Uncharted 4 has gone gold, and making of Uncharted videos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sony / ND going all in with UC4 MP

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer Guide

Posted by Robert Cogburn on May 02, 2016 // Lead Game Designer

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End will hit store shelves on May 10. And while we’ve talked a lot about the single-player campaign, many multiplayer details have remained under wraps. That ends today, as we fill you in on what to expect as well as the philosophy behind some of the new directions we took with multiplayer.

Right off the bat, we want to highlight that all future maps and modes will be included with Uncharted 4 at no additional cost, and all vanity and gameplay in-game store items will be unlockable through gameplay!

This means that the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer community won’t be fragmented by different types of DLC, and that those who are loyal in participating in the community will be rewarded. Our DLC release approach will represent an entirely new direction for Naughty Dog, and we are confident it will have a hugely positive impact and keep the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer community thriving.

It was a long process to determine how all this should work. We went back and forth with how we wanted players to experience this, and we created a few core philosophies.

Continues...

4 hours to go on my HK PSN pre-order! (it ended up slightly cheaper than retail so...)

Excited to see the graphics, everyone says they are insane.

giphy.gif

Oh yeah... excitement rising

Image quality: Uncharted 4 delivers the best image quality we've seen in a console game to date. Even in the face of rare titles like Tearaway Unfolded, with its high quality MSAA settings, Uncharted 4 stands tall. Naughty Dog has developed a temporal anti-aliasing technique that delivers results that sometimes manage to approach the quality of a super-sampled image. Thin edges are remarkably clean, shader aliasing is almost non-existent, and shimmering is all but eliminated. Large, complex fields of detailed foliage remain razor sharp even at a distance while finer details on Nate's weapons remain clearly visible. We noted similarities to the hybrid-reconstruction anti-aliasing used in Far Cry 4 but we cannot say for sure how this was achieved. Perhaps Naughty Dog will share more information on this in the future, as the results are stunning and this technique could benefit console games as a whole.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-uncharted-4-thiefs-end-tech-analysis

So I was seriously contemplating taking off of work tomorrow but sure enough we have a team meeting we only have twice a year so it is pretty important I attend. Stupid work getting in the way.
Even worse it is at the office that is like an hour drive one way for me, so that means I do not get home until 2 hours later than I normally do (meeting goes until 5 PM as well).

So yeah, will probably not get much time with the game tomorrow night, but will be looking at playing later this week.

It is finally here!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

If it's a technical masterpiece for a console, imagine it on PC!

PS Neo? :rofl:

On 5/10/2016 at 4:38 PM, soniqstylz said:

That is awesome.

So I said above I may actually take a day off of work, and I did just that today. I seriously cannot remember the last time I took off of work for a game. I think it might have actually been Uncharted 2. Perhaps Half Life 2. I really cannot remember but it has been a decent amount of time.

And it was 110% worth it.

For my own taste in gaming it is easily the best game of this console generation. Like not even a question. It really checks off all the boxes for me. And the visuals. Oh damn the visuals. Even now that I have a 980Ti card with a 2160 144Hz G-Sync 27" monitor, somehow Uncharted 4 is capable of rivaling the best PC visuals out there. It truly is sorcery. Yeah I know the next response is going to be that is because it is only 1080p and 30 FPS, but seriously somehow that disappears almost immediately and you are just sucked into how damn amazing the game looks.

I am currently on Chapter 14 and just read there are 23 chapters in the game. I have already been playing almost 11 hours as well. But I really take my time even on the first play through, so I probably have a good 7 or 8 hours to go still, which kind of sucks as I am really looking forward to Doom on Friday. I am playing Doom on the PC though so perhaps I will play both at the same time. Chances are though I will just wait to start playing Doom until I am done with Uncharted 4.

Ughhhhh! Why can't Sony start bringing over their games to PC like Microsoft is doing (don't answer that, I know the answer lol) I would kill to play some Uncharted on PC. If I had the money I would totally get a PS4 just for this game alone. From the reviews I've watched today along with some gameplay videos - this looks so good. And they've tightened up the gameplay even more, which is always the most important aspect of a game.

