Developing in Linux for Linux....

Just tossing this out there as an option since you're working with Java, JetBrain's IntelliJ is a pretty nice IDE to work with too.  Commercial but there's a free community version as well (watered down of course), it supports a bunch of things besides Java (Python, Ruby, all the major JVM languages, etc), has Windows, OSX and *Nix builds, etc. Just my own opinion but preferred it to Eclipse, just seemed more stable for me, never mind "smoother" to use and overall more productive.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/index.html

Would sorely love to see Notepad++ ported over to *Nix one of these days though for an all purpose editor.

IntelliJ IDEA is alright. I'm liking Android Studio (based on IntelliJ) much more than ADT (based on Eclipse).

Hello,

su

./somerunable.sh (permissions set to run as program)

No passwd entry for "./somerunable.sh"

Different than Ubuntu?

Hello,

su

./somerunable.sh (permissions set to run as program)

No passwd entry for "./somerunable.sh"

Different than Ubuntu?

Requoting myself...

Im trying to run VirtualBox's guest additions, I copied everything off the disk, opened a shell, logged in as root using the su command but when I try to run the script, it says: No passwd entry for "./somerunable.sh"

Im 99% this worked in Ubuntu so....

Requoting myself...

Im trying to run VirtualBox's guest additions, I copied everything off the disk, opened a shell, logged in as root using the su command but when I try to run the script, it says: No passwd entry for "./somerunable.sh"

Im 99% this worked in Ubuntu so....

If you copied everything from the Guest Additions disc to a directory on your hard disk, it's likely that you need to make the shell script executable to run it directly. However it is generally much better to: become root, cd to the root of the disc, and run sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run instead. That said, I recommend that you install VirtualBox Guest Additions from the repository rather than from the ISO that ships with the virtualizer. In Debian or Ubuntu, you can do this by installing the virtualbox-guest-dkms package.

I have a few other recommendations for you as well. First, mount your VirtualBox shared folders in fstab so they are available as soon as you login. Since you don't do most of your work as root (or at least I hope you don't), it would probably also be very convenient to set the user and group you use most often in your virtual machine as the owner of the shared folder. If you are hosting this virtual machine on Windows (or your shared folder is otherwise hosted on a partition lacking a POSIX-compliant file system), you will automatically lose the permissions of any files written to the shared folder. The easiest way to counter this limitation is to mask all files and directories as rwx when you mount the shared folder. Putting all of this together, your fstab entry for a shared folder named "home" mounted at /media/sf_home and accessible by the user "riahc3" would look something like the following:

home /media/sf_home vboxsf rw,nofail,uid=riahc3,gid=users,umask=0775 0 0

Second, if you are still looking for a standalone source code editor comparable to Notepad++, I highly recommend Geany. It is mature, actively maintained, and available in the Debian archive.

Finally, there is an important limitation of VirtualBox shared folders which often affects software compilation: creation of soft or hard links from within the virtual machine will fail. I mention this only because it is common practice to store important files (such as the source code to the program you are working on) in a shared folder outside of the virtual machine. If the permissions problem I mentioned earlier has not already made this approach infeasible, this limitation might. I'm not sure if it is common practice for programs written in Java to create soft links during compilation, but large native programs do this often. So while this limitation may not affect you, be aware.