Can Someone Use "Straights" in a Sentence?

This is petty, I know. But we had a question last night during a quiz: What is a nine letter, one syllable word?

The answer was apparently "straights." There are eight other possibilities, but I was thinking about the answer itself.

Google has failed me, can someone use it in a sentence? I don't think it's a real word, and it's bugging me.

3 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Please remember to follow the straights, otherwise you run the risk of falling victim to the rapids

Those would be straits. 

• Like 1

3 guys walk into a bar, not realising it catered towards the homosexual clientele, the patrons saw these 3 men, and realised that they were out of their element,

One of them turned to look at his friends, and said, see those three straights over there?? :p 

5 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

3 guys walk into a bar, not realising it catered towards the homosexual clientele, the patrons saw these 3 men, and realised that they were out of their element,

One of them turned to look at his friends, and said, see those three straights over there?? :p 

beat me to it :p

• Like 1

If at some point you find yourself in dire straits - such as the one the OP appeared to have when trying to come up with a proper sentence using the word "straits" then perhaps using Google to search for the word is a good idea:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dire+straits

Yes, yes, I know, Dire Straits is also the name of a most excellent band too but, even so. ;)

And yes I realize the OP was asking for "straights" but I'm pretty sure the actual terminology is "straits" - "straights" is not actually a word as in a plural version of the word "straight" as in something that doesn't bend.

Edited by br0adband

At the protest there were gays, straights, transgenders and people from all walks of life.

There are more straights than flushes in a deck of cards.

The other racecars were too slow along the straights so I overtook them.

• Like 4

I would say that straights is a made up word.  Straight and strait are words, but straights is not a word.  Dictionary.com does not recognize straights as a plural of straight, I do not even see it in the urban dictionary.

• Like 2

Does "Examples from the Web" constitute an accepted form?  We could then make up any word and it would be in "Examples from the Web"...kind of what urban dictionary is for TBH.

Just google it with quotes as a starter:

https://www.google.nl/search?num=100&q="straights"&oq="straights"&gs_l=serp.3..0i7i10i30k1l2j0i7i30k1j0i7i10i30k1l3j0i7i30k1j0i7i10i30k1l2j0i7i30k1.1422.2709.0.3549.2.2.0.0.0.0.78.152.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.2.151...0j0i10k1.puswMR1w54Q

Some examples:

A C++ implementation of the straights card game.

The Longest Straights in F1.

We're at Straights Cottage on Leighs Road.

28 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I would say that straights is a made up word.  Straight and strait are words, but straights is not a word.  Dictionary.com does not recognize straights as a plural of straight, I do not even see it in the urban dictionary.

Things that don't exist tend to exist during quizzes in my experience :p

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Does "Examples from the Web" constitute an accepted form?  We could then make up any word and it would be in "Examples from the Web"...kind of what urban dictionary is for TBH.

These examples are not accepted forms of straights. Sources like The Daily Beast is not considered reputable sources at they are simply writers for the website. I have done this drill a zillion times while pursuing my Doctorate.

4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

This I believe 1000%

This is why sources such as Wikipedia are not used as reliable sources. It is not a professional, scholarly source, but more a community reference site. I got dinged on this early in my studies.