Proposed Upgrade

Just now, Unobscured Vision said:

Thank you kindly. :) Pretty sure once I bear in mind that I need to use the UEFI images and/or UEFI-mode when installing DIstros things should be fine. There's some kind of compatibility setting that I need to enable in the UEFI Setup to allow things to work, iirc, along with disabling 'Secure Boot" as well. I think?

Yes there is "Secure Boot" to deal with, and there also something to do with CSM (Compatibility support module) that you may need to deal with. I haven't ran Linux on this board so I don't know if there anything else that you may need to take care of.

This is the mamual for my board: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-C/E9748_Z97-C_v2_manual_web.pdf?_ga=1.240357891.1895824227.1474937810 so you can get an idea on what the UEFI/BIOS is like.

• Like 1

I can't find anything on my board with UEFI/SecureBoot/CSM....

While it has a UEFI BIOS, it has no UEFI options...

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I can't find anything on my board with UEFI/SecureBoot/CSM....

While it has a UEFI BIOS, it has no UEFI options...

SecureBoot is on the 'Security Screen.' See Page 74 of your motherboard manual.

You can also run this command via Admin Powershell

Confirm-SecureBootUEFI

It will return true, false, or "Cmdlet not supported on this platform". 

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

SecureBoot is on the 'Security Screen.' See Page 74 of your motherboard manual.

You can also run this command via Admin Powershell

Confirm-SecureBootUEFI

It will return true, false, or "Cmdlet not supported on this platform". 

It was set to disabled. I switch it to enabled, and tried my OpenSuSe USB, and it wouldn't work. I get a blank screen. And the stick is chirping away, but looks like it isn't doing anything...

21 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Recreate the USB, is it formatted fat32 or ntfs? UEFI usb needs to be fat32, use rufus to create it. Last time I had that issue, my iso was bad and redownloading and checking the hash worked.

I never thought of that... I'll reformat and give it a go.

Wow, that actually... Works.... I got to OpenSuSe, ask me if I wanted to use their UEFI, then went into the install menu... Just backed out of there, as I didn't want to install it just yet ;) But just the fact in, umm, it worked?

Why don't they say that, umm, anywhere? I looked high and low about this...

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Wow, that actually... Works.... I got to OpenSuSe, ask me if I wanted to use their UEFI, then went into the install menu... Just backed out of there, as I didn't want to install it just yet ;) But just the fact in, umm, it worked?

Why don't they say that, umm, anywhere? I looked high and low about this...

Its possible enough people in the linux community just dont use UEFI systems or use legacy mode instead, I dunno. Glad this was resolved without buying a new system. I guess I know some things, well sometimes :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Its possible enough people in the linux community just dont use UEFI systems or use legacy mode instead, I dunno. Glad this was resolved without buying a new system. I guess I know some things, well sometimes :)

Well, I might buy that new system, but further down the road :)

Thx for your help :)