PS4 owners may get Gigabit broadband from Virgin broadband

124Megabytes per second equals 12 Gigabits

124Megabits per second equals 1 Gigabit

Can we go back to topic now?

Really... what... I'll drop the subject and you can pick up a book on basic networking.

You're getting your units mixed up. There are 8 bits to a byte so a 30Mbit/sec connection is 3.75Mbyte/sec. Mb = megabit and MB = megabyte. The capitalisation makes all the difference.

Thats precisely what im saying, just not working by factor of 8. So you guys still think you can hit 1000mbps out of a 1Gbit connection?

Thats precisely what im saying, just not working by factor of 8. So you guys still think you can hit 1000mbps out of a 1Gbit connection?

No. You can hit 1024Mbps (megabits per second) on a 1 gigabit connection.  1024 megabits per second would equal 128MB/sec (megabytes).

• Like 2

No. You can hit 1024Mbps (megabits per second) on a 1 gigabit connection. 1024 megabits per second would equal 128MB/sec (megabytes).

Yeap that's exactly what im saying. Did we really just take this long to figure a bit isn't a byte?

Virgin media have local congestion issues on the DOCSIS side of their network in a lot of places. Jonny is talking about the back haul side of things  (which is 100% fibre) which is just confusing the issue.  VM could provide 1 Gigabit connection using the coax they have but the local loop would not cope.

I didn't want to play this card but I have a BsC in Computer Networks and I've worked at the top ISP's in the UK, I have quite a thorough understanding of the UK's internet backbone.

ISP's often do have their own exchanges, they lease the property from BT and place their own equipment in them. That's called LLU.

They don't have their own exchanges - they put their own equiptment (MSANS's, hand over frames etc) inside BT's exchange. Thats LLU. The exchange is still owned by BT

No. You can hit 1024Mbps (megabits per second) on a 1 gigabit connection.  1024 megabits per second would equal 128MB/sec (megabytes).

Only if you're working in base 2 ;)

I didn't want to play this card but I have a BsC in Computer Networks and I've worked at the top ISP's in the UK, I have quite a thorough understanding of the UK's internet backbone.

ISP's often do have their own exchanges, they lease the property from BT and place their own equipment in them. That's called LLU.

No lie. The only thing which holds UK back is the quality of copper used when BT installed the phone network, the high cable rental costs and tier 1 peering costs. You'd be surprised at the capacity of the top 3 ISP's.

You musta failed hard then, because VM doesn't use BT, they laid all their own cables and boxes before BT was told they had to start leasing the lines out (as BT Wholesale).

BT doesn't use VM's infastructure and VM doesn't use BT's infastructure.

Virgin's network would be able to handle gigabit connections no problem. They had problems with old equipment - the local amplifiers they used had a nasty habit of dying randomly. They have now fixed the majority of those issues, and they'd have no problem providing gigabit (burst at least) to the proportion that would actually use it.

One thing which the older (NTL/C&W) services did was install thin/poor quality copper cabling for the run between the street cab and house. RG-59 or RG-6 might be fine if you have a short run, or have a single service - but if you have a longish run to your street cab (ours is a good few hundred feet) or have multiple services (lots of horrible splitters!) then your SNR is going to drop massively. I believe Virgin now use RG11 as standard for longer pulls which improves things drastically. I had that problem when we moved up to the 50Mbit service when it launched a few years back. Got Virgin to re-pull RG11 and all was well.

I'm looking forward to when Virgin finally provide FTTH rather than Copper for the last leg. 

You musta failed hard then, because VM doesn't use BT, they laid all their own cables and boxes before BT was told they had to start leasing the lines out (as BT Wholesale).

BT doesn't use VM's infastructure and VM doesn't use BT's infastructure.

The exact reason Im with VM, I was simply generalising ISPs.

Virgin's network would be able to handle gigabit connections no problem. They had problems with old equipment - the local amplifiers they used had a nasty habit of dying randomly. They have now fixed the majority of those issues, and they'd have no problem providing gigabit (burst at least) to the proportion that would actually use it.

They would need a lot more downstream channels. Currently I think they have ~6. With each euro docsis 3.0 channel doing  55.62 Mbit/s thats only 333Mbit/s over the 6 channels. When they did the 1.5Gbit test they had to bond a LOT more downstream channels - around 32.

They would need a lot more downstream channels. Currently I think they have ~6. With each euro docsis 3.0 channel doing  55.62 Mbit/s thats only 333Mbit/s over the 6 channels. When they did the 1.5Gbit test they had to bond a LOT more downstream channels - around 32.

That they would, indeed, have to. The modems in circulation now (they only provide "Superhubs" now, and the one team that did have access to the old 50mbit modems (can't think of the model number)) only support 8 channels anyway (which is what they're using currently).

If virgin media's say local loop at the exchange could handle everyones connection at maxiumum then why the need for traffic management, in some cases severly dropping your lines throughput through peak hours? its cus congestion and the local side of things cant cope. Apparently in my area ppls 100Mbit connections are getting dropped to 30-40Mbit during peak hours, i assume if you pass a certain trigger, i know its still fast and hopefully wont affect latency for games but still, its a sign that at least on the local side of things the modems cant cope... i.e. slow at upgrading there network.

Btw the bits and bytes arguement i think doesnt work when your talking about internet speeds maybe cus doesnt it work on like metric so 1000 bits = 100 byte or someat? 1000Mbits = 100 MB, but when your looking at file sizes on computers its imperial so 1KB = 1024Bytes? someat like that

So on my 30MB connection at home I get 30mbps? No, I get 3mbps max.

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

The hell? Since when does VM do a 30MB connection? Last I heard they did 120Mb.

Does VM offer 300Mb now?

The hell? Since when does VM do a 30MB connection? Last I heard they did 120Mb.

Does VM offer 300Mb now?

People throwing maths and short hand writings all over the place causing confusion.

We all know a bit <> byte, so lets get on with our lives.

They are actually going to be showing off a 1Gb thing at the Eurogamer expo but as far as all PS4 owners getting one, I'll believe it when I see it.  

So on my 30MB connection at home I get 30mbps? No, I get 3mbps max.

Gigabit <> Gigabyte

... 30Mega Bytes (MB) would be would be 240 Mb (mega bit)..... I'm not even gonna go over all the other mistakes you made, as you've already been ripped apart enough here

People throwing maths and short hand writings all over the place causing confusion.

We all know a bit <> byte, so lets get on with our lives.

I'm confused by those symbols, are you saying equals?

Only if you're working in base 2 ;)

Networking is SUPPOSE to be in Base 2... 1Gbit = 1024 Mbit in the end we always have two states per bit aka base 2... we will ignore QAM, TDMA, all those other physical transport ideas where you can go to Base 64 Base 128 etc using constellations because that's all at the physical layer...

but like everything else in this screwed up world...... we use base 10..... when the rest of the system uses base 2

As a Virgin Media Headend engineer / EX Service engineer, I can tell you that residential modems I.e Superhubs can acquire up to 8 downstream channels which will give you around about 400Mbits/s max throughput on the downstream. But even still the UK wont get these speeds for some time.

If you want to know abit more about how it all works id suggest having a look at this page.