Trouble adding Gmail e-mail account into Outlook 2016

I am using the following:

Username: The Gmail e-mail address

IMAP access is enabled in Gmail's settings.

Incoming mail server:

imap.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Port: 993

Outgoing mail server:

smtp@gmail.com

Using TLS

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for TLS: 587

Require SPA login: No

My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: Yes (same username/password as incoming mail server)

When I try to login, I get:

Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Please log in via your web browser:

https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)

I have tried setting "Access for less secure apps" to Off and On, nothing helps.

Any ideas

Edited by Elliot B.

12 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Are you using the 2FA?  If so, you might want to use that app password you had it generated for that Outlook. Not your login password.  

If you did that, then you might be doing something wrong or check this site out and see: 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/RdAVxF_GTsc;context-place=topicsearchin/gmail/Billow

I can't find anywhere in Google's account settings whether two-factor is enabled or not and if it is, where to generate a new code.

You have to enable 2FA manually and each app needs a different password hence the problem you seem to be having

https://www.google.com/intl/en_GB/landing/2step/

App password codes and generator

https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords?pli=1

Edited by Arachno 1D

On 10/15/2016 at 5:05 PM, TAZMINATOR said:

Oops. I made a mistake. i meant 2 Step vertification.   

You can see on the Sign in page and the 2 Step Vertification down below when you scroll down a bit:

https://myaccount.google.com/security

You also can see the app passwords section.  if you havent' made, you will see 0 passwords. If you create one, you will have 1 password.

This screenshot shows my personal account (it shows what you're referring to):

eb_2fa-1.png

However, this is a screenshot of the account I'm trying to connect to Outlook 2016:

eb_2fa-3.png

Entering a password into the above just takes you change the password, which then just takes you back to https://myaccount.google.com/security

I basically see zero reference to 2-Step Verification on the account in question :/

Any further ideas?

You have enabled some sort of extra security method on the account in question. Also, outgoing should be smtp.gmail.com not smtp@gmail.com maybe that is causing it. Outlook pulls the info though, so no need to manually add the server info. Your posts are hard to follow, but my recommendation would be open two different browsers and go through the security settings on the working account and compare them page by page to your non-working account. At some point you enabled something extra within security of the account.

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

You have enabled some sort of extra security method on the account in question. Also, outgoing should be smtp.gmail.com not smtp@gmail.com maybe that is causing it. Outlook pulls the info though, so no need to manually add the server info. Your posts are hard to follow, but my recommendation would be open two different browsers and go through the security settings on the working account and compare them page by page to your non-working account. At some point you enabled something extra within security of the account.

smtp@gmail.com is a typo.

go here, https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha, follow the instructions then try Outlook again.

Something is wrong with your account, but apparently you NEED to use less secure apps, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2984937

How did you add this new account to Outlook? Did you let Outlook set it up automatically?   If not, then I suggest you do that.  

Remove your account from Outlook, close Outlook down, and restart your PC. 

Then follow these steps, one after the other, in this order. The order is particularly important and unlocking the captcha should always be your final step

Then go here: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and click Continue. 

Start Outlook

Sign into your Gmail account using your browser at https://mail.google.com

Go to Settings >> Forwarding & POP/IMAP and make sure IMAP is enabled. Leave all IMAP settings at default. 

If you use 2 step verification, go to your security settings and generate a new App Password. Copy that password

If you don't use 2 step verification, skip (4) and go here and enable access for "less secure" apps: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Then immediately go back to Outlook and set up your account again, letting Outlook do it automatically using the Setup Wizard. 

If you use 2 step verification, give Outlook your username and paste the App Password you copied earlier into the Password box. 

If you don't use 2 step verification just give Outlook your username and your normal account password 

Then let Outlook get on with it and set up your account for automatically. 

Leave all Outlook's settings at their defaults until you know whether you have been successful.

Again, I dont know why this would be the case, i just setup my laptop over the weekend and let outlook pull my gmail settings, I dont have less secure apps enabled, and it works fine. I also use 2FA.

Just now, xendrome said:

From his own screen shot he has 2 step authentication on, he needs to click "App Passwords" and generate a password to be used for Outlook.

As I said, that is from MY account, not the one I'm trying to work with :)

3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

From his own screen shot he has 2 step authentication on, he needs to click "App Passwords" and generate a password to be used for Outlook.

His posts are confusing, I thought the same thing but he says that is a different account. It only adds to the confusion IMO.

The question is, did you manually enter the server settings or did you let outlook download them on its own?

7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I've never had an issue with GMail in *any* version of Outlook since Outlook gained IMAP4 support with Outlook 2013.  In fact, starting with Outlook 2013, Outlook auto-detects GMail settings, and it is (literally) as easy as signing in to Google's services manually.  (Yes - the same applies to Windows Mail, which also support IMAP4; the "auto-detection" protocols are, in fact, lifted directly from Outlook.  Unfortunately, Windows Mail can't import from - or export to - any version of Outlook, so you have to enter the settings manually; however, Windows Mail - unlike Outlook - supports Yahoo Mail - which I use because I'm co-moderator of a Yahoo Group.)

I'm hoping that VZ does NOT back out of the Yahoo deal for the express bhope that they make POP3 (or better yet, IMAP4) standard for Yahoo Mail (or, at worst, a no-cost option); it would not be a stretch, as GMail had POP3 as a no-cost option because IMAP4, despite being the default, was not used all that widely when GMail began.

