PlayStation Meeting 2016

PS4 Pro:

Sony announces PlayStation 4 Pro for November 2016, priced £349

Say hello to "forward compatibility".

By Robert Purchese Published 07/09/2016

Sony has announced the Playstation 4 Pro machine at the PlayStation Meeting 2016. It will be released 10th November 2016, for £349/$399. This is the PlayStation Neo machine rumoured for so long.

Sony's chief console maker Mark Cerny said PS4 Pro has "more than doubled" the GPU power of the standard PS4, and that it uses AMD's Polaris architecture. The clock-rate of the CPU has been boosted but he didn't say what to.

The PS4 Pro will have a 1TB hard-drive.

Sony's message with the PS4 Pro was clear, and repeated: it is a this-generation machine for people pursuing 4K gaming, virtual reality and HDR gaming - the hardcore technology enthusiast. By naming it PS4 Pro, Sony is declaring the generation it belongs to.

PS4 Pro will play existing PS4 games as you know them now, Cerny assured us, and he said there will be ways to transfer games across.

Continues...

CrxzQNVUMAAbYOZ.jpg

-----

PS4 "Slim"

Sony finally confirms PlayStation 4 slim model, priced £259

Standard model from here on, launches in just over a week.

By Tom Phillips Published 07/09/2016

Sony has finally, finally announced the new slim model PlayStation 4.

It will be the standard PS4 model from here on out and will launch in just over a week - although, of course, early units have already been in the hands of players for weeks.

The console's official launch date will be 15th September. It costs £259 in the UK, or $299 in the US.

We've already seen the console for ourselves - and what it can do - but you can read all about that here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-07-sony-finally-confirms-playstation-4-slim-model-priced-259

Live blog of the whole event

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Did they mention the base storage of the new standard PS4, AB? I missed the start because of Apple's keynote

Nah but I'm assuming 500GB. Pro only has 1TB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

Nah but I'm assuming 500GB. Pro only has 1TB.

That sucks, I thought all new PS4s prior to today came with the new chasis and 1 TB standard :/

Was VR mentioned at all? I have read lots about HDR and 4K support only.

Just now, Andrew said:

That sucks, I thought all new PS4s prior to today came with the new chasis and 1 TB standard :/

Was VR mentioned at all? I have read lots about HDR and 4K support only.

Nah all the base units are still at 500GB :/

Just that Pro increases the framerate and fidelity and they showed a VR game (but that's pointless as it's just showing it on a screen).

• Like 1

Well that was underwhelming.

I was hoping for something that wasn't leaked and not just the two hardware launches.  I also expected the slim to undercut the One S on price since it doesn't do 4k (video).  Oh well.

Back to gaming on my launch console...

9 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

Well that was underwhelming.

I was hoping for something that wasn't leaked and not just the two hardware launches.  I also expected the slim to undercut the One S on price since it doesn't do 4k (video).  Oh well.

Back to gaming on my launch console...

It does 4K streaming from Netflix etc, but there's no confirmation yet if it has 4K UHD Blu-Ray. Never mind, confirmed by Engadget:

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It does 4K streaming from Netflix etc, but there's no confirmation yet if it has 4K UHD Blu-Ray. Never mind, confirmed by Engadget:

I was saying I expected the SLIM (not the Pro) to be cheaper than the S since it doesn't do 4k video like the S does.  Both cost $299 but at that price the Xbox One S seems like a better deal to me (despite the fact I've never owned an Xbox and am very happy with my launch PS4)

I know the Pro does 4k streaming... although it is a bit shocking to me that the Pro doesn't have an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive like the One S does.

Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking but I'm going to assume this means Sony is going to announce a Ultra HD Blu-ray based PS5 next year (for launch around Christmas 2018) right before Project Scorpio ships.

3 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I know the Pro does 4k streaming... although it is a bit shocking to me that the Pro doesn't have an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive like the One S does.

Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking but I'm going to assume this means Sony is going to announce a Ultra HD Blu-ray based PS5 next year (for launch around Christmas 2018) right before Project Scorpio ships.