12 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

That is awesome.

So I said above I may actually take a day off of work, and I did just that today. I seriously cannot remember the last time I took off of work for a game. I think it might have actually been Uncharted 2. Perhaps Half Life 2. I really cannot remember but it has been a decent amount of time.

And it was 110% worth it.

For my own taste in gaming it is easily the best game of this console generation. Like not even a question. It really checks off all the boxes for me. And the visuals. Oh damn the visuals. Even now that I have a 980Ti card with a 2160 144Hz G-Sync 27" monitor, somehow Uncharted 4 is capable of rivaling the best PC visuals out there. It truly is sorcery. Yeah I know the next response is going to be that is because it is only 1080p and 30 FPS, but seriously somehow that disappears almost immediately and you are just sucked into how damn amazing the game looks.

I am currently on Chapter 14 and just read there are 23 chapters in the game. I have already been playing almost 11 hours as well. But I really take my time even on the first play through, so I probably have a good 7 or 8 hours to go still, which kind of sucks as I am really looking forward to Doom on Friday. I am playing Doom on the PC though so perhaps I will play both at the same time. Chances are though I will just wait to start playing Doom until I am done with Uncharted 4.

Damn Larry you move fast for an old timer :p You're ahead of me.

By the way did you enjoy

Spoiler

playing Crash Bandicoot?

That is such an awesome little addition. There is a trophy for beating the high score but apparently that is actually impossible... the first time (clue). I tried it for a good hour before being told. No idea when the second chance is.

Another improvement I like is the shooting is far better in this than previous games. Feels weightier.

2 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Damn Larry you move fast for an old timer :p You're ahead of me.

By the way did you enjoy

Hide contents

playing Crash Bandicoot?

That is such an awesome little addition. There is a trophy for beating the high score but apparently that is actually impossible... the first time (clue). I tried it for a good hour before being told. No idea when the second chance is.

Another improvement I like is the shooting is far better in this than previous games. Feels weightier.

I loved ALL of Chapter 4 (I think that was the number). It was basically a nod to ND and their history with the series. The 

Spoiler

attic part? Where it was all the treasures he has collected from past games? So so good.

And yeah the shooting is improved, but I am one of those rare people that did not have much issue with the past games. They were what they were, and I got used to them shortly after playing. But with that said it is weightier for sure.

And yeah now I am freaking out as to how I am going to finish the game without taking off from work. LOL On Chapter 16 and hoping I can play some again tonight, but we will see. My wife may have other plans.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

I loved ALL of Chapter 4 (I think that was the number). It was basically a nod to ND and their history with the series. The 

Reveal hidden contents

attic part? Where it was all the treasures he has collected from past games? So so good.

And yeah the shooting is improved, but I am one of those rare people that did not have much issue with the past games. They were what they were, and I got used to them shortly after playing. But with that said it is weightier for sure.

And yeah now I am freaking out as to how I am going to finish the game without taking off from work. LOL On Chapter 16 and hoping I can play some again tonight, but we will see. My wife may have other plans.

Yeah that whole chapter has a nice moody setting and slower pace. Sure that can be seen as a negative for those used to action non-stop but it is what it is. UC4 seems to have quite a few more slower paced set pieces. I mean the game itself even has quite a slow start. You can tell it is from the minds behind TLoU as that was broken up quite a bit by narrative and slower sections. TLoU still has a better intro than UC4 though IMO, but I enjoyed that game more than UC1~3. It really is my fav ND game so far.

Time will tell once I've finished it if it was the right move to introduce it all to UC this late on, but so far I'm enjoying it all. I love the small touches in the jeep section where interrupted conversation carries on as normal after being resumed.

edit: By the way Larry

Spoiler

there is a trophy in the attic if you hit ALL the targets ;)

I figured this was a trophy for that, and I tried to get it, but I must have just missed something as I did not get it.

21 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

I figured this was a trophy for that, and I tried to get it, but I must have just missed something as I did not get it.

There's 4 of them :p Check hiiiiigh!