Western Digital Green Drives Clicking

I am still waiting to see this proof that Green drives are re-branded red and black drives....

If on the odd chance this is true, I would have thought some tech website would have picked it up by now and shamed WD.  It's like taking the label off a bottle of Coca Cola and slapping it on a bottle of Pepsi -  doesn't happen.

HOWEVER:

There was a thread about how to cure this ages ago but the search doesn't seem to go back that far as searching "wdidle" only brings up two topics - I know there's another one with instructions on how to use the utility as I wrote it :/

Run the utility (by booting to dos) and it'll change all the WD green drives to however many seconds you want.  I turned the feature off all together as I read parking the heads will wear the drive out faster.  I've had all 6 of mine running fine for the last 6+ years...

"If it doesnt work, it doesnt work" doesnt really apply when it comes to a lot PC hardware manufacturing.  There are varying levels of what a company might consider "working" for a given product.

a "bad" drive can mean many things.   I will find the interview online and post it.  You can decide for yourself.  Again, this was a few years ago - the one thing that has remained is that green drives are cheaper for a reason.

Shortest warranty, and shortest MTBF - now why is that ? 

The idea that WD is taking faulty drives and labeling them as greens is just incredibly unlikely and makes no sense. Aside from the bad PR they would get it would cost more to relabel, change the firmware, etc than it would be worth (not to mention greens have only 1 platter while blacks have 2 I believe). I'd be willing to read your article if you find it but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. Besides as has been pointed out this issue is because of Intellipark, nothing more.

It's kind of childish to accuse others of being "Green owners" just because they don't agree with your statements. All of my drives are WD but none are greens.

Going back to my original issue, after running the WDIDLE3 utility i've not heard a single clicking sound from either of the drives. So that appears to have been the cause of the continuous (and annoying) clicking.

Thanks to all who contributed in this topic.

ou1agw.jpg

I am still waiting to see this proof that Green drives are re-branded red and black drives....

If on the odd chance this is true, I would have thought some tech website would have picked it up by now and shamed WD.  It's like taking the label off a bottle of Coca Cola and slapping it on a bottle of Pepsi -  doesn't happen.

HOWEVER:

There was a thread about how to cure this ages ago but the search doesn't seem to go back that far as searching "wdidle" only brings up two topics - I know there's another one with instructions on how to use the utility as I wrote it :/

Run the utility (by booting to dos) and it'll change all the WD green drives to however many seconds you want.  I turned the feature off all together as I read parking the heads will wear the drive out faster.  I've had all 6 of mine running fine for the last 6+ years...

Green drives are, to my understanding, drives that weren't qualified to be higher tier drives. I can't find the source article I read a few years back with the CEO of Western Digital and/or Seagate talking about there process a little bit. Though this isn't surprising or is it really a problem. All businesses find ways to ensure they sell as much product at various price points as they can.

That being said, T3X4S is being hyperbolic and useless. The Green drive may not have met WD quality standards to become a WD Blue or WD Black, but that doesn't inherently make it a "bad" drive. It is a drive slotted to do a different task and exist under different conditions. It passes the quality markers to fit its intended slot in the marketplace. Both price and energy consumption wise...

Since T3X4S seems overly concerned about getting the "cream of the crop" of a HDD manufacturer's manufacturing line then I'm sure he doesn't run any consumer level storage products, right? Your spinning drives are 15K RPM SAS drives right? As the drives that don't qualify for the stricter SAS requirements get pushed down to the Black line...