How to prevent Windows 10 from Automatically installing.

40 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

nothing wrong with installing the OS but locking the doors to your house so to speak.

Just so long as you know what you are accepting. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2016 at 1:06 PM, xendrome said:

Umm it doesn't "automatically install"

Hmm... Some reports are saying other wise. Plus I just got a call from a customer that literally went to bed with windows 7 and woke up with Windows 10

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

36 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Hmm... Some reports are saying other wise. Plus I just got a call from a customer that literally went to bed with windows 7 and woke up with Windows 10

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

Some reports always will. None ever provide proof of spontaneous actions like this. My wife has been nagged by 10, and to this day, is still on 7.

They are from the same people who claim they don't know what happened and did nothing when all that malware got on their machines.

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Some reports always will. They are from the same people who claim they don't know what happened and did nothing when all that malware got on their machines.

Maybe your right, I'm not sure.

I think part of the issue is when it comes up people aren't smart enough to realize that they can close the update box by hitting the X in the top right. They think they are forced into the upgrade. I made a Facebook post informing customers that they can still hit the X.

I think Microsoft knows this and are being deceptive. What they need is a button that says I don't want to upgrade.

6 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I know better than most how informed people are. But I'm starting to believe their reports.

Until I actually see from some proof, I don't believe it one bit. Especially when my extremely computer illiterate wife is still on 7. 

It shouldn't be that hard to make it reproducible if it is actually a thing.

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Until I actually see from some proof, I don't believe it one bit. Especially when my extremely computer illiterate wife is still on 7. 

It shouldn't be that hard to make it reproducible if it is actually a thing.

i'm actually surprised on my Windows 7 PC  on my intel nuc (which just runs a vnc viewer showing my security camera above my computer) the windows 10 update doesn't even show up in windows update.

If you're having a hard time deleting  $WINDOWS.~BT folder even after having changed the folder's permissions, use the disk cleanup tool -> clean up system files.

Cheers!