Woman wins record breaking Prize on The Price Is Right

You know you could sell that car for under market value and, even after paying taxes and fees, still come out with 6 figures (or close to it), right?

The only problem is that you have to pay that before you can "OWN" it to sell it.

Though I was told once that game shows usually have a prize clause where they can sell the prize back for about 1/2 the value. That way the show can re-prize the car at a later date. 

wow us car taxes suck. Here you just pay a cpl hundred a year to tax a car. 

Prizes are considered income instead of gifts. It's "your" messed up tax code.

AFAIK in the EU the prizes are tax-free as well and you can also chose to get the item value in money instead (and there are shows that actually play on this, offering some ridiculous 'white elephant' gifts, much funnier). I don't know if the show actually pays for the taxes (VAT, etc) though.

AFAIK in the EU the prizes are tax-free as well and you can also chose to get the item value in money instead (and there are shows that actually play on this, offering some ridiculous 'white elephant' gifts, much funnier). I don't know if the show actually pays for the taxes (VAT, etc) though.

The show pays taxes on the prizes when it buys them. The winner pays no taxes because the item was a gift.

Hello,

This thread smells funny. I think I smelled it once on a perfume. It was called "Envy". Don't know who made it though, sorry.