A fake "stop downloading music illegally" letter?

Dear Sir,

We have detected via your IP address that you have been downloading music illegally and under the DMCA and Copyright Act we urge you to stop immediately. If you do not comply within 48 hours we have the right to terminate your internet access and you will have to pay a fine, or if you wish, you can settle the matter in court.  

We have also detected that one occupant of your current residence has a criminal conviction, which will be used against you should you take this matter to court.

If you believe we have made this claim in error, you may send us an email support@youtube.com and please provide detailed information as to why this claim is a mistake. 

If you do stop illegal downloading then no more action is needed.  If you want to download music you can try iTunes or Spotify.  They are both legal methods to access music. 

Thank you.

National Security Agency

How was that?

Dear Sir,

We have detected via your IP address that you have been downloading music illegally and under the DMCA and Copyright Act we urge you to stop immediately. If you do not comply within 48 hours we have the right to terminate your internet access and you will have to pay a fine, or if you wish, you can settle the matter in court.  

We have also detected that one occupant of your current residence has a criminal conviction, which will be used against you should you take this matter to court.

If you believe we have made this claim in error, you may send us an email support@youtube.com and please provide detailed information as to why this claim is a mistake. 

If you do stop illegal downloading then no more action is needed.  If you want to download music you can try iTunes or Spotify.  They are both legal methods to access music. 

Thank you.

National Security Agency

How was that?

Very professional sounding, unless he decides to e-mail youtube as your letter says :P

It's easy to tell someone else, somewhere else in the world to confront someone. The OP didn't solicit advice about dealing with this person, he asked for help in creating a fake letter.

Yeh its easy cause I`ve had to deal with someone much worse! Someone who actually did assault my flat mate, needless to say he then decided to visit again one day and all 3 of us, geeked out and twiglet armed pretty much just went "NO, ###### OFF!" and he never came back.

Honestly saying no isnt impossible!

Yeh its easy cause I`ve had to deal with someone much worse! Someone who actually did assault my flat mate, needless to say he then decided to visit again one day and all 3 of us, geeked out and twiglet armed pretty much just went "NO, **** OFF!" and he never came back.

Honestly saying no isnt impossible!

Exactly, he's an ex con, gotta think like one. They respond to firmness and assertion, the weak become their bitches, the OP in his zeal to be nice has become his bitch, hence why so many of us just said manf the F up and say NO and walk away. Avoiding confrontation, the wussy new way of doing things, is the reason he's in this situation to begin with, in the real world being weak will get you walked all over like the OP is expriencing

Fair comment.  But let's not misunderstand, confrontation and aggression are two separate things.  I confront people and problems but am rarely aggressive.  My point being that the guy just needs to be told - there's a chance (seeing as he is not reacting to hints) that he genuinely has no idea.

:)

Sure, I understood what you meant :)

He's been in prison for a long time and he's from a rough part of London.

It's all he's asked me for since moving here. It's the easiest way out without causing tension in the house as it won't be my fault, it will be the ISPs/copyright people.

Just give him midi files instead of mp3s.

Nik's completely right on this.  You just need to tell the guy you're not happy with doing it, and you're not going to do it anymore.

If he gets arsey and threatens you, contact the landlord and have him evicted; you shouldn't have to live in fear of the guy.

This thread is so stupid, just tell him and if there is any bother contact the landlord/police or move. I'm not a violent person but I would be ****ed off if I got a fake legal threat from my neighbor and I would get some subtle payback. Then taking the prison aspect into consideration, this is just pure idiotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo

Spend the next year training your body to become strong and lean. Take a few Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. When you are ready, you will need a large, fresh salmon. Keep it nearby. The next time he annoys you, slap him so hard with that salmon that it knocks him on his arse. If he attempts to retaliate, put him in a kimura lock and gently whisper in his ear, "You are in my prison now, bitch."

He believed it (I only briefly showed it him before reading it out).

10 minutes later, he came down and asked if I could rip one song from a CD onto his phone. He didn't care that I explained my optical drive would need to be installed to do this. I had to say yes (please don't question this) and he handed me three CDs. He wanted a track from each of them. This is the sort of person we're dealing with. He then said thanks and said he was popping out and would be back in half hour.

Guys, I think I want this topic locked. I'm fed up of people telling me to man up, when most of them wouldn't upset such a person in a shared house, especially when they naturally already began to be nice to them at first ('cause it's a sociable thing to do).