tcpip.sys causing BSOD in Windows 10 x64

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Also, just an FYI to anyone, Intel now provides a utility that will scan your computer and let you know if there are any updates available. Works on 99% of computers from my experience.

I tried that when I had 12.15.22.3 (dated 24/11/2015) installed from MSI's website.

The Intel utility didn't detect it's own NIC.

Driver Booster is the one that told me 12.15.23.7 (dated 04/08/2016) was available.

10 minutes ago, Kamran Mackey said:

You got the name of Malwarebytes all wrong xD It's actually Malwarebytes Anti-malware. :D

Thats what Google said it belongs to not me. I would say it has something to do with that torrent program too. The op probably got that suss file by using it. I wouldn't rely on any 3rd party program for drivers.

And that Intel util is as useless as you know what lol. It scanned this once, said there was a later version. Went to install the file it didnt apply to this system

2 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

I tried that when I had 12.15.22.3 (dated 24/11/2015) installed from MSI's website.

The Intel utility didn't detect it's own NIC.

Driver Booster is the one that told me 12.15.23.7 (dated 04/08/2016) was available.

When was the last time you used the Intel utility? It detects all my Intel NICs without a problem, though granted I don't use Ethernet. I use an Intel Wireless AC 7260 adapter. :)

5 minutes ago, Kamran Mackey said:

When was the last time you used the Intel utility? It detects all my Intel NICs without a problem, though granted I don't use Ethernet. I use an Intel Wireless AC 7260 adapter. :)

30 minutes ago.

eb_intelduu-1.png

Since removing MBAM 3 (which was released today), the BSODs appear to have stopped.

• Like 2

And Intel drivers arent exactly crash proof. Esp their network drivers. The only thing thats Intel on this is the onboard video.

Luckily windowsupdate installed a later version and they work. Intel's site isn't exactly the easiest place to find the right drivers

2 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

30 minutes ago.

eb_intelduu-1.png

Since removing MBAM 3 (which was released today), the BSODs appear to have stopped.

Yikes. I guess Intel's utility definitely has its faults. And that's good that the BSODs stopped though! :)

On 12/9/2016 at 0:56 AM, Circaflex said:

My advice would be to ditch that program. Too many times have I seen these "driver updater" programs cause all sorts of weird issues. Just continually check your motherboards website for new drivers. Realistically, the only drivers that require updates are graphics for bug fixes and optimizations. Most of your other drivers are fine using the OEM supplied until they provide updates, unless of course you experience BSOD's with their drivers. Just my 2 cents.

+1 only people to "believe" are the driver makers themselves or oem vendor.

also avoid the intel auto driver checker, with certain ages of boards it comes up blank, search on intel site for the specific model of network card, even on OEM boards. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting this for a while too, it's torrent clients that trigger it for me, luckily I dual boot with Ubuntu so I just use that instead, it actually seems to be quicker too.

Just now, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I've been getting this for a while too, it's torrent clients that trigger it for me, luckily I dual boot with Ubuntu so I just use that instead, it actually seems to be quicker too.

Yep, torrents for me, too.

But it's definitely an issue with MBAM.

Doesn't happen when it's uninstalled.

42 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Just raised a topic in their support forum, you could add to it if you like :)

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192565-possible-bsod-from-tcpipsys-due-to-malwarebytes-3/

Have you tried adding the software to the exceptions list in MWB3 yet to see if that will stop it until it's fixed? I'm at work so can't try this, seems like an obvious fix but hopefully it might work.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

doesnt most torrent clients try to adjust the TCPIP stack? Probably that triggering Malware bytes

cant remember exactly, aint torrented for eons.

Might try to see if a temp fix is just to quit MWB3 while using a torrent client then restart after it's done

On 12/20/2016 at 3:54 AM, Elliot B. said:

maybe i glossed over it, but how did you actually fix the BSODs? were you simply able to boot windows long enough to remove MBAM?

33 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

maybe i glossed over it, but how did you actually fix the BSODs? were you simply able to boot windows long enough to remove MBAM?

It only happened when uBittorrent was open.

So upon booting, I didn't open uBittorrent. I uninstalled MBAM and things were fine.

On 12/8/2016 at 7:39 PM, Elliot B. said:

I have an MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard.

The latest Intel network drivers MSI offer are 12.15.22.3 (dated 24/11/2015).

The latest ones available from Intel are 12.15.23.7 (dated 04/08/2016).

Both cause the same issue.

I've noticed things are fine until qBittorrent runs for a around one minute then it BSODs.

I have a different MSI motherboard, and with Realtek (not Intel) gigabit Ethernet drivers, and a different torrent client; however, I am also running the current version of Malwarebytes.  However, when both the torrent client AND MBAM are running, that is when the error pops up (when a torrent is about to finish), so it's NOT one OR the other, it is one AND the other (qBitTorrent is the client in question - specifically, the x64 version).

Im surprised no one has mentioned it, but try taking off your overclock. My system had been rock solid a 4.2Ghz (from 3.2Ghz stock) for 2.5 years. For the last 4 months I've been seeing TONS of BSOD's (including tcpip.sys) and tried everything. Finally I just returned my CPU to stock speeds and its been rock solid since. My temps were only about 55c.. sometimes up to 60c under load, but still unstable. 

Giving it another week or so to see how stable it stays, and then I might start clocking back up a little. 

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hum said:

can you replace the tcp.sys file ?

Maybe use the System Restore

10 times out of 10, tcp.sys is the symptom, not the source of the problem. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hum said:

can you replace the tcp.sys file ?

Maybe use the System Restore

That's the thing, there's nothing wrong with the file. It's the MBAM software.

On 12/8/2016 at 6:45 PM, Elliot B. said:

Oops, sorry.

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.4.

No AdGuard.

VEN_8086&DEV_15B8

never download drivers from motherboard manaufactured, your drivers are out of date

https://devid.drp.su/?dev=PCI\VEN_8086%26DEV_15B8&l=en

download the latest drivers from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapters-Connections-CD