Red Dead Redemption 2 Discussion Thread

Forget about the Samsung Unpacked event...Gameplay trailer just dropped

• 1 month later...

Lots of new information over the last week or so

Rockstar revealed some of the towns across the game

• Valentine, The Heartlands (NH) - A raucous, rough-and-tumble town in the Heartlands, Valentine’s livestock auctions attract traders, ranchers, cowboys, gamblers, outlaws and prostitutes from far and wide, all looking to make some money, raise some hell, and have a good time.
  • Annesburg, Roanoke Ridge (NH) - Life isn’t easy for the miners and their families in Annesburg, which has been providing coal up and down the Lannahechee River for almost a century. Working conditions are terrible for little pay, and many men have lost their lives down the pit.
  • Saint Denis, Bayou NWA (NH) - A key gateway into North America with a trade route that runs the length of the country, the bustling city of Saint Denis is a melting pot of cultures and people where businessmen, socialites, sailors, laborers, beggars and thieves all live side by side.
  • Mount Hagen, Grizzlies (NH) - One of the more well-known peaks in the snowy Grizzlies of Ambarino, Mount Hagen towers above Lake Isabella to the west and Beartooth Beck to the east, which provides the main pass through the western mountain range and joins up with the Dakota River further south.
  • Rhodes, Scarlett Meadows (NH) - Prim and proper on the surface, tensions and corruption run deep in the Southern town of Rhodes, which for years has been caught in the crossfire between the Braithwaites and the Grays, two warring plantation families.
  • Strawberry, Big Valley (NH) - Strawberry was little more than a small logging town until the arrival of its new mayor, an East Coast eccentric, who is obsessed with transforming it into a cultural beacon for wealthy tourists, much to the bemusement of the locals.
  • Lagras, Bayou NWA (LE) - A small, remote settlement out in the swamps of Bayou Nwa, Lemoyne, the people of Lagras live self-sufficiently for the most part, making a little money here and there from fishing and acting as guides for travelers wishing to navigate the region.

There's a bunch of images on Rockstar's site, but I'm unable to get a copy of them to add here :( 

Source

And of course the recent announcement about the online portion

Today we’re excited to announce Red Dead Online, a new online connected experience set against the backdrop of Red Dead Redemption 2's enormous open world.

Red Dead Online is an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption, blending narrative with competitive and cooperative gameplay in fun new ways. Using the gameplay of the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 as a foundation, Red Dead Online will be ready to be explored alone or with friends, and will also feature constant updates and adjustments to grow and evolve this experience for all players.

Red Dead Online is planned for launch in November 2018, initially as a public beta, with more news to come soon. As with most online experiences of this size and scale, there will inevitably be some turbulence at launch. We look forward to working with our amazing and dedicated community to share ideas, help us fix teething problems and work with us to develop Red Dead Online into something really fun and innovative.

Access to Red Dead Online is free to anyone with a copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 26, 2018.

For more information about Red Dead Online, check out IGN's Q&A here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/19/red-dead-online-devs-reveal-first-details.

I've never really been a fan of the the MP portion of GTA, and I've sank a number of hours into GTA's single player mode. 

I haven't pre-ordered a game in a very long time, but I may have to!

• 4 weeks later...

Achievement/Trophy list has leaked. I've hidden the list, because as you can imagine there may be spoilers

