Microsoft was right, I was wrong. No need for media, digital only would have been fine, maybe Kinect.

Just now, MikeChipshop said:

I've an average of 4! From what i understand, i'm only a short distance from you too :(

I live in a village, about 25~30 mins from Glasgow. I used to get 3mb, and then I got the "fibre" upgrade. Only fibre to the cabinet though, not like Virgins fibre into your property. It sucks.

• Like 1

I actually moved a couple of years ago from about half hour outside Glasgow to a bit further (20 mins or so) north. I went from less than 2MB to around 4MB, so that actually felt like a huge upgrade :p

the digital Scotland map shows my area as being not even thought about in terms of a fibre roll out, and even if they did, i doubt this village would get it because of the added cost of the fact we don't have green cabinets. So they'd either need to put them in (not likely) or run fibre direct to the premises (even less likely). BT recently (just after receiving a cash injection from the Gov) shelved a plan to upgrade a nearby village, so it doesn't look great for us.

4 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

I actually moved a couple of years ago from about half hour outside Glasgow to a bit further (20 mins or so) north. I went from less than 2MB to around 4MB, so that actually felt like a huge upgrade :p

the digital Scotland map shows my area as being not even thought about in terms of a fibre roll out, and even if they did, i doubt this village would get it because of the added cost of the fact we don't have green cabinets. So they'd either need to put them in (not likely) or run fibre direct to the premises (even less likely). BT recently (just after receiving a cash injection from the Gov) shelved a plan to upgrade a nearby village, so it doesn't look great for us.

Damn that sucks. The UK really should be in a much better position for superfast internet. It really sucks Sky nor BT are willing to spend much of the colossal profits they make to actually do fibre properly. While Virgin have done it in some areas, it's only ever going to be big cities/towns, and you have to pay for it (although I'd happily pay decent money for 100mb+). £30~40 really isn't that much when it's unlimited and makes life online much better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

(although I'd happily pay decent money for 100mb+).

Yup, as would i. 

The worst part is, we're already subsidising BT to upgrade, yet they're failing to do so. So not only am i paying them per month to supply an inadequate service, i'm also paying the government to pay BT to provide no sign of an upgrade.

Any way, what with this storm coming, i'm unlikely to have any electricity to run the internet any way, better batten down the hatches :D

• Like 1

Just now, MikeChipshop said:

Yup, as would i. 

The worst part is, we're already subsidising BT to upgrade, yet they're failing to do so. So not only am i paying them per month to supply an inadequate service, i'm also paying the government to pay BT to provide no sign of an upgrade.

Any way, what with this storm coming, i'm unlikely to have any electricity to run the internet any way, better batten down the hatches :D

Hurricane/Storm bawbag continually making Scottish lives a PITA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

Hurricane/Storm bawbag continually making Scottish lives a PITA.

Haha i remember storm bawbag. I remember getting up in the dark and watching distant pylons buckle and fall. Three days we had zero power. Worse, the pub was closed :o

1 minute ago, MikeChipshop said:

Haha i remember storm bawbag. I remember getting up in the dark and watching distant pylons buckle and fall. Three days we had zero power. Worse, the pub was closed :o

Damn! That is where you're suppose to go as well till it all blows over :p

shaunofthedead.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

I live in a village, about 25~30 mins from Glasgow. I used to get 3mb, and then I got the "fibre" upgrade. Only fibre to the cabinet though, not like Virgins fibre into your property. It sucks.

Virgin is also only fibre to the cabinet and coax to the property.

6 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Virgin is also only fibre to the cabinet and coax to the property.

Still it gets 200mb to your house! The best Sky/BT can do is up to 78mb, and I doubt half the people on it get the 78mb. I get 20mb on their fibre.

12 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Still it gets 200mb to your house! The best Sky/BT can do is up to 78mb, and I doubt half the people on it get the 78mb. I get 20mb on their fibre.

Yer not good, time to relocate, the first thing I do when I move is check for internet access speeds.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2016 at 10:02 PM, Audioboxer said:

Region locking is gone now? XB1 and PS4 are region free. PS3 was region free, some 360 games were region free but not all.

Not quite sure how digital would have helped you here either. If we are talking region locked 360 games then even the digital copies need to be played on the same region 360. Point being digital was region locked as well.

Late reply here, sorry, but yeah--its all my 360 stuff. I guess the frustration of all that has soured me on physical media something fierce. I didn't realise that even some digital downloads were region-coded. 

Thank goodness for the progress of the latest generation.