How old were you when this happened?

On 4/10/2017 at 11:07 AM, Steven P. said:

But, how old were you when it leaked at the end of August (RTM was August 24, 2001)

21, but less than 2 months away from 22 years old.

Hell, i actually kinda remember that CD key a bit and that devils own name ;)

p.s. but i was likely on Windows 2k at that time as i think i waited a while before switching to XP and i remember complaining about it's ugly start menu to as even once i switched to XP i remember changing it's basic start menu back to the old way (sorta like Windows 2k's).

I was 32... Shortly before Windows XP went to RTM I had to buy a new PC and figured Windows ME would hold me over until XP came out. What a POS! Why there wasn't a class action lawsuit over Windows ME I will never know. Microsoft basically forced me to install an illegal copy of Windows 2000 and I didn't end up moving to Windows XP until SP2 came out like a lot of people.

18, 3 months before my 19th in Nov 2001.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:39 AM, oldtimefighter said:

Why there wasn't a class action lawsuit over Windows ME I will never know.

Probably because at the time of win ME, there weren't as many people all over the internet looking for a company to sue, a cause to defend or just a reason to complain

1 hour ago, Brys said:

Probably because at the time of win ME, there weren't as many people all over the internet looking for a company to sue, a cause to defend or just a reason to complain

No... Microsoft releasing a product that had no purpose, few real upgrades over the prior version, and was known to crash on a daily basis while charging for it is most certainly a very valid reason to complain and a candidate for a class action lawsuit (I am not lawyer).

Edited by oldtimefighter

25 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

No... Microsoft releasing a product that had no purpose, few real upgrades over the prior version, and was known to crash on a daily basis while charging for it is most certainly a very valid reason to complain and a candidate for a class action lawsuit (I am not lawyer).

I'm sure it is. I'm just saying nowadays you hear that about everything, but back then people were just like "well don't buy it then".

On 4/10/2017 at 9:07 AM, Steven P. said:

volumenlizenzkey.jpg

Windows XP was released to general availability on October 25, 2001 but the RTM happened at the end of August, after which it was leaked, and the infamous shot above happened.

But, how old were you when it leaked at the end of August (RTM was August 24, 2001)

I was 28!

OMG, i had that key code memorized! lol Flash back! Age 25

11 minutes ago, Brys said:

I'm sure it is. I'm just saying nowadays you hear that about everything, but back then people were just like "well don't buy it then".

I think when companies do wrong they should be held accountable and punished not just by educated consumers not buying their products.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, TAZMINATOR said:

So that was shortly after World Trade Center attack.   I remember WTC and OS articles.  I was at work on that day when WTC towers were hit.

I remember that morning vividly.  The world changed forever that day.

I was 7 at the time, so just starting 1st grade. My first computer, probably around the same time, was a Pentium III running (I think?) Windows 98.