How old were you when this happened?

I was 15. Seems I'm one of the younger types here. :p

On a related note, Facebook reminded me on Saturday that XP EoL'd 3 years ago. I still have all my "DIE XP, DIE" memes saved.

I remember when XP came out, and I remember when intel released the Pentium.  On the day the Pentium was released I was in my dad's car and the news on the radio was blasting intel because there (paraphrasing) "was a bug in the chip that would crash the whole system when it had to do computations  to the 7th decimal point" or something like that.

22 Years old (Started my computer repair business 2 years later)

I was working at an internet service provider doing tech support at the time.

33830650621_07f1ca685d.jpg

I remember back then, I paid $20 for a copy of RC1 so I could play with it and write instructions for our ISP support staff

• Like 2

Uhmmm... 6? :rofl:

I remember that we had a Windows ME computer around that time which was extremely slow and was mainly used for email and playing around with paint :p 

I was 15 at the time, I remember downloading Windows XP RC1 over 5 nights on dial-up internet.

After that I was disappointed Windows XP didn't work on my Pentium 2 @ 300mhz PC, the PC would simply switch off on the Windows XP boot screen, yet it would run Windows Me perfectly fine. 

That's still one of the most unusual PC problems i've ever had to this day, the RTM build also did that which really puzzled me back then. I seem to remember getting a DVD drive around a year later and finding my PC would switch off when playing a DVD. So i replaced the PSU and DVD playback worked fine, I then decided to try install Windows XP again, this time XP would boot and the PC didn't turn off.

I guess XP must have drawn more power at boot then Windows Me did, yet I remember been able to use Windows Me perfectly fine, even playing games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3.

A strange issue, however my first memory of Windows XP! What an improvement over Windows Me that was, PC's crashing every couple of hours was finally not normal.

I was working in a PC store, a small independent one, and I had that key memorised for our test installs. I was 21 years old at the time

Wow, 18. Time does fly. I had ME at the time. Did a clean install.

21. Totally remember that, and totally remember being ###### that they used Luna instead of Whistler.

I had turned 40 the previous month to RTW (July), and I was, in fact, running the last RC on my desktop of XP Professional.  I was also still an employee of Big Cable Company (though I would wind up leaving Big Cable one year later); 9/11 would be one month after XP's RTW; however, contrary to some memes, it was NOT a last-ditch attempt to keep Windows 2000 Professional in circulation.

9 hours ago, Steven P. said:

volumenlizenzkey.jpg

Windows XP was released to general availability on October 25, 2001 but the RTM happened at the end of August, after which it was leaked, and the infamous shot above happened.

But, how old were you when it leaked at the end of August (RTM was August 24, 2001)

I was 28!

21 y.o, here.

The XP release hit me right in the nuts. I loved it (lol) and i had to turn to neowin to make the new amazing OS looking the way I wanted.

• Like 2

11, still using Windows 95 system (IBM Aptiva, beige box) at the time too.

two years later got a P4 based system that came with XP on it, surprisingly Vista ran like a camp on that system compared to XP.

Then about 5 years after that built my first PC and loaded 7 on it the first chance I had.