Gigabit Router Network Help

no 8mb/sec would be 8mega bits per sec.. 8MB would be Bytes and then yes that would roughly be 64mbits/sec..

Your screenshot show 3mbps, so that is well below the 16mbps your iperf test shows your capable of doing.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

no 8mb/sec would be 8mega bits per sec.. 8MB would be Bytes and then yes that would roughly be 64mbits/sec..

Your screenshot show 3mbps, so that is well below the 16mbps your iperf test shows your capable of doing.

So beside my ######ed up network, theres something wrong software side too? hahahaha im dooomed!

Not exactly sure what software your using.. Maybe it only needs 3mbps to do whatever it is your doing??  When I get home I will stream some video and look to see what bandwidth its using..   I have some 1080p home movie stuff that I believe I recorded with like 23Mbps bit rate..

And I don't have any issues streaming that.. I will have to double check what its bit rate is.. That I can check remotely.  BRB

43 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Not exactly sure what software your using.. Maybe it only needs 3mbps to do whatever it is your doing??  When I get home I will stream some video and look to see what bandwidth its using..   I have some 1080p home movie stuff that I believe I recorded with like 23Mbps bit rate..

And I don't have any issues streaming that.. I will have to double check what its bit rate is.. That I can check remotely.  BRB

Ordered an anker usb3.0 gigabit adapter, im willing to drop a cord outside the house and nail it to the wall, need gigabiiiitttttttzzz 

9 minutes ago, Ruti said:

outside the house and nail it to the wall

Normally putting a nail through your ethernet cable is not conducive to good speeds ;)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Normally putting a nail through your ethernet cable is not conducive to good speeds ;)

More than 3mbps should be enough for me xD

Think i found the source of the problem, the room where the Gaming PC is located, is part of a different circuit. -_- will need to drop a cable anyways.

while that can be hit.. Mine was across 2 circutis..  With how many you have its a given your going to be on different circuits.  Really easy to tell, are the rooms you connect to on the same power breaker..

If you want gig, and soon to be 2.5 and 5gig.. Sure you could do 10 but its expensive..  The new standard is going to be more affordable I do believe..  Run a wire!!!

When you guys do the iperf, what are you actually pinging? 
PC > Router ?
PC > Modem ?
PC > Somewhere on the net? (speedtest.com?) ? 

Iperf tests are between 2 devices on the network.

One acts as the server

iperf3 -s

The other is the client

iperfs3 -c ipaddressornameofclient

So its

PC to PC

So you saw the 940mbps that test was from PC to my laptop that was plugged into wire.

2nd test was same pc that has gig connection, but the laptop was now plugged into a gig switch that was connected to network via a powerline adapters..

I even stated that in the post

PC - switch -  another switch - powerline adpt ----------- different power circuits --------------- powerline adpt --------- different switch ------ laptop

So thought it was pretty clear to how the test was being done...

Sure you could run iperf on the internet somewhere and test to that.. I do believe some people run some public ones.. Here I fired it up on one of my vps

hostoninternet.png

So you can see not really smoking my pipe here.. It's a LOWEND vps that cost me a whole 15$ a year.. Now if I bump up the number of streams I can hit my MAX bandwidth the vps has 50mbps.. While my internet download is 75-80.. But you can see there are some retrans when doing that..

streamsiperfinternet.png

We are not worried about what his internet connection is.. Its crap he already stated its only 5mbps.. If he just wants to test that then sure he could go to any speedtest site..  But this is a way to test speed of the local network.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

while that can be hit.. Mine was across 2 circutis..  With how many you have its a given your going to be on different circuits.  Really easy to tell, are the rooms you connect to on the same power breaker..

If you want gig, and soon to be 2.5 and 5gig.. Sure you could do 10 but its expensive..  The new standard is going to be more affordable I do believe..  Run a wire!!!

They are on different power breakers, that doesnt seem easy to fix ?.

