Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

A little spoiler/rumor regarding the opening crawl if anyone is interested...

Spoiler

/snip

Up front the “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away” is still there. The movie will then cut to space and the film gets rolling. The opening crawl will not be there as we’ve been hearing for the last year and recently, basically confirmed in the Entertainment Weeklypiece.

The movie does have a Rogue One title card. We see the bald-headed Saw Gerrera open a hatch and save young Jyn after the horrible events that change her life forever and then we see the Rogue One logo emblazoned on the screen.

/snip

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/11/how-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-handles-the-opening-title-cards-and-locations/

49 minutes ago, sava700 said:

I got my tickets ready to go! The theater site along with fandango was getting hammered the other night when they went on sale.

My employer bought out a theater again for opening night :D

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

My employer bought out a theater again for opening night :D

Ehh I'm not going opening night, going next sat instead for middle of day while I'm out shopping.

I'll do opening night again for the next one.

7 minutes ago, sava700 said:

Ehh I'm not going opening night, going next sat instead for middle of day while I'm out shopping.

I'll do opening night again for the next one.

I wouldn't normally due to crowds and such, but I don't have to worry about it in this case. They did it for Star Wars last year too. Best  Xmas present ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Rogue One was pretty good (not going to get into specifics now)

My list after watching it last night:

Empire Strikes Back

New Hope

Force Awakens

Rogue One

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Holiday Special

Phantom Menace

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

I thought Rogue One was pretty good (not going to get into specifics now)

My list after watching it last night:

Empire Strikes Back

New Hope

Force Awakens

Rogue One

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Holiday Special

Phantom Menace

Your list looks right... Listings the Star Wars Holiday Special before the Phantom Menace made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

The GF and I are going tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Just saw this a few hours ago. No spoilers, but it was probably one of the best action movies that I've seen in recent years. Ties up a few other different episodes of Star Wars too, although many (including me) didn't know where it fit until near the end. Worth every penny to watch it!

Edit: I would also get there early if you live in a big town or city. The theater was filled up one hour before it started.

Got to see it last night.

Pretty damn good. It was slow-moving since it's basically a drama piece,

but that scene during the last 10 minutes or so... TOTALLY WORTH IT.

And I mean, even if the rest of the movie had been rubbish (which it wasn't)

it would have still been worth it. Obviously, I'm not going to spoil it...

but DAMN that was awesome.

Did anyone else immediately go home and watch the beginning of a new hope after seeing rogue one?

Anyways, it was really well done and it felt to me way more fresh than even the Force Awakens. 

My only gripe is with the 2 CGI actors they used, I could tell they were fake too easily 

On 12/18/2016 at 9:54 PM, wv@gt said:

Did anyone else immediately go home and watch the beginning of a new hope after seeing rogue one?

Anyways, it was really well done and it felt to me way more fresh than even the Force Awakens. 

My only gripe is with the 2 CGI actors they used, I could tell they were fake too easily 

...waiting for Blu-Ray ... then may do Rebels > Rogue > Hope.  

I thought the two CGI characters were well done ... it is just ... (mild spoilers)

Spoiler

hard to do people CGI ... and with Peter Cushing long dead and Carrie Fisher being 60 ... yea ... I think they did well with what they had.  Tarkin was probably used too much though and probably should have been used more sparingly ... or they could have recast him (like Jeremy Irons, Bill Nighy, or some other) I guess.

Anyway ... I do not think it is possible with today's tech to put a real human by a CGI human and not know the difference.  Maybe one day ... but not yet.

superb every single minute of it :) 

I say give this director/story team the real star wars franchise, this made JJA attempt dull as dishwater!

• Like 3

It was good,  I wouldn't say great tough,  I never got invested in the characters so I don't fall feel much for them or their mission.  The movie does look great,  top notch cgi for the fights and the way it slots into the time-line is good.  Saying that though there is too much of it,  those who've seen it know what I'm talking about.  You can kind of tell that its had reshoots to,  in the 3rd act. 

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Visually, this was the best Star Wars I have ever seen. However, I felt the movie was slow and did not really enjoy it all that much until the very end. I actually enjoyed TFA more.

It did start out slow, but the pace picked up as the story progressed. I thought it was quite well written.

My ranking:

Empire

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Jedi

Phantom Menace

The Ewok TV movies

Revenge of the Sith

SW Holiday Special

Recorded footage from Lego Star Wars dubbed by a 5 year old

Attack of the Clones

• 2 weeks later...

The characters sucked. The robot outshined the leads, and not just because he was funny, it's because he had some personality. Also, half of the characters didn't have anything to do in the last act of the movie, which ultimately made me not care about

them dying. The blind dude, his buddy, and the pilot, their big thing at the end of the movie was communicating to the rebel forces outside of the planetary shield that they have to destroy the shield in order for the data signal to work, something that the rebels were already actively trying to do for like 10 minutes anyway. We didn't get some scenes with random stormtroopers trying to contact Death Star to let them know that important data was being compromised and that they're better off obliterating the base, because it was OBVIOUS. They just had to have them do something and insert a schmaltzy emotional scene to trick you into believing they're proper characters.

Other than that, the pacing wasn't perfect, but the ending sort of makes up for it. I applaud them for taking a few chances you wouldn't expect in a Star Wars movie, but at the same time, that doesn't make up for some major flaws. Overall, it's okay. I bet it's going to make a gazillion dollars, because Star Wars, but I'm kind of skeptical about the spin-off movies after this one.

• Like 1

Interesting trailer (takes some scenes from Rogue One and Rebels)... has anyone ever watched Rebels?  Thinking about giving it a shot.

"See Saw Gerrera as a rebel before he became a rogue. Catch the special two-part episode of Star Wars Rebels Saturday, January 7 anywhere you can watch Disney XD, and see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in theaters now."