• Spoiler

• Legend of the West (Platinum) - Become a Legend of the West
    • Back in the Mud (Bronze) - Complete Chapter 1.
    • Just a Scratch (Bronze) - Complete 'Enter, Pursued by a Memory'.
    • To Greener Pastures (Bronze) - Complete Chapter 2.
    • Settling Feuds (Bronze) - Complete Chapter 3.
    • Washed Ashore (Bronze) - Complete Chapter 4.
    • No Traitors (Bronze) - Complete Chapter 5.
    • Third Time Lucky (Bronze) - Complete 'Goodbye, Dear Friend'.
    • Redemption (Silver) - Complete 'Red Dead Redemption'.
    • Cowboy Builder (Bronze) - Complete 'A New Jerusalem'.
    • Endless Summer' (Gold) - Complete the Epilogue.
    • Lending a Hand' (Silver) - Complete all optional Honor story missions.
    • Best in the West' (Gold) - Attain 100% completion.
    • Gold Rush' (Silver) - Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
    • Friends With Benefits (Bronze) - Complete a Companion Activity in each camp.
    • Hobby Horse (Bronze) - Play all mini games.
    • Breaking and Entering (Bronze) - Recover the stash from 4 homesteads.
    • Artificial Intelligence (Bronze) - Discover the fate of Marko Dragic.
    • Take From the Rich (Bronze) - Rob or loot $250.
    • Give to the Poor (Bronze) - Donate $250 to the gang tithing box.
    • Pony Up (Bronze) - Spend $5000 across all shops.
    • Extreme Personality (Bronze) - Reach maximum or minimum Honor level.
    • Western Stranger (Bronze) - Complete 10 Stranger mission strands.
    • Bountiful (Bronze) - Survive 3 days holding a bounty of $250 in all states.
    • Collector's Item' (Silver) - Complete one of the Collectable strands.
    • Paying Respects (Bronze) - Find the graves of each of your fallen companions.
    • Errand Boy (Bronze) - Deliver 5 camp companion item requests.
    • It's Art (Bronze) -  Find a permanent home for the squirrel statue.
    • Self Sufficient (Bronze) - Craft 30 unique items in Story Mode.
    • Skin Deep (Bronze) - Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
    • Zoologist (Bronze) - Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.
    • It was THIS Big! (Bronze) - Catch a fish weighing at least 16 lbs (7.3 kg).
    • Locked and Loaded (Bronze) - Upgrade each available component for a single sidearm or longarm weapon.
    • Grin and Bear it (Bronze) - Survive 18 bear attacks and kill the bear each time in Story Mode.
    • Trusty Steed (Bronze) - Reach max bonding level with a horse.
    • Breakout (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Complete the Intro.
    • Series Major (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Take part in a Series.
    • Gun For Hire (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Accept 10 Free Roam missions from characters around the world.
    • Eventful (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Play 5 Free Roam Events.
    • Buckle Up (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Achieve 5 gold belt buckles from awards.
    • The Real Deal (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Achieve MVP 3 times (in a round with at least 4 players).
    • Horses for Courses (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Concurrently own 5 horses.
    • Getting Started (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Reach Rank 10.
    • Notorious (Gold) - Red Dead Online: Reach Rank 50.
    • All's Fair (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Successfully counter a rival Posse's Free Roam mission.
    • Home Comforts (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Purchase 5 camp improvements.
    • Non-Regulation (Bronze) -Red Dead Online: Craft 25 pieces of ammunition.
    • Posse Up (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Form a Persistent Posse.
    • Master Craftsman (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Craft 20 items (excluding ammo).
    • Butchered (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Sell 20 items to the Butcher.
    • Picked to Perfection (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Pick 25 Herbs.
    • Strength in Numbers (Bronze) - Red Dead Online: Complete a Free Roam mission as part of a Posse with at least 2 members.

Source

A few new details have emerged from an interview with Vulture.

• 700 voice actors
  • SP has around 60 hours of content

This game is going to be massive and one that I'm very much looking forward to.

Source

I just bit the bullet this morning and pre-ordered it for my Xbox. First physical game that I've bought in a few years!

Reviews are starting to come and it's looking like a great game so far

Should have my copy tomorrow so looking forward to sinking some hours in this weekend.

10 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I got mine preordered. I  got the $70 one so not the more expensive.  Will probably put Assassin's Creed Odyssey on hold for a while.

I made the mistake of making plans to see friends.....won't be able to touch it until Saturday morning. Unless of course it happens to be delivered today lol

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

I made the mistake of making plans to see friends.....won't be able to touch it until Saturday morning. Unless of course it happens to be delivered today lol

Gamestop near my work (I live 50min from work) where I preorded is starting tonight at 9pm.  I will be home so will pick it up during lunch tomorrow and play tomorrow night probably.  Kinda sucks several good games are coming out around the same time.  Still playing AC:O and think that is the best AC so far from the series.  Having fun playing AC and have not really dented the story line.