Just now, PGHammer said:

I've never had an issue with GMail in *any* version of Outlook since Outlook gained IMAP4 support with Outlook 2013.  In fact, starting with Outlook 2013, Outlook auto-detects GMail settings, and it is (literally) as easy as signing in to Google's services manually.  (Yes - the same applies to Windows Mail, which also support IMAP4; the "auto-detection" protocols are, in fact, lifted directly from Outlook.  Unfortunately, Windows Mail can't import from - or export to - any version of Outlook, so you have to enter the settings manually; however, Windows Mail - unlike Outlook - supports Yahoo Mail - which I use because I'm co-moderator of a Yahoo Group.)

I'm hoping that VZ does NOT back out of the Yahoo deal for the express bhope that they make POP3 (or better yet, IMAP4) standard for Yahoo Mail (or, at worst, a no-cost option); it would not be a stretch, as GMail had POP3 as a no-cost option because IMAP4, despite being the default, was not used all that widely when GMail began.

Neither have I, that includes public gmail accounts and business google accounts, but something OP has setup is causing this. Once we hear if he was manually adding the server or having outlook download the settings will be easier to help.

1 hour ago, Elliot B. said:

I basically see zero reference to 2-Step Verification on the account in question :/

It says in that screen shot that 2-Step verification has been on since April 13th :o

Just now, warwagon said:

It says in that screen shot that 2-Step verification has been on since April 13th :o

See, three or four posts above, that is another account. @OP i recommend you just remove that photo, it has lead to confusion.

Your topics always turn out to be a complete a waste of time, you either never return or update your thread with any sort of progress. You didnt both to answer any of my questions so that we could help and now are running away. Thanks for wasting our time, you might want to have a mod close this thread if you are "out."

22 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Your topics always turn out to be a complete a waste of time, you either never return or update your thread with any sort of progress. You didnt both to answer any of my questions so that we could help and now are running away. Thanks for wasting our time, you might want to have a mod close this thread if you are "out."

No, you're right.

I'll return with better screenshots etc. later.

Right, I'm back at the computer in question.

The situation is:

• Their webhost e-mail address is enquiries@theirdomain.co.uk
  • (before I know them) They've explained their webhost webmail service is awful so they set up automatic forwarding to a Gmail account
  • They registered the Google account with the exact same e-mail address (so it's not an @gmail account; you login to Google with enquiries@theirdomain.co.co.uk)
  • Any e-mail sent to the e-mail address successfully gets forwarded from their webhost to Gmail
  • They used Gmail day-to-day (the website)
  • They want to use Outlook natively now, instead of using Gmail
  • I have set up Outlook to successfully receive and send e-mails. However, this only works from the current point in time. It did not import all old e-mails stored on the webhost's server
  • I figured I can import all the e-mails from the Gmail account into Outlook then delete the Gmail account
  • My plan was to add the Gmail account to Outlook, save the e-mails as a PST, delete that account from Outlook and import the PST into the current account, therefore combining the old e-mails and the current/news ones

So I go to:

Outlook 2016 > File > Account Settings > New (opens Add Account).

As soon as I enter that e-mail address and password, it doesn't connect to Gmail, it connects to the webhosts server, which is NOT what I want it to do.

That's why I assumed I needed custom server details.

However, I can't get that to connect.

Any ideas?

21 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

As I said, that is from MY account, not the one I'm trying to work with :)

55 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Right, I'm back at the computer in question.

The situation is:

• Their webhost e-mail address is enquiries@theirdomain.co.uk
  • (before I know them) They've explained their webhost webmail service is awful so they set up automatic forwarding to a Gmail account
  • They registered the Google account with the exact same e-mail address (so it's not an @gmail account; you login to Google with enquiries@theirdomain.co.co.uk)
  • Any e-mail sent to the e-mail address successfully gets forwarded from their webhost to Gmail
  • They used Gmail day-to-day (the website)
  • They want to use Outlook natively now, instead of using Gmail
  • I have set up Outlook to successfully receive and send e-mails. However, this only works from the current point in time. It did not import all old e-mails stored on the webhost's server
  • I figured I can import all the e-mails from the Gmail account into Outlook then delete the Gmail account
  • My plan was to add the Gmail account to Outlook, save the e-mails as a PST, delete that account from Outlook and import the PST into the current account, therefore combining the old e-mails and the current/news ones

So I go to:

Outlook 2016 > File > Account Settings > New (opens Add Account).

As soon as I enter that e-mail address and password, it doesn't connect to Gmail, it connects to the webhosts server, which is NOT what I want it to do.

That's why I assumed I needed custom server details.

However, I can't get that to connect.

Any ideas?

You need to create app password... which you have none right now... you need to create a generated password for Outlook. Not login password.  Understand?

Look at your screenshot you posted above. You will see what I meant.   You will need to go to App passwords section which is shown in your screenshot.

7 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

You need to create app password... which you have none right now... you need to create a generated password for Outlook. Not login password.  Understand?

Look at your screenshot you posted above. You will see what I meant.   You will need to go to App passwords section which is shown in your screenshot.

The top screenshot was showing my personal account. "App passwords" exists on mine.

The second account is enquiries@theirdomain.co.uk. "App passwords" is lierally no where to be seen on https://myaccount.google.com/security

Just now, Elliot B. said:

The top screenshot was showing my personal account. "App passwords" exists on  mine.

The second account is enquiries@theirdomain.co.uk. "App passwords" is missing.

Well, contact your mail host about it.  They will help you and walk you through.

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

Well, contact your mail host about it.  They will help you and walk you through.

I am helping a family member.

How can the mail host help with a missing Google Account option?