I think so too. I doubt they will want to match Scorpio and instead supersede with a PS5. Surprising it doesnt have 4K UHD though, considering they are part of the consortium and make the drives :laugh: I guess they can't include it at the price or make them slim enough?

No UHD is surprising as it's Sony, but pricing and gaming is clearly what they've hedged their bets on. Time will tell but I bet $2 that gamers with spec envy can't hold off when they start to see others enjoy FF15/TLG and more at a higher FPS/fidelity.

They've got a VR unit to sell next month.

3 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

No UHD is surprising as it's Sony, but pricing and gaming is clearly what they've hedged their bets on. Time will tell but I bet $2 that gamers with spec envy can't hold off when they start to see others enjoy FF15/TLG and more at a higher FPS/fidelity.

Do you have a spec sheet of the PS4 Slim? Does it include 802.11 AC and BT 4.0 LE?

Just now, Andrew said:

Do you have a spec sheet of the PS4 Slim? Does it include 802.11 AC and BT 4.0 LE?

It supports 5ghz (AC), this was known from leak. Not sure about BT.

1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

It supports 5ghz (AC), this was known from leak. Not sure about BT.

I saw the leak mentioned 5 GHz, but it was only from the UI. It didn't specifically mention AC. But (Y)

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think so too. I doubt they will want to match Scorpio and instead supersede with a PS5. Surprising it doesnt have 4K UHD though, considering they are part of the consortium and make the drives :laugh: I guess they can't include it at the price or make them slim enough?

My best guess is that they don't want to have a gaming device that uses a media that games can't take advantage of.  Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs support higher capacity but that would be wasted on the Pro for games as they have to work in the launch PS4 too.  So they're stuck with Blu-Ray for now for games so why bother increasing the price just for movies when most people stream movies now anyway.

Especially if they plan to launch a PS5 "soon" (Christmas 2018?) as I suspect and with that both games and movies can use the same Ultra HD Blu-Ray media.  Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway.

13 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Horizon

Couldn't care less about the Pro model at this point but Horizon sure looks like a great game for my 2GB launch PS4. :-)

No 4K drive? Jesus Sony what the f are you doing? How are they selling this as a 4K machine when nothing is native? Microsoft would get slammed if they marketed anything like that.

And 4K streaming a selling point what so ever? Every SINGLE 4K TV comes with Netflix/Amazon apps already :laugh: 4K Streaming for that matter doesn't look any better than retail blurays on my devices because the bit rate is shot to ######.

Has optical I guess?

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Sadly Sony doesn't even have a native 4K Blu-ray player on the market at all. That's terrible and I literally have no real reason to upgrade at this point.

5 hours ago, Asmodai said:

My best guess is that they don't want to have a gaming device that uses a media that games can't take advantage of.  Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs support higher capacity but that would be wasted on the Pro for games as they have to work in the launch PS4 too.  So they're stuck with Blu-Ray for now for games so why bother increasing the price just for movies when most people stream movies now anyway.

Especially if they plan to launch a PS5 "soon" (Christmas 2018?) as I suspect and with that both games and movies can use the same Ultra HD Blu-Ray media.  Most people don't have 4k TVs yet anyway.

It can play 4k uhd discs for movies and still use classic bdr for games.  And I think 4K adoption is at 25% and growing, but only very new TVs have HDR. So why that was a priority and not uhd discs is beyond (Beyond!) me.

13 minutes ago, soniqstylz said:

It can play 4k uhd discs for movies and still use classic bdr for games.  And I think 4K adoption is at 25% and growing, but only very new TVs have HDR. So why that was a priority and not uhd discs is beyond (Beyond!) me.

4k MIGHT be 25% of NEW TV sales...maybe. But people don't replace TVs yearly and there is no way it's that high of a percentage of TVs in active use. Most TVs in active use are likely several years old.

As for HDR it's a software update so it's not like it took any focus from the hardware design of the system.