Post your lifehacks

If your bottle of gorilla glue is really cold and doesn't want to come out, microwaving it for 20 seconds does wonders to get it flowing again.

Had to do this one last night, :P

Bunch of good ones on there! I need to start being more creative with my junk and re-use it.

Wooden pallets are amazing.  We used to get deliveries on them all the time and I'd take them home, and grocery stores pile them up and pay people to haul them off.  If you can get hold of them you can use them for all sorts of stuff.  I used a couple to build a big basket to keep all of our pop cans in, and used another one in conjunction with a couple sheets of plywood to build a trash bin to set out by the road.  An old worn out tire cut into strips served as the hinges.

You'd be surprised how useful some things can be if you just think about it.

If your bottle of gorilla glue is really cold and doesn't want to come out, microwaving it for 20 seconds does wonders to get it flowing again.

Had to do this one last night, :p

Come on, you should know 100mph tape is better.

Wooden pallets are amazing.  We used to get deliveries on them all the time and I'd take them home, and grocery stores pile them up and pay people to haul them off.  If you can get hold of them you can use them for all sorts of stuff.  I used a couple to build a big basket to keep all of our pop cans in, and used another one in conjunction with a couple sheets of plywood to build a trash bin to set out by the road.  An old worn out tire cut into strips served as the hinges.

You can use pallets as spices shelves or wine racks... there are many uses for pallets whatever you think of.

Use newspaper with window cleaner instead of clothes for a streak free finish

To add to that, using vinegar with newspaper removes hard water spots.

I helped a mate build an entire band rehearsal space out of nothing but pallets. Many moons ago though.

• 2 weeks later...

When traveling by air, with your husband/wife or kids. Mix the contents of your luggage between all your cases. I the event of one of the cases going missing at least you?ll have something to change into until the missing case appears.

Take a picture, using your camera phone, of your cases, including any unusual features, and beside something to give it scale. If the case does missing you can simply show this to the lost property guys to help them locate it.

Also using the camera on the phone, take a backup of all important documents, passports, insurance cert, etc. Try and store these pictures in the cloud, as the phone could go missing at the same time. If these go missing this will speed up the process of locating or replacing them.

• Like 3

Technically these are pictures and belong in another thread, but I'm too lazy to copy out the text

And I can confirm most of these work, (as many others can probably confirm too)

post-354816-0-53226600-1389779464.jpg

post-354816-0-53740500-1389779481.jpg

post-354816-0-65213500-1389779494.jpg

post-354816-0-89506000-1389779507.jpg

post-354816-0-46591200-1389779518.jpg

post-354816-0-70031300-1389779532.jpg

(I've never tried the soda pop trick or the rubber band on the paint can)

• Like 3

Technically these are pictures and belong in another thread, but I'm too lazy to copy out the text

And I can confirm most of these work, (as many others can probably confirm too)

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyigiVdpj1qhkzpz.jpg

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyigogm891qhkzpz.jpg

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyigyq7B51qhkzpz.jpg

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyihiiK0p1qhkzpz.jpg

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyiiieNxk1qhkzpz.jpg

attachicon.giftumblr_mbyiliac2f1qhkzpz.jpg

(I've never tried the soda pop trick or the rubber band on the paint can)

They were on a link on one of the first posts.

WHAT you get PAID to take away pallets in the US? You can't touch them in the UK, they're sent back.

WHAT you get PAID to take away pallets in the US? You can't touch them in the UK, they're sent back.

In US, we have wooden and plastic pallets...

If pallets are in good shape, we can send them back to warehouse to reuse. Otherwise, we throw them away if they are torn or unstable.

I don't have one to give but I have an issue which may have an odd solution..

I've got a blue ink stain on plastic which is coated with soft rubber.

So far I've tried:

Rubbing it against paper.

Soaking in hot water.

Nail polish remover.

None of them have really been effective. I've gotten tiny tiny TINY amounts off but it would take a century to remove it all completely.

The object is a phone case.. so it's small enough to be submerged in any kind of solution.. but I want the right one!! Anyone got any suggestions? :p

Use plastic bread clips to label a power strip, saving yourself time having to trace the cable, as I have done:

post-420821-0-18756100-1390068739.jpg

So far I've tried:

Soaking in hot water.

Nail polish remover.

None of them have really been effective. I've gotten tiny tiny TINY amounts off but it would take a century to remove it all completely.

The object is a phone case.. so it's small enough to be submerged in any kind of solution.. but I want the right one!! Anyone got any suggestions? :p

I guess you need a less polar organic solvent like xylene or hexanes (though I'd try alcohols like isopropanol first), but these come with a likelihood of marring the plastic/rubber. A lot of pigments can be sensitive to bleach. The other alternatives are to dunk the entire thing in ink and make it uniformly blue, or leave as is and declare that the stain adds character.

Here's a list of solvents by polarity that you might consider, though nail polish remover is usually something like acetone, so you would perhaps not want to try methanol.

http://macro.lsu.edu/howto/solvents/Polarity%20index.htm

You might try a small drop of petrol on a q-tip but try it in an unnoticable place first to ensure it doesnt smear the stain or mark the rubber.What did the stain originate from?

buuz.png

Tech lifehack: I use as many portable apps as possible and put them in my Dropbox. This way, I have the same settings on all my devices for all my portable apps.

• Like 5

Do you put your bitcoin wallet in there too :D

As for machine washing the use of hard rubber balls during a wash is supposed to make it software.

So far I've tried:

Soaking in hot water.

Nail polish remover.

Soak it in lighter fluid.

Also: Use lighter fluid to easily remove oil stains from your driveway.

Pour a can of Coca-cola in your washer to remove stains on your clothes. ;)