Forza Horizon 3 - Greatest racer of the gen?

Nice, have it got it waiting to go on the Xbox, my store download just won't happen though and keen to try this in 4k.

Their forums are filling up with similar issues from disgruntled PC users.

Been playing since Friday. NOW I might be able to agree it is the greatest racer of this gen since I finally got to play it.  :laugh:

Seriously though, it is a pretty damn great game (technical issues aside, right now I am not playing it on my PC as I too am suffering from the stuttering issue even though it was fixed from enabling Max Performance Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel, but it is still there, and none of the DLC is working on PC either, including VIP, which is pretty big as it gives double credits and all of that.

Technical issues aside, the One version is issue free minus one crash I had while uploading a screenshot which is nothing. 

I have played most of the weekend since my wife has an important exam on Monday she has been studying all weekend for, and I am only 11.5% through with completion. That is insane and just shows how much there is to do in the game itself. It looks great, is super fun, and for the most part it is perfect. Some small nitpicks like choosing radio stations is pointless as eventually they all unlock anyway, so why bother with that? But overall there are only one or two small things like that and the rest of the stuff the game just nails.

I am off to play right now actually. Have to get some playtime in before my NY Giants play at 1 PM. I just hope they get the PC version fixed up sooner rather than later as that is going to be a whole lot for myself as to if I keep playing it alot, or just now and then. PC version means I can let me wife watch whatever she wants and go play in my office. No PC version means I need to wait until I get the TV, which is not that often due to all the stuff on TV at this time of year. So I do hope they fix the PC issue soon. According to someone from the Dev on NeoGaf they are well aware of the issues on PC and working on a patch. Last I heard there was no ETA.

So I would say it is definitely up there as the greatest racer of this gen, if not the greatest. I just think even though the racers this gen seem very similar on the surface, once you dig deeper they all have something different to offer. I actually really love DriveClub because it is so simplistic in how it does thing, it basically gets to the racing and nothing else. Where F3H takes a totally different approach. It creates this massive world and really encourages the player to become a part of that world, customizing cars, going online, challenging Rivals, and the list keeps going and going. So there is no doubt at all I can easily say that FH3 is the most feature rich racer of this gen offering the player the most options. By a mile actually (pun intended).

• Like 2

Playing the game some more since I last posted.

Yep, it is the best arcade racing game of this generation, and perhaps the best ever.

I think it is important to say arcade though, as it no doubt is. It is just a different beast than Forza itself and other games like Gran Turismo and DriveClub.

This is an arcade racer.

My favorite one since Burnout Paradise. I absolutely loved that game. And this is better than it.  

It is also easily the best game to be released for the XBox One. Very easily.

I just wish the wheel I own for my PC worked with Windows 10, but it does not, at least not yet. I still have a few options to try to get it working. That would truly take things to the next level and really make me feel as if I am playing an Arcade Cabinet.

Also if people are checking it out on the PC and run into any of the known performance issues some players are facing, post here and say so. I have a few fixes thanks to members of NeoGAF that have no doubt improved performance for at least myself. With that said I am still leaning towards playing it on the One. Something about a 65" screen that just fits.

• Like 1

Finally managed to get it installed on Win 10. Had to change default install drive for apps, reboot, change back, reboot - then install worked but only on OS drive. Hopefully I can move it later as can't atm.

Been loving it on 4k. Running a fairly good spec and not seeing the stutters. I did follow the recommendation to set MSAA to off which I'll just have to live with for now.

4k on a 43" screen. Lovely!

Xbox nick is SledgeNZ.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 0:26 AM, DirtyLarry said:

Been playing since Friday. NOW I might be able to agree it is the greatest racer of this gen since I finally got to play it.  :laugh:

Hoorar! I was never in doubt :laugh:

Definitely the best arcade racer of this generation, I know it's totally different game to Motorsport but I'll go out and say the best racing game of the generation bar any other. I haven't had this much fun and hours sunk into a racer since PGR. To me, I'll say it. This is my favourite racing game ever arcade or sim.

The PC issues people have suck but hopefully with a lot being fix just by user settings changes Playground can roll out an update as soon as possible that addresses the majority. The game runs absolutely perfect on the xbox. The only issue I have noticed is when scrolling through the wheel designs they really lag down? Might just be me and need to clear my cache. Unless other people here are experiencing this as well.

To the game, I'm about 50% complete and feel like I'm no where near completion (24 or so hours sunk in). Even if I finished the show cases days ago, if there is one nit pick I have with this game it's there is way to much to do I know I'll appreciate this as the longer I own the game goes on but I find myself with enough festival expansions to max out all the festivals to level 5 but refuse to do so before I finish everything at each location.

Driven every road.

All barn finds.

Every showcase.

Over half of the exhibition races done.

23 million fans. 

But I've only done about 15 championship races :( Haven't completed any street races, or done even one design race yet either. 

Also, smashing the warthog through the jungle while Halo OST plays on timeless radio is something very special. 