Since the gigabit router is on its way, and i just have a bunch of cat 5 cables and ###### powerlines, Will need to find a place to buy Quality wiring, i live in Dominican Republic Quality hardware is uncommon and expensive. Cat e5 its alright? 

59 minutes ago, Anarkii said:

When you guys do the iperf, what are you actually pinging? 
PC > Router ?
PC > Modem ?
PC > Somewhere on the net? (speedtest.com?) ? 

Its The fastest, easiest way to test local Transfer speeds ive ever seen.

28 minutes ago, Ruti said:

They are on different power breakers, that doesnt seem easy to fix ?.

No that is not easy to change.. So lets see if that really is the issue.  Put 2 of your adapter in the same room so they are on the same circuit.. Then test.. What speeds to do you get now?

So like this

PC - powerline adpater wall plug #1 Room A ---- power ---- Room A plug #2 powerline adapter --- Laptop

Where Room A power on for wall outlets your going to use loose power when you turn off breaker.

Seed between these 2 should be the MAX your powerline adapters can do.. Also make sure no other powerline adapters are online.  Maybe there was other network traffic going on?  Now that would be your max possible speed test over these powerline adapters.

But yeah running wire is always going to be the FASTEST most stable connection you can have.. Sure cat 5e is fine, you do not need 6.. But if your going to run cable.. You might wan to go 6 just because price is not that much different any more.  And with the new 2.5 and 5mbps standards coming.  While 5 is suppose to work over some situations of 5e, am not not sure what those are exactly you might want to try and future proof with 6..   All depends on how hard it is to run a cable for you.  For me its bing bang zoom.. If I wanted to change out a cable form 5e to 6, just connect new cable to old one.. And pull it up into the attic...  Then pull it down into the room where it goes, etc..

I keep toying with running fiber from my computer room to the front of the house, currently its just ethernet 5e.. The fiber is not all that expensive, but you need the sfp's to connect to your switches ;)

While you might not be able to get quality networking equipment/supplies... You do have abundance of FINE Cigars and Rum ;) hehehe  I would be happy to ship you some good cable for some Cigars!!

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2016 at 8:11 AM, BudMan said:

No that is not easy to change.. So lets see if that really is the issue.  Put 2 of your adapter in the same room so they are on the same circuit.. Then test.. What speeds to do you get now?

So like this

PC - powerline adpater wall plug #1 Room A ---- power ---- Room A plug #2 powerline adapter --- Laptop

Where Room A power on for wall outlets your going to use loose power when you turn off breaker.

Seed between these 2 should be the MAX your powerline adapters can do.. Also make sure no other powerline adapters are online.  Maybe there was other network traffic going on?  Now that would be your max possible speed test over these powerline adapters.

But yeah running wire is always going to be the FASTEST most stable connection you can have.. Sure cat 5e is fine, you do not need 6.. But if your going to run cable.. You might wan to go 6 just because price is not that much different any more.  And with the new 2.5 and 5mbps standards coming.  While 5 is suppose to work over some situations of 5e, am not not sure what those are exactly you might want to try and future proof with 6..   All depends on how hard it is to run a cable for you.  For me its bing bang zoom.. If I wanted to change out a cable form 5e to 6, just connect new cable to old one.. And pull it up into the attic...  Then pull it down into the room where it goes, etc..

I keep toying with running fiber from my computer room to the front of the house, currently its just ethernet 5e.. The fiber is not all that expensive, but you need the sfp's to connect to your switches ;)

While you might not be able to get quality networking equipment/supplies... You do have abundance of FINE Cigars and Rum ;) hehehe  I would be happy to ship you some good cable for some Cigars!!

Found the issue with streaming with Steam in Home Streaming, its kinda Stupid that i bought all this stuff and the issue was a bug.

Streaming a game from steam in big picture mode made the slow decoding/ display happen even with gigabit. Streaming from normal steam makes up for a buttery smooth gameplay.

Thank you soo much for your help.