a Kinect focused game to now simply "enhanced with Kinect". Tells all but the fanboys that Kinect is hardly the innovative device Microsoft promised it to be.  

Everything you listed has nothing to do with gaming really. They are very small things that most could live without.

You have very low standards for "innovation".

So a refreshed console with updated specs is innovation then?

People here are beyond belief. Standing infront of a camera which can track the exact positions of 6 people at 1080p 60ms~ is innovation. If not, then you have a rather high bar for innovation.

• Like 1

Input lag on 360 WITH A CONTROLLER was 60ms to 200ms.

Input lag on the X1 WITH KINECT is 60ms~

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_reduces_wireless_controller_latency_by_20.html

and

Source: http://www.brekel.com/kinect-2-details/

Do your research.

Ha ha and on the links you posted the Kinect 1 has ~90ms input lag and we all know that was more responsive than the controller too :|

So a refreshed console with updated specs is innovation then?

Nope 

People here are beyond belief. Standing infront of a camera which can track the exact positions of 6 people at 1080p 60ms~ is innovation. If not, then you have a rather high bar for innovation.

If you want to be anal, its an update to the specs of the Kinect one, for which you just derided in your previous sentence. 

Ha ha and on the links you posted the Kinect 1 has ~90ms input lag and we all know that was more responsive than the controller too :|

Come back to me with actual information and not childish remarks on how the evolution of the fastest selling device in history isn't innovation and then I'll listen. Does anything do the same? No, then by the definition of innovation in the English language, its innovation.

Can't even have a mature discussion with people like you. 

If you want to be anal, its an update to the specs of the Kinect one, for which you just derided in your previous sentence. 

Every bullet point I listed is a feature what didn't exist on the first Kinect. Last time I checked, thats called innovation.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I haven't trashed them for their design choices. It's their console and they can put in whatever the hell they want.

This is hardly just a design choice. But OK.

Every bullet point I listed is a feature what didn't exist on the first Kinect. Last time I checked, thats called innovation.

So COD 24 adding a new gun and killstreak is innovation? Adding new features isnt innovation. Regardless we are getting off topic over a superfluous definition of innovative. My original assertion that Kinect doesnt work for gaming remains unchallenged other than by your claim that "we havent tried it yet". The onus is on Microsoft to prove otherwise given their poor record with the first Kinect.

Come back to me with actual information and not childish remarks on how the evolution of the fastest selling device in history isn't innovation and then I'll listen. Does anything do the same? No, then by the definition of innovation in the English language, its innovation.

Can't even have a mature discussion with people like you. 

Lol put your toys back in the pram. No need to have a tantrum when someone disagrees with you.

So COD 24 adding a new gun and killstreak is innovation? Adding new features isnt innovation. Regardless we are getting off topic over a superfluous definition of innovative. My original assertion that Kinect doesnt work for gaming remains unchallenged other than by your claim that "we havent tried it yet". The onus is on Microsoft to prove otherwise given their poor record with the first Kinect.

Lol put your toys back in the pram. No need to have a tantrum when someone disagrees with you.

Now you're just playing stupid. Obviously it depends on the context of innovation but I've already made my points and you're just saying anything to try and get back to me. At one point have you ever come back with anything to add to the discussion but trying to point flaws at what I bring to the table.

Exactly what I knew you was going to say as well, just enforces my point. Honestly think I give a toss? I'm at work and I've just gone down with my team and ate free donuts and ice cream. I have no toys to throw out of the pram to begin with, you're slating something you've not even tried. Im out of here, obviously people who disagree with Kinect have no reason to hate on it other than its cool amongst the coolest crew here.

If Kinect were built in conjunction with the Xbox One... Then it's not forced because because X1 & Kinect are one, bust have to be housed in separate bodies.

When you guarantee every developer that there is a Kinect in every box... It's coded into the Xbox One on a system level, that means developers will more than likely bother with Kinect (in any sort of capacity), than to just look at it, shrug , and whatever it.  

I'm no developer.. But if I can be guaranteed that everyone will have the exact same box no matter what for the next 10yrs or so... I am way more intrigued to give it a try than to turn a blind eye towards it.  

Well if they are supposed to be one, why do they allow it to be disconnected?

It does not matter if it is guaranteed to be in everyones home.  That would actually be a useless statistic.  What if developers spend millions to develop Kinect features, when only a small percentage of users actually kept their Kinect plugged in and turned on?

Actual accessory sales prove how many people are actually using it (it has less amount of people that buy it and hate it).

What if Kinect is guaranteed to be in everybody's home, but usage statistics (if they would even do that) shows it is only being used by a very small percentage?  People like me that are forced to get it will disconnect it right away.  No matter what the features are, I will more than likely never....ever use it.  I am not the only one either.  So how is bundling it a valid statistic?

Device in home does not mean it is being used.

Actual accessory sales are more of a guarantee that somebody buying Kinect after the fact are people that actually want it.  Does it have some sales where people would hate it?  Sure.  But not as much as if it is bundled.

Take Windows for example.  If you are a developer, and all of these happy sunshine articles from Microsoft about how many Windows 8 (not trying to start anything about this, I actually really like Windows 8) licenses sold would convince you to spend a significant amount of your budget on Windows 8-only features?  No.  Do you know what does?  Marketshare stats.

Saying Kinect is bust for gaming because it wasn't used much for the 360 isn't fully correct.  It came late in the 360s life, it was limited in how much data it could track, 2 people max with fewer points compared to v2.  And debs weren't ready to risk it, not every 360 owner had one, that' not the case going into the start of the XB1 and Kinect v2.

Being quick to write it off because of the older gen is wrong IMO.

Well if they are supposed to be one, why do they allow it to be disconnected?

Because that is the least they can do* while still staying true to their "vision"? Besides Kinect will be the fastest way to switch between games/apps and snapping on the Xbox One.

*in response to people's concerns about privacy.