Three episodes? :/

Publishers gonna EA. Sounds like one big bit of DLC cut down to sell as three parts and give us another lovely "season pass".

How things change...

?For Dark Souls 2, we don?t even expect any additional downloadable content because we want to deliver a full game, the full experience, to fans who purchase the package from day one. We did do additional content for Dark Souls, but generally downloadable content for Dark Souls II is not really being considered. Buy the package and you?ll get the full experience, and you?ll have as much fun as anybody else. Spending a couple dollars on certain items does not help the experience. So no free-to-play yet!?

Three episodes? :/

Publishers gonna EA. Sounds like one big bit of DLC cut down to sell as three parts and give us another lovely "season pass".

How things change...

It's all about giving the players choice! /s

• Like 1

DLC announced:

"The whole pack is called "The Lost Crowns" trilogy. You can buy each episode for $10, or all three for $25. Episodes will be out on July 22, August 26, and September 24."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_24S4j-jWU

On the face of it sounds good...more of a great game. But didn't we hear that there won't be any DLC? OK obvious lame joke time - Dark Souls 3 will have Soul Packs, only $19.99 for 20,000 souls!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man this weekend...took on like five or six bosses, can't even remember. It was great. Thought i was almost done having gotten over two certain royal guardians and having met a certain monarch...but turns out there's still a good ten hours of game ahead :|

This game...as soon as you think you're done the bosses just pull you back in!

• Like 1

Keep it going! You're almost done!

<bowing gesture>

Thanks bro, seems like it...will feel strange and wonderful to finally complete a Souls game, and i will miss the time spent with it

In short, gorgeous view and then quite something :D

Yes, made it to a certain large flying dude who spoke in a certain language i couldn't understand in order to receive a necessary item....so i guess this is the final stretch. Definitely GOTY, can't think of anything to dethrone this marvel.

It is done, praise the sun! Thank you to the summons that helped me with the last you-know-who boss! About 70 hours, Steam clock says 73 but that's counting pauses to make dinner and stuff :)

Finished a Souls game and got to the credits...wow. Who'd have thought! What an awesome experience, a certain feline friend made me weepy with her parting words :cry:

And a big thanks to everyone here that helped and provided advice - the mace was my weapon of choice throughout :laugh:

post-121333-0-12152600-1403617303.jpg

Praise the Sun!

The mace was a pretty good weapon, and you can get it early in the game too. I preferred longswords myself, but it's all good. The weapons were much better in this game than in the previous souls games. Except for the katanas. I won't forgive FROM for nerfing them into uselessness.

My game timer was in the triple digits when I was done, but that's because my brother and I coop'ed a lot, and we played through to NG++ for the achievements.

• Like 1

Praise the Sun!

The mace was a pretty good weapon, and you can get it early in the game too. I preferred longswords myself, but it's all good. The weapons were much better in this game than in the previous souls games. Except for the katanas. I won't forgive FROM for nerfing them into uselessness.

My game timer was in the triple digits when I was done, but that's because my brother and I coop'ed a lot, and we played through to NG++ for the achievements.

It was your recommendation to get the mace from Lenigrast, and excellent advice it turned out to be! The mace proved a very good all-rounder, and by the end was +10 so it packed quite a punch.

Sounds like you and your brother are very adept at this...there's no way i'm daring NG+, let alone ++! Completing a Souls game is plenty achievement for me :D

:x

Is the game always that blurry?

No, it's generally very crisp and nice, i think that's just the image compression as this was F12'd from Steam, then saved via Windows and uploaded. Does it look blurry? Maybe i need glasses!

EDIT: if you mean the background and landscapes, like the cliffs in the distance, then yes, they always look like that. There are some surprisingly low res textures, but it's OK. Some of the background scenery looks not much better than the Mars vistas in the first Doom :rofl:

However, everything else is nice and detailed, especially your character and major opponents. And there's some very nice lighting going on.