Been playing a little.  So far, so good.  Issues downloading one of the preorder addons tho.  Says I need to buy it when the code was successful .  MS support blows.  Typical script readers.  Wants me to delete my profile from my XBOX to see if that will fix the issue.  I cannot download/access the addon from my PC either so not sure how deleting my xbox profile will help.  The other preoder downloaded and installed fine. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 4:36 AM, techbeck said:

Been playing a little.  So far, so good.  Issues downloading one of the preorder addons tho.  Says I need to buy it when the code was successful .  MS support blows.  Typical script readers.  Wants me to delete my profile from my XBOX to see if that will fix the issue.  I cannot download/access the addon from my PC either so not sure how deleting my xbox profile will help.  The other preoder downloaded and installed fine. 

Yeah I had an issue with my pre-order bonus too. I tried it but have given up for now. Glad I didn't pay extra for it. 

What do you think of the game so far?

My initial thoughts....it's slow. I don't know what I had in my head that this game was going to be a Wild West version of GTA, and whilst it clearly shares a lot with GTA, it's not. I wasn't a big fan of the, what I thought tedious, opening section. For me it was to prescriptive of what happened. After you get through the initial mission(s) and the game opens up, it's way more fun. There's so much to do beside the main story missions. There's lots of quests that pop up when you're riding around, which mean that your constantly being distracted. I'm playing on my One S and it looks beautiful on that, so can't imagine how great it looks on the Pro and One X. I've just started Chapter 3, there are 5 in total and I've barely scratched the surface. 

One, fairly large, aspect of the game that I'm not a big fan of is the RPG elements. You need to make sure that the character is sleeping/eating to make sure that the stamina/Dead Eye etc are all kept topped up and it's the same with the horse. It can be a bit of a pain when you're in the middle of a firefight and need to eat/smoke/drink something to restore Dead Eye. 

So far though. I absolutely love this game. 

On 10/25/2018 at 7:26 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Reviews are starting to come and it's looking like a great game so far

Should have my copy tomorrow so looking forward to sinking some hours in this weekend.

Pretty sure it's going to be a good game but reviews of triple A titles like that really mean squat. Tripple A from big publishers always get 9+ from big publications unless they are extremely buggy and almost unplayable.

I can already tell you that Halo 8 and Uncharted 8 will be rated 9+ from big publications like Gamespot and IGN even if the development of those games have not started yet ;)

1 minute ago, LaP said:

Pretty sure it's going to be a good game but reviews of triple A titles like that really mean squat. Tripple A from big publishers always get 9+ from big publications unless they are extremely buggy and almost unplayable.

I can already tell you that Halo 8 and Uncharted 8 will be rated 9+ from big publications like Gamespot and IGN even if the development of those games have not started yet ;)

That's a fair point. I guess it's why some sites are doing away with a scoring system and instead just review a game. 

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah I had an issue with my pre-order bonus too. I tried it but have given up for now. Glad I didn't pay extra for it. 

What do you think of the game so far?

My initial thoughts....it's slow. I don't know what I had in my head that this game was going to be a Wild West version of GTA, and whilst it clearly shares a lot with GTA, it's not. I wasn't a big fan of the, what I thought tedious, opening section. For me it was to prescriptive of what happened. After you get through the initial mission(s) and the game opens up, it's way more fun. There's so much to do beside the main story missions. There's lots of quests that pop up when you're riding around, which mean that your constantly being distracted. I'm playing on my One S and it looks beautiful on that, so can't imagine how great it looks on the Pro and One X. I've just started Chapter 3, there are 5 in total and I've barely scratched the surface. 

One, fairly large, aspect of the game that I'm not a big fan of is the RPG elements. You need to make sure that the character is sleeping/eating to make sure that the stamina/Dead Eye etc are all kept topped up and it's the same with the horse. It can be a bit of a pain when you're in the middle of a firefight and need to eat/smoke/drink something to restore Dead Eye. 

So far though. I absolutely love this game. 

It has gotten better.  I am still at the 2nd camp site as I normally take my time with games like this.  What I find to be a PITA is hunting.  I never liked grinding but need to do so in order to upgrade things.  Need perfect pelts.  And perfect pelts can be a PITA to find or animals in general.  The map shows you where certain animals are, but I find more often than not, they are not there.  There are however deer all over the damn place.  But if I try to find an Elk, Buck, Ox, or a few others, it is hard to track down.  I probably am not doing something right as I have not tried laying out bait, yet.  It is also annoying as hell when you save a game and reload it, you are not at the same place.  And when you make camp, it puts you way off the trail and sometimes in a spot you have to be careful to climb down from.  I don't use dead eye much.  Mainly because I forget it is there and I normally take cover in fights. 

