Are Games Ever Released Complete?

1 hour ago, madd-hatter said:

Today I discovered the ignore feature on this board. Win!

Truth hurts that much, huh?  What's the matter, heavily involved in the game publishing industry or something?

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Again, just because they are complex, doesn't mean that issues should not be addressed before they are put on sale. 

Well, I agree of course. Ideally, studios should not put out seriously broken games; but it's always been the case for a significant minority of them, and this can be understood as the product of normal human failability in the face of systems that are extraordinarily complex and hard to plan and budget for. Video games are part R&D; R&D is by nature risky and sometimes fails to deliver. Studios are in fact generally getting better at planning and QA, but at the same time releasing ever bigger games, so the rate of defect and lemons remains pretty constant.

So, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's good that things are this way; I'm just explaning why it's this way and why there's no reason to expect this to change. I think a more useful angle to our reflection would be on refund policies, which as you detailed do not protect the consumer very adequately.

• Like 1