PC sometimes fails to boot! - Help

In your case it sounds like a bad USB device that needs to time out before boot can proceed. Besides unplugging every internal and external USB thing, you could check BIOS and where you usually set the device boot order, set everything to off except the one boot device.

OK, the BIOS idea is practical - probably just the DVD to turn off...

The rest not so easy if it only happens once in a while - might be something like a SD card reader that misses the reset signal every so often and goes into wonko mode

Perhaps I'll try this, but like you said since its so random it'll be really hard to pinpoint what the culprit is. But yeah u are right about the boot order since that's the easiest to do.

I agree with @DevTech on this one.  I had this issue when I occidentally broke one of my USB ports by knocking it while it had a USB drive in it. Are all your USB ports healthy?  If not disconnect any external USB ports on the case from the motherboard.

Also an update relating to my issue I have just bought this RAM to see if it fixes my issue http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C15FBK4_32.pdf. Its listed by Asus as compatible and is recommended by Kingston compatibility checker.  It comes tomorrow so I shall update you sir!

I also got a response from Asus support this is what they said: 

"Please try to disable Fastboot from the BIOS and also disable Fast Start from Windows 10.
You can also try to go to BIOS - Advanced - APM Configuration and change ErP Ready to Enabled S4+S5 or Enabled S5.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us"

(What exactly do these settings change?)

Since review sites use boot speed as a major performance criteria (couldn't get more stupid IMO) Microsoft and others are always on the lookout for some trick to improve boot speed. In WIndows 10, when you power off the computer, it creates a hybernate file so that when you power up and boot it does something similar to coming out of hybernation.

(If you want to make sure you get a full boot, do a "restart")

So ASUS is thinking you might have a corrupt "boot-hyber file" (I need to get the correct name for that sometime)

The last setting has something do do with how deep the CPU goes into sleep mode and how to wake it.

Since review sites use boot speed as a major performance criteria (couldn't get more stupid IMO) Microsoft and others are always on the lookout for some trick to improve boot speed. In WIndows 10, when you power off the computer, it creates a hybernate file so that when you power up and boot it does something similar to coming out of hybernation.

(If you want to make sure you get a full boot, do a "restart")

So ASUS is thinking you might have a corrupt "boot-hyber file" (I need to get the correct name for that sometime)

The last setting has something do do with how deep the CPU goes into sleep mode and how to wake it.

I see, thank you. I couldn't agree more about the boot speeds lol... i tried all of that stuff they suggested nothing changed. Accept when I went to S4-S5 mode when I power of it seems to discharge the MB so I dont need to turn off the power supply any more to get my fix.  But when I restart it still happens.

Thanks for all your support and help in this issue, I have been busy with work and have had not had the time to test things, I will give you all an update once I get the chance.

Many thanks

Tusk

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue, I believe this is all bios related. I noticed he said he had intel ssd 400 GB, Is this drive the Intel 750 NVMe pcie 400 GB "not M.2 ?

If I enable XMP, my intel drive disappears, this is a MSI Z170A xpower Gaming Titanium Edition, I have had to flash the bios 3x, all because I have tried to enable XMP.

This is very frustrating when I spent the money on 3200mhz ram, only to have it run at around 2300. Plus the motherboard was not cheap either!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 6:15 AM, Sbtuskany said:

Thanks for all your support and help in this issue, I have been busy with work and have had not had the time to test things, I will give you all an update once I get the chance.

Many thanks

Tusk

Hi Sbtuskany - any luck on solving the issue? I just stumbled across your thread as I am having an identical intermittent issue with my PC. My system specs are also similar (i7 4th gen, 32gb memory, GTX770). 

For a while there I though my problem was my USB keyboard and mouse - I changed the slots they were in and the problem went away completely even with around 10 or so tests.  However it's back now even where USB items are completely unplugged. The only way I seem to be able to solve it is by carrying out the exact same random steps as you (unplugging  & reconnecting power).  

The problem only seems to appear on a "cold" start - where the PC has been left off (but connected to power) for a while. 

Tonight I will be testing the system with a smaller amount of memory (8gb) to see if that helps.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

***UPDATE***

I may have found the problem - my DisplayPort cable from my monitor is feeding power to my computer.

When pulling apart my computer, I noticed that my wifi adapter light was on, even though I had unplugged my computer from power (and left it like that all day - so it couldn't be capacitors). A test with the multimeter found that it was my monitor feeding power to the motherboard. 

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that power feeding back to the motherboard may affect a few things, including RAM voltages and frequencies. Perhaps that is why we were having problems very similar to corrupted RAM.

The power feeding issue is apparently a known issue when connecting DisplayPort monitors with a 20-pin cable (which is basically 99.999999% of displayport cables out there). The 20th pin feeds power back into your motherboard (even though it's not supposed to according to compliance standards).

I've put my computer back to DVI link and have had no issues so far. I have ordered a 19-pin cable which I found in the UK (search Amazon if you need one).

I will keep monitoring this over the next few days, and will also replace a new DP cable. I'll report back the results over the next couple of weeks.