But over all, I am enjoying the game. 

14 hours ago, techbeck said:

It has gotten better.  I am still at the 2nd camp site as I normally take my time with games like this.  What I find to be a PITA is hunting.  I never liked grinding but need to do so in order to upgrade things.  Need perfect pelts.  And perfect pelts can be a PITA to find or animals in general.  The map shows you where certain animals are, but I find more often than not, they are not there.  There are however deer all over the damn place.  But if I try to find an Elk, Buck, Ox, or a few others, it is hard to track down.  I probably am not doing something right as I have not tried laying out bait, yet.  It is also annoying as hell when you save a game and reload it, you are not at the same place.  And when you make camp, it puts you way off the trail and sometimes in a spot you have to be careful to climb down from.  I don't use dead eye much.  Mainly because I forget it is there and I normally take cover in fights. 

But over all, I am enjoying the game. 

Yeah I read up on crafting and thought that I'd give it a go later for exactly those reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting is getting a little easier.  Best to have a sniper rifle to hunt with IMO.  Can kill most medium/big game with it and still get perfect pelts.  Smaller game tho, need to use smaller ammo to hunt/kill.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Hunting is getting a little easier.  Best to have a sniper rifle to hunt with IMO.  Can kill most medium/big game with it and still get perfect pelts.  Smaller game tho, need to use smaller ammo to hunt/kill.

I still haven't even touched that bit yet! How far along with the main missions are you? I think I'm about half way through Chapter 4. It's really easy to get distracted by strangers and side quests. I need to see how much time I've poured into the game so far. This one is going to keep me busy for a while yet.

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

I still haven't even touched that bit yet! How far along with the main missions are you? I think I'm about half way through Chapter 4. It's really easy to get distracted by strangers and side quests. I need to see how much time I've poured into the game so far. This one is going to keep me busy for a while yet.

Chapter 4?  That is when you are playing both sides in Rhodes I believe.  I am just past that quest/area and to the next came site after.  Been playing since the release date and have been taking my time.  Why I am hunting and suck to upgrade my equipment/capabilities.

I take my time with games like this.  After RDR2, I need to go back and play AC:O.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Chapter 4?  That is when you are playing both sides in Rhodes I believe.  I am just past that quest/area and to the next came site after.  Been playing since the release date and have been taking my time.  Why I am hunting and suck to upgrade my equipment/capabilities.

I take my time with games like this.  After RDR2, I need to go back and play AC:O.

Just after, it's in Saint Denis. We're about the same way through. Yeah it's definitely a game to take your time with and appreciate the entire game world.

12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just after, it's in Saint Denis. We're about the same way through. Yeah it's definitely a game to take your time with and appreciate the entire game world.

Yea, same area.  I just picked up the black Arabian Horse.  Already have the White one.  So just doing side quests and collection cash to upgrade things right now and to make the camp better.

Just now, techbeck said:

Yea, same area.  I just picked up the black Arabian Horse.  Already have the White one.  So just doing side quests and collection cash to upgrade things right now and to make the camp better.

Think you'll be playing the MP? I tried to get into the GTA MP, but it just didn't work for me. I may try again with this game

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Think you'll be playing the MP? I tried to get into the GTA MP, but it just didn't work for me. I may try again with this game

MP...depends.  If I actually new people who liked to play the same games as I do, thne co-op would be fine.  I do not do PvP at all or deal with random people/pugs. 

• Like 1

As if by magic - Rockstar are opening up the multiplayer beta tomorrow. It'll be a staged rollout to prevent the server meltdown that happend when GTA: Online went live. 

Those who purchased the “ultimate edition” of the game will have access to the Red Dead Online beta starting on Tuesday, November 27th, and on Wednesday, it will open up to anyone who played Red Dead Redemption 2 when it launched on October 26th. On Thursday, anyone who played the game between October 26th and 29th can access the beta, and it will finally open up to everyone on Friday, November 30th. 

Source

I'll have to wait until Thurs to play, if I have the chance to play, I'll post my thoughts here!