The first jump to NG+ is rather big, but going from NG+ to subsequent +'s isn't bad at all. Even NG+ isn't that bad, if you're good at dodging/blocking, it's the same game. The enemies just do more damage and take a bit more to kill. (something made largely moot with backstabs)

What I still don't understand is they give you a free dagger at the beginning of the game, and it is literally the best dagger in the game, from a crit-rating perspective. I got it to +10 at soon as I could, and backstabs one-shot everything all the way into NG++. In fact, even in NG++ everything died in one backstab, except the giants in the flooded area before the Lost Sinner. There was never any dagger better than it; even daggers made from boss souls weren't as good. /boggle

Which one is this dagger? Never used any daggers, but guessing you're referring to one of the DLC ones we got? Wouldn't use it anyway, looks weird running around with a dagger heh heh. My fave weapon was Drangleic sword, which i got to +3 i think but rarely used over the mace. Swords are nice but there's too much flourish. That mace you recommended really made short work of most opponents with its crushing might.

It's the dagger that you find laying on the ground in the tutorial area. Through one of the grey fog doors. It has the highest critical damage multiplier. (150 I think)

Not bad for a dagger hahaha! Thanks, but won't be doing NG+, i can't take it! Will retry Dark Souls 1, though, i feel so empowered all of a sudden :rofl:

Do it! (Y)

Haha was trying to but the damned Steam sale has killed the servers...i've already uninstalled DS1 ages ago, now can't re-download it. Tried a bunch of different server regions, no go. Keep doing the loop thing - download a little, then pause. Guess have to wait for things to calm down.

Maybe start the install then just let it go over night? You're bound to hit off-peak time in there somewhere

Maybe start the install then just let it go over night? You're bound to hit off-peak time in there somewhere

That doesn't seem to work, it just sits there. Didn't try overnight, but might give it a go towards the weekend. Thanks for the advice!

Whenever you do get it, make sure to install the Durante mod. It makes the game run and look sooo much better.

Was just about to look into that, as your advice worked. Just left Steam open while making dinner and when i came back DS1 was fully installed :rofl:

Started a new game, and man that 1024 x 720 resolution is painful :x

But doesn't DSFix actually cause problems?

It is kinda cool going back to DS1 after DS2 hahaha, makes you realize how much better and more accomplished DS2 is. Especially the story and setup. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls still had quite heavy handed and somewhat cliched stories, even if the message about life was still there. DS2 is so much more elegant and to the point. It is awesome to realize that most of the voice actors are the same people, that shows From has a really good and personal working relationship with them :yes:

DS1 also had a much longer lock-on range, forgot that. It does make it easier in a way!

Looking forward to completing it, will not give up this time!

Started a new game, and man that 1024 x 720 resolution is painful :x

But doesn't DSFix actually cause problems?

It may if you don't set the parameters correctly. Just read the README carefully.

• Like 1

It may if you don't set the parameters correctly. Just read the README carefully.

Thanks, remember reading that changing the framerate lock will cause it to run in a tiny window or something? Will make sure to look at the readme carefully, as you say

Thanks, remember reading that changing the framerate lock will cause it to run in a tiny window or something? Will make sure to look at the readme carefully, as you say

I had some trouble getting the game to start when trying to enable the mod, but after some tweaking it ran fine. I was able to play through the entire game without an issue after the first hiccup.

The engine is not designed to run above 30 fps so some glitches happen at high framerates (your character may fall through a floor, etc). I've not seen any at 60fps but going above that is not recommended. I'm not aware of any windowing issues.

• Like 1

The engine is not designed to run above 30 fps so some glitches happen at high framerates (your character may fall through a floor, etc). I've not seen any at 60fps but going above that is not recommended. I'm not aware of any windowing issues.

I had some trouble getting the game to start when trying to enable the mod, but after some tweaking it ran fine. I was able to play through the entire game without an issue after the first hiccup.

Appreciate the advice guys, applied DSFix, didn't change the framerate, just the settings Durante has recommended in the 2.2 build. Game looks better and runs great. Praise the higher resolution!

post-121333-0-93385000-1403892239.jpg

• Like 2