I got accepted into College!

After a long time of taking care of others, a stint in the Military, starting a family, a divorce, being a step-parent, health scares, setbacks, and life's tribulations ... I feel like I'm finally, completely, totally on track.

Another example to my mind that I'm "where I should be, right now" is ...

I'll be studying Clinical Psychology and Sociology, both 4-year degrees. I've said previously that I wanted to work for SpaceX; so how in the blazes could a Psychology/Sociology Major possibly work for SpaceX?

They have need of people who are multi-discipline College-educated. I want to be doing studies into how a Lunar or Martian Colony could potentially function; and in order to study all of its' facets, one needs Psychology and Sociology degrees.

Ahh? :yes: See how that works?

And I'm motivated to get this done -- I talked it over with the Enrollment Liaison, and if I apply myself with the same amount of zeal that I showed in my Enrollment Essay I can get my 4-year degrees finished in 2 and a half years. So yes, I'm motivated.

Ahhh ... come on, College. I'm ready for ya. BRING IT! :D 

(And for those of you from my Generation, the 35-50 year-olds who thought you couldn't start again? DO IT. TRUST ME -- YOU CAN.)

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty jazzed about it. Chomping at the bit and ready to go. :yes: Not like High School where I was like "oooohhh GOD not this again". Nope -- I'm genuinely excited and motivated to give it 115%; and if it requires 125% then I'll do it with pure grit and determination. I'm ready for this. I've BEEN ready for this. :) 

I always regretted not pursuing Higher Education. Now I have that opportunity, and I'll be shagged if I'm gonna waste it.

2016 is the year I wanted to get my ducks in a row -- first with restarting HRT, and now with the happy fortune of getting into College. It literally came together in the span of a week. A friend of mine said he was going to get into College, and almost dared me to sign up saying I'd never do it. I thought about it for 24 hours and told him that I always wanted to, but he knew as well as anyone that life in general was always in the way. He gave my phone number to the Student Affairs Liaison, she called me, and two days later I'm accepted and enrolled with Financial Aid approved, with my Dual Major all set up. Everything gets finalized Friday.

Orientation is Monday. :) 

/happydance

• Like 3

Good luck and all the best for you. A genuine motivation makes all the hard work seem tolerable and reasonable fun even. It is all about how you frame it. You got it together it seems.

HIGH FIVE

• Like 3

No, USA. Fees are manageable. I've got plenty of Student Aid, and my family has promised their complete and unequivocal support. They're thrilled beyond words with this development.

And thank you for the very kind assumption! I admire and respect the fine people of the United Kingdom, and would be proud to be counted among their number. :yes: 

Ohh, man, as motivated as you are, you can own it so fast, you have spare time left.  and do not forget you are in college environment.

if i can bring my experience to my first degree, i will be the matter bucking KING.  seriously.  i did not rule collage because i was one of the new scared freshmen folk

if i get a chance to go back, i will literally be king, because later 10-15 years of life experience teaches you way more about people in general, handling newbie college kids is a piece of cake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

After a long time of taking care of others, a stint in the Military, starting a family, a divorce, being a step-parent, health scares, setbacks, and life's tribulations ... I feel like I'm finally, completely, totally on track.

Another example to my mind that I'm "where I should be, right now" is ...

I'll be studying Clinical Psychology and Sociology, both 4-year degrees. I've said previously that I wanted to work for SpaceX; so how in the blazes could a Psychology/Sociology Major possibly work for SpaceX?

They have need of people who are multi-discipline College-educated. I want to be doing studies into how a Lunar or Martian Colony could potentially function; and in order to study all of its' facets, one needs Psychology and Sociology degrees.

Ahh? :yes: See how that works?

And I'm motivated to get this done -- I talked it over with the Enrollment Liaison, and if I apply myself with the same amount of zeal that I showed in my Enrollment Essay I can get my 4-year degrees finished in 2 and a half years. So yes, I'm motivated.

Ahhh ... come on, College. I'm ready for ya. BRING IT! :D 

(And for those of you from my Generation, the 35-50 year-olds who thought you couldn't start again? DO IT. TRUST ME -- YOU CAN.)