18 hours ago, Sledge said:

Finally managed to get it installed on Win 10. Had to change default install drive for apps, reboot, change back, reboot - then install worked but only on OS drive. Hopefully I can move it later as can't atm.

Been loving it on 4k. Running a fairly good spec and not seeing the stutters. I did follow the recommendation to set MSAA to off which I'll just have to live with for now.

4k on a 43" screen. Lovely!

Xbox nick is SledgeNZ.

Won't be getting any 4K play until Scorpio, but envious of anyone already enjoying it. Will add you when I get home tonight :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting until the PC demo arrives (it hasn't yet - dagnabbit) - does anyone know if the PC version requires DX12?  That is the biggest issue for me right now - a dGPU that supports DX12.  (While my iGPU does - Intel 4400 series with 20.19.15 beta or later - it does not have enough graphical oomph to be useful in a Forza game.)

5 hours ago, PGHammer said:

I'm waiting until the PC demo arrives (it hasn't yet - dagnabbit) - does anyone know if the PC version requires DX12?  That is the biggest issue for me right now - a dGPU that supports DX12.  (While my iGPU does - Intel 4400 series with 20.19.15 beta or later - it does not have enough graphical oomph to be useful in a Forza game.)

Yes it does require DX12. If you have an xbox I would recommend grabbing on that digitally since will cost the same to play on PC either way and the game saves work from either location on PC or the Xbox so you won't lose anything when you do start playing on PC.

Runs flawlessly on the xbox and looks terrific. 

• 3 weeks later...

Although really not a lot of information here's a sneak peek at what's coming as part of the first expansion

3320cf09-5c21-495d-b014-7b477c1b4be4.gif

Looks like it's called Blizzard (or something).....wonder what it could be :p

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been in the states for the last few weeks, finally home to get some game time in again.

Second car pack.

Don't know if the game is aware of how to disappoint. 

• 3 months later...

Third car pack, Forza Horizon 3 Logitech G Car Pack.

The Logitech Car Pack has arrived for Forza Horizon 3, bringing with it seven new vehicles hand-picked to deliver driving delights during the holiday season. Leading off the pack is the Bentley EXP 10 Speed 6 Concept. Sure, it might not be drivable in the real world yet, but it’s easy to appreciate this car’s beautiful melding of performance and luxury in Forza Horizon 3. The remaining roster in the Logitech Car Pack is deep in unique driving experiences. The Morgan 3 Wheeler makes its Forza debut, with its unique design making it a highly requested car from fans all over the world. The Morgan is paired with early American muscle in the 1965 Pontiac GTO and long-awaited imports like the 1992 Toyota Supra. There’s also Jaguar’s SUV debut and the latest speedster from Mercedes-AMG, alongside an Australian rarity in the 1996 HSV GTS/R. The Logitech Car Pack is included as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Car Pass, which is available for purchase on the Xbox Store. Players can also get the pack as a standalone purchase for $6.99.

Forza Horizon 3, Blizzard Mountain expansion.

A snow-packed mountain of fun beckons with the Blizzard Mountain expansion for Forza Horizon 3! Conquer snow, ice, extreme elevations, and blizzards in your new campaign to become King of the Mountain. The Blizzard Mountain expansion adds eight new cars and trucks to the game including the 2016 Ford Focus RS RX GYMKHANA 9 Edition and a brand-new barn find car, as well as snow tire upgrades and thrilling new race modes like Hill Climb, Descent, and Blizzard Races, additional Bucket List Blueprints, Rivals events, Xbox Live Achievements, and much more! Blizzard Mountain is the first of two game expansions included in the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass at a discounted price.

Fourth Car pack, Forza Horizon 3 Rockstar Energy Car Pack.

Whether you’re cruising the wine country of Yarra Valley or tackling the most extreme elevations of Blizzard Mountain, the Forza Horizon 3 Rockstar Car Pack features seven cars that will kick your year off to a high-speed start. This pack features everything from classic Japanese power to a Ford trophy truck that’s ready to conquer anything Australia can throw at it. Then there’s the awesome BMW i8, making its production car videogame debut here in Forza Horizon 3. And that’s just the start of this incredible pack.The Rockstar Car Pack is included in the Forza Horizon 3 Car Pass, which is available for separate purchase or as part of the Ultimate Edition of Forza Horizon 3. Players can also get the car pack standalone for $6.99 in the Xbox Store.

Fifth car pack, Forza Horizon 3 Playseat Car Pack.

The Playseat Car Pack is coming to Forza Horizon 3! Launching tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 7, the Playseat Car Pack brings seven new vehicles to the wide, open roads of Australia. The list of cars begins appropriately with one of the favorite cars of an Aussie racing legend, Pete Brock’s 1985 HDT VK Commodore Group A. The pack also features Cadillac’s latest high-performance coupe, the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V, plus Aston Martin’s new DB11, two Honda models (one a high-revving classic, the other a race-bred Civic) and more.         

