RUMOR: Disney releasing unaltered Star Wars Blu-ray, throwing out prequel trilogy

oh god what age are you

how old am I ahhhhhhhhh :p

Heh, I'm not sure how you get the idea from what I said that I'm young. We could have been having a discussion about Star Wars last week and it could have come up. Well, we couldn't have as he is dead and that would have been weird, but you know what I mean. :laugh:

And for the record I'm only a few years younger than you. ;)

Heh, I'm not sure how you get the idea from what I said that I'm young. We could have been having a discussion about Star Wars last week and it could have come up. Well, we couldn't have as he is dead and that would have been weird, but you know what I mean. :laugh:

And for the record I'm only a few years younger than you. ;)

maybe I just grew up with star wars then :p .. your dad was right anyways, the force was more spiritual and didn't need to be explained, I think this clip from the Plinkett reviews shows what's wrong with the prequels...

poor sad yoda ha

Also, I like this Episode II much better:

His version of Episode 2 was pretty damn good. I wish we had gotten that version rather than the real one. Such a bummer.

meh, no.  I don't approve of this money grab.  Whether you liked the prequels or not, they were decent.  Not as good as the originals, but they told the story that Lucas wanted.  I have no problem with the corrections he mad to the original trilogy in 1997.  I haven't watched the 2004 version yet, but the only thing I do have a problem with is him adding in Christen Hayden? to the end scene of ROTJ.  His reason was just stupid IMO.

I think they should just leave the prequels alone and move on.  I know it's hard but move on.  If they do release an unaltered version of the original trilogy based on their original theatrical releases then they should do that.  Again Lucas was just being stubborn and an ass when he said they couldn't do it.  All most fans really wanted was the original movie that they saw and grew up with, cleaned up into HD goodness and that's it.  No extra story elements or whatever.

Oh yeah, I've wanted to say it since they dropped the expanded universe.  Boba Fett is DEAD!!!

What about the jabba scene in ANH?  Jabba looks more like a CGI slug and the whole scene serves no purpose other than to kill any anticipation leading up to RoTJ where we should be meeting Jaba for the first time. 

Speaking of RoTJ.. what about that nice little number from the band they added it... 

Anyway.. I am convinced that this rumor will stay a rumor.  I feel like there was some secret footnote in the contract from Lucas to Disney that pretty much killed any chance of this happening.  I havent watched them yet, but a fan edit called Star Wars revisited is the best any of us are going to get to a HD version of the original un-edited trilogy.

I think my dad explained this one to me. The biggest problem that people had with the midichlorian idea was that it meant that you had to be born in to the force. With the original trilogy the lack of explanation meant that anyone could become a Jedi (or Sith.) Now obviously it's not a real religion, but still people were annoyed at the idea that, in another galaxy far, far away, they would still never get to become a Jedi. It seemed a good enough reason for me to dislike the idea of midichlorians.

The lore has always been at you where born a Jedi, never has "anyone" been able to become a Jedi. The original trilogy even the first movie makes this quite clear without spelling it right put.

The lore has always been at you where born a Jedi, never has "anyone" been able to become a Jedi. The original trilogy even the first movie makes this quite clear without spelling it right put.

I think this is what original fans hold onto.

http://youtu.be/RroB_8Lhogs

The idea was that there were people that were more force sensitive than others. Those people would have a leg up on attaining Jedi powers. Much like no one is born a concert pianist, but there are some people that can attain that easier than others.

I think when they were doing the special editions they restored the original negatives in such a way that the only "originals" they had left were the ones with the special edition on them.  From what Lucas says there is no more source material that has the original trilogy on them.  He could be lying but I think he would've taken the moneygrab and released it if he had it.

I believe the tapes are out there, all over the place. Releasing them would mean how wrong he is, It won't happen. I've seen fans edit the original out in HD to original form so no doubt disney could.

Google "Star Wars Harmy" and be prepared to be amazed.

I believe the tapes are out there, all over the place. Releasing them would mean how wrong he is, It won't happen. I've seen fans edit the original out in HD to original form so no doubt disney could.

Google "Star Wars Harmy" and be prepared to be amazed.

You can't get HD fom VHS tapes. And you can't master a bluray release from cinema rolls, besides that cinema rolls age.

You need the original masters and they don't exist, they are the special editions.

You can't get HD fom VHS tapes. And you can't master a bluray release from cinema rolls, besides that cinema rolls age.

You need the original masters and they don't exist, they are the special editions.

There are still some private copies of the original theatrical version in the hands of private collectors. But that is all moot since FOX owns the home video rights for the original trilogy, one of them in perpetuity. This just isn't going to happen.

But they do...http://savestarwars.com/technicoloribscreening.html ;)  Granted.. Disney would have to approach private owners. But if they did I'm sure the owners would be willing. We can hope.. 

There are still some private copies of the original theatrical version in the hands of private collectors. But that is all moot since FOX owns the home video rights for the original trilogy, one of them in perpetuity. This just isn't going to happen.

Those are developed cinema rolls though, not the actual master, there's only one of those.  and that's the only one you can really get a new copy from anyway. 

a little bit away from the rest of the topic however, even if it was true if it was unaltered (eg not re-mastered) then what would be the point of a bluray release?

a little bit away from the rest of the topic however, even if it was true if it was unaltered (eg not re-mastered) then what would be the point of a bluray release?

I think they mean unaltered by HAN SHOT FIRST! Cleaning everything up (within reason) on a 4K or even 8K scan of the original would be something special to behold.

In terms of the prequel trilogy I would say that only things Lucas got right were Darth Maul (who was killed off before he could be a true menace), Princess Amidala and destroyer droids. The rest was a trainwreck - the imperial senate, the blockade, the clone troopers, the droid troopers, the pod racing, midichlorians, younglings, gymnastic Yoda, etc. Lucas might have created Star Wars but he also ruined it.

IMO the the downfall of the PT is in the acting and writing. Every character is just wooden and stale, mostly due to Lucas's inability to write character dialog. Even Ewan McGregor, whose performance as Obi Wan is one of the few high points of the trilogy, is hamstrung by having most of his scenes being dry dialog where he's walking along talking to someone else.

The part where the writing really ruins it is in the relationships which are supposed to be the focal point of the trilogy: Anakin and Padme's romance, and Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship. Neither one of these plays out on the screen at all. Anakin and Padme's relationship is so forced and awkward that its almost uncomfortable to watch. At no point was I ever convinced that Padme even liked Anakin, let alone love him. Anakin always came across as a creepy stalker type who wouldn't take the hint and just kept pushing. Essentially the two of them were in love "because the script said so" and nothing else.

Ditto with Anakin's friendship with Obi Wan. It was another thing we were supposed to accept "just because." The friendship between the two never developed on screen. When we first see the two of them in AotC Anakin is already a rebellious, disobedient brat who argues with Obi Wan about everything. Allusions are made to events that the two of them went through that might have formed bonds, but nothing was ever actually shown - certainly nothing that comes close to indicating their friendship is anything like the way Obi Wan reminisces about in A New Hope.

• Like 3