Congratulations, man!!!! That's outstanding news!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks all. It's Online, I don't have to go anywhere but to my computer. Cheaper too.

The way the GI Bill worked when I was Enlisted back in the early 90's was they pay you directly for it every month and you were expected (or at least encouraged) to save it yourself. It really wasn't what it should have been, tbh. That was before Clinton took office. I don't know how things changed afterwards, I didn't re-up when my Service was finished.

If it's all online, then you are spared the nightmare that is social loafing. Even though you learn to adapt and deal with it in University. One thing I learned about online assignments is that the average person puts in little to no effort and can get an 85-90%. I'm not saying don't work hard, but know that your classmates often might not, so let your own hard-work propel you forward.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shiranui said:

Which University?

New England College in Concord, NH. Been around a for while, they've partnered with Villanova, Michigan State University, Norte Dame, a few others around the country to do a "University Alliance Group". Some of the courses I'm going to be taking will be from MSU, others will be from Villanova, etc. I'm very pleased to be a part of it and can't wait to get going. I had the opportunity to do my Orientation today, so I took advantage of it.

17 hours ago, Piggy said:

If it's all online, then you are spared the nightmare that is social loafing. Even though you learn to adapt and deal with it in University. One thing I learned about online assignments is that the average person puts in little to no effort and can get an 85-90%. I'm not saying don't work hard, but know that your classmates often might not, so let your own hard-work propel you forward.

Agreed, it's not going to be like High School where I was more worried about the after school than the school. I'm taking this very seriously. I wanted the opportunity, these past twenty-five years, all the time I was raising kids and then after the divorce, then fumbling around making ends meet after my Computer Business failed, then working for other people as a Network Admin .. then taking care of other people while being a step-parent and being worried about money again .. I always, always wished I had gone to College and done something with my intellect more interesting than .. well, "my life as it has been". I'm sure everyone who has looked back on their lives who wished they could have done things differently and never went to College or University probably wishes they had. I've got the chance, and I'm not wasting it. :yes: I intend to give it 115%. If it requires 125%, I'll do it with a smile on my face, because I'm just happy to be in the position to be challenged like that. In other words, I appreciate the opportunity and will NOT waste it. Anyone else who has the opportunity, or who is thinking about making a go of it -- I encourage you to GO FOR IT! 

And thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes. It's a huge step and I will do the very best I can -- and I'll be challenged like never before. And you know what? I'll meet those challenges head-on with a smile. 

Thanks, Barney. :) 

I spoke again with the Student Liaison at length again today to keep paperwork going. I'd been thinking about my Majors, and wondering about what I really wanted to do after finishing my degree work so I ran it past her. I switched up my course planning to my real passion, which is Computer Science/Programming. I'm good at it, and I've got a history of Development work as it is; but without that almighty credential to back it up you might as well be sitting in a Pub talking trash to the bloke next to you. I ran all of this past her, and ran off some of the previous Projects that I've been involved with in the past, and she was astounded that I would even think of pursuing something else except Comp.Sci and Programming.

Code Monkeys make more money anyway. ;) 

I've made the right move, and she's sending me the needed documents that I need to fill out and return to her to switch my Majors. This two terms worth of curriculum is going to mainly be getting me back up to speed with the basics -- since it's been so long since High School, I need some "refreshers". Some of my course work will also consist of getting me towards my Majors, a bit, I won't lose interest. ;) Gotta start somewhere, right?

All is well. First shipment of textbooks are on their way. Second shipment will leave next week. Classes still start on the 25th.

^ Yes, the Major switch sounds good. It is always a good choice to pursue your passion. Then, you can be sure that you'll be in a field where you will be satisfied as well as potentially make an impact. I have just started my PhD track in nursing education. I plan on working in Informatics (my love). I am not a researcher, but this is a necessary evil to get to where I want to be.

Good luck and great news!

• Like 1

Good luck on your objectives for the coming years and keep a cool head you`ll need it on Mars.Of course you know you`ll need to have a Neowin badge on your spacesuit! :D

• Like 1