• 3 weeks later...

Sixth car pack, Forza Horizon Duracell Car Pack.

Seven new cars arrive in Forza Horizon 3 with the release of the Duracell Car Pack on March 7th. Whether you’re looking to test the upper limits of speed in the king of Camaros – the 2017 ZL1 – or you want to add a cherished Aussie collector piece to your garage with the 1992 Falcon GT, the Duracell Car Pack has a mix that’s sure to please car fans of every stripe. 
The Duracell Car Pack is the final pack included in the Forza Horizon 3 Car Pass, which is available for separate purchase or as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition. All the cars in this pack are also compatible with the first Forza Horizon 3 expansion, Blizzard Mountain, which is available as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass, or as a standalone purchase.

That's the last of the free cars from Ultimate edition and brings the total up to about 500! I'm sure they've been holding back on some Australian classics I know people will pay hand over fist for. Hoping for one car in particular, fingers crossed.

• 5 weeks later...

No car pack this month, but looks like we'll get some new information about the next expansion and maybe relating to Scorpio? Who knows. Hopefully the news hits soon.

Welcome to another edition of the Week in Review! You’ll recall that at the beginning of the month we dropped a new car pack on you – the Duracell Car Pack. As I’ve mentioned in the past, this was the final car pack included as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Car Pass. The obvious follow-up question is: Is that it or is more cool content coming up? The answer is a resounding YES. We’ve got more great stuff coming in Forza Horizon 3, including the next expansion for the game which I know all of you are curious about.

With that in mind, I wanted to let you all know that we will not have a new car pack for Forza Horizon 3 next week. There will be FH3 news and content in April and we’ll have more to say about that soon. As I tend to say at times like this… (you saw this coming, right?)… stay tuned.

98935c9c-88cb-4e9a-8687-e4d0134b34e8.jpg

The Porches  are here.

Available today, the Forza Horizon 3 Porsche Car Pack adds seven acclaimed Porsche vehicles to the open world of Australia’s Horizon Festival, including Porsche models making their debut on this console generation. With this pack, players will experience prime examples of the breadth and depth of Porsche’s automotive history from classic racing models like the 1960 718 RS 60 to modern-day powerhouses like the 2016 911 

• 2 weeks later...

NEW EXPANSION. Help, I did not expect this. Looks f'n awesome.

85c2cb50-73a4-44f9-969b-a44420a9e30c.jpg

The Horizon Festival and Hot Wheels have teamed up to create the ultimate playground for cars! Located off the coast of Australia, this chain of islands is here to make your Hot Wheels fantasies come to life with loops, corkscrews, boost pads, high bank turns, half-pipes, insane jumps - and even mechanical dinosaurs! Use the new Stunt Swap feature to modify stunt track sections and dare your friends to try them. Race ten new cars including Hot Wheels icons like the Twin Mill and Boneshaker. Discover a new hidden barn find car, earn new Xbox Live achievements, and more.

I did not realise how much I wanted this before seeing it :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I...err...did not.  I like Trackmania Turbo more for silly racing stuff.

That said, it's still fun.  And funny.  And obviously in a better engine, though Trackmania Turbo is FAR better than previous Trackmania games.

I still can't believe they released it in the first place heh.  :)

It looks like the newest PC patch has also boosted performance for people who where CPU limited and getting FPS drops, I see posts from PC gamers who say they've seen anywhere from 20-30fps!

Say what you will about Forza as a game, the engine itself though, is one heck of an optimized beast.

• 4 weeks later...

Mountain Dew car pack :laugh: Nacho car pack next please.

Seven new cars arrive in Forza Horizon 3 on June 6 with the release of the Mountain Dew Car Pack. From the ultimate track toy prowess found in the 2016 Lotus 3-Eleven or the sensible practicality of “Australia’s Own Car” the 1951 Holden FX Sedan, this car pack is full of fun, functional, and formidable cars to take to the track or your favorite road.

The Mountain Dew Car Pack will be available on June 6 as a standalone purchase. All of the cars in the pack are compatible with the Blizzard Mountain expansion and the Hot Wheels expansion, which are available as part of the Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass or as standalone purchases.

• 2 months later...

The Hoonigan car pack, Pre order FM7 and get this pack for free. Not sure if I'll preorder want to play on the X first.

Coming August 15th, the Forza Horizon 3 Hoonigan Car pack brings seven of the most iconic Hoonigan cars to Forza Horizon 3. Rip through the outback in cars like the 1965 Ford Mustang Hoonicorn RTR V2 and the 1992 Mazda RX-7 Twerkstallion. For a limited time, pre-order Forza Motorsport 7 and receive the Hoonigan Car pack for free in Forza Horizon 3 starting August 15th and in Forza Motorsport 7 at launch!

Horizon 3 for PC is cheap also atm, seen it for W10 at £15...might pick it up, sure is pretty at 4K at 60-100fps on my machine :D (1080ti & sig machine)