Comparing next-gen games: screenshots from the Xbox One, PS4, and more

just saw some dead rising shots. just compared the game running on my tv to it. mine is absolutely perfect. whoever did the captures must be using the wrong color gamut settings. even the HUD in some of those pics has the same effect(huds run on a different plane,at 1080p),suggesting it has nothing to do with upscaling. I have dr3,ryse, and killer instinct. they all looks perfect,no crushed blacks or sharpening or anything.  

edit: so some guy in one of those links you gave,posted a shot from his capture card.does that look like a sharpening filter,or having crushed blacks?

iBvTlainbWvsP.png

just saw some dead rising shots. just compared the game running on my tv to it. mine is absolutely perfect. whoever did the captures must be using the wrong color gamut settings. even the HUD in some of those pics has the same effect(huds run on a different plane,at 1080p),suggesting it has nothing to do with upscaling. I have dr3,ryse, and killer instinct. they all looks perfect,no crushed blacks or sharpening or anything.  

edit: so some guy in one of those links you gave,posted a shot from his capture card.does that look like a sharpening filter,or having crushed blacks?

iBvTlainbWvsP.png

More proof here - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726091

So these pictures were captured from 1080p source at 24 bits per pixel at TV (RGB Limited).

this is the problem. the RGB settings on his console probably doesn't match up with the tv. the effect disappears when he goes back to the dash. the image in the dash is still being scaled.  im telling you, I just tried it right now. setting the wrong setting will give the crushed blacks and gives the sharp effect. I even tried it on my 360 and the same effect happens. either people are not setting the correct color gamut that matches up with the tv/capture device, or theres a bug where its not actually setting properly for some devices. give it a try on your PS4. set the wrong color range for your tv and compare.

The only thing I got from this is that Forza 4 looks great for an Xbox 360 game.

With the PS4 vs Xbox One shots, the PS4 shots looks better to me, but there is little value in comparing launch titles.

this is the problem. the RGB settings on his console probably doesn't match up with the tv. the effect disappears when he goes back to the dash. the image in the dash is still being scaled. im telling you, I just tried it right now. setting the wrong setting will give the crushed blacks and gives the sharp effect. I even tried it on my 360 and the same effect happens. either people are not setting the correct color gamut that matches up with the tv/capture device, or theres a bug where its not actually setting properly for some devices. give it a try on your PS4. set the wrong color range for your tv and compare.

90% of TVs are RGB limited. Full RGB tends to be for monitors and its the full setting which crushes blacks, not limited. Limited cannot crush blacks.

90% of TVs are RGB limited. Full RGB tends to be for monitors and its the full setting which crushes blacks, not limited. Limited cannot crush blacks.

I assumed he meant his tv is rgb limited,not his console settings.I don't know what he has the console set at. another thing I should mention, when you have a dvd/br player/cable/sat box , the output is YCbCr at limited values, so when you calibrate your display,it only applies to this mode. when you stick another device that uses RGB, then you have to calibrate for this mode too. you wonder why many games give you gamma and brightness settings the first time you run them? they assume the customer doesn't know anything about their setup. I think it comes down to two things,either people are just plugging in their capture devices without the correct settings/not calibrating their displays properly, or there is a bug that when games are scaled it is forcing a specific RGB level(full) which create black crush on limited tvs. As I don't have this problem(my tv supports full),those are the only ideas I have, but its definitely not a sharpen filter, as I just don't see it.

This is why people don't like the sharpening filter on the One

creed_iv_comparej4s2h.jpg

As we've seen in other sub-1080p games upscaled by the Xbox One hardware, overall image quality is further impacted by the introduction of an unwanted sharpening filter, directly responsible for the grainy pop that surrounds the texture work and foliage throughout the game and the visibly hard edges on foliage and complex scenery.

Taken from - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

It's kind of the same as bumping up the sharpening setting on your TV too high.

I thought it was well established that the graphics are better on the PS4?  I don't see how anyone can argue against that - it's crystal clear in the photos (no pun intended).  

Now, you can however argue about what it means and how it factors into overall value but the graphics definitely favour PS4.

Yeah, some of the games look a lot better on the 360 than the One. I don't think you need to sharpen an image like that when you're going to play the game on a TV pretty far away from you.

It sounds like ubisoft could fix with a update if they cared enough to do so.

It's not ubisoft, its the upscaler on the Xbox one.

It's not ubisoft, its the upscaler on the Xbox one.

A few things, first ubisoft can update the game like it did on the PS4 and make it native 1080p vs the 900p it's at now, second if they don't want to do a res bump they can patch out the sharpen filter. It's a post processing option and as posted in one of the links of yours. "Recently Digital Foundry did another look at the Battlefield XB1 version, and the sharpening filter applied to the older build was removed. So this is something devs can easily toggle/remove if they choose to."

While the upscaler does what it does why are you assuming it can't be tweaked by developers?

A few things, first ubisoft can update the game like it did on the PS4 and make it native 1080p vs the 900p it's at now, second if they don't want to do a res bump they can patch out the sharpen filter. It's a post processing option and as posted in one of the links of yours. "Recently Digital Foundry did another look at the Battlefield XB1 version, and the sharpening filter applied to the older build was removed. So this is something devs can easily toggle/remove if they choose to."

While the upscaler does what it does why are you assuming it can't be tweaked by developers?

Sony had to pay them to do the update, Microsoft havent so Ubisoft don't have any incentive.

The One hasn't been great on the 1080p record, that's probably off the table. There are frame rate dips at 900p. I didn't know BF4 was patched before now, usually when an upscaler is at fault its the console OS that needs patched, not the game.

Damn, the PS4 and PC shots are so close it's barely negligible

Looks like PC version has a stronger application of FXAA resulting in more blurring of fine detail, either that or an additional depth blur shader.

Looks like PC version has a stronger application of FXAA resulting in more blurring of fine detail, either that or an additional depth blur shader.

I would have gotten it on PC except Ubisofts UPlay platform is an abomination unto software.

I would have gotten it on PC except Ubisofts UPlay platform is an abomination unto software.

I'm kinda enjoying uplay more than origin. chat and design wise its not that bad, but nothing compared to steam.

Performance updates shouldn't be off the table but it might not be in the works or of interest for ubisoft to do. There are games that run at 1080p on the XB1, I'm sure if they really wanted to work on getting AC4 to perform better then they could, they might be working on updates for all we know. We'll just have to wait and see if they do so or not. Saying it's not possible though, I don't agree.

Performance updates shouldn't be off the table but it might not be in the works or of interest for ubisoft to do. There are games that run at 1080p on the XB1, I'm sure if they really wanted to work on getting AC4 to perform better then they could, they might be working on updates for all we know. We'll just have to wait and see if they do so or not. Saying it's not possible though, I don't agree.

There are games on the 360 and PS3 that ran in 1080. Considering Assassins Creed is one of those "We'll make it a bit sharper and release it on next-gen" games that typically surface during the crossover between generations, I have no doubt the X1 could do 1080/60 on Assassins Creed. I ran it side by side by my friends PS3 and the only real difference was sharpness. 

Call of Duty Ghosts is another one of those games, make it a little sharper and release it, little bit of polish etc. It beggars belief how the filesize is so huge.