Repurposing Old Hard Drives

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

Thread title changed

Ah, that changes everything. Ignore my previous suggestions and take 3 hard drives and attach them to a central ball bearing and start spinning them...

I would definitely use em for backups of data as that's nearly 4TB of space between all of those standard hard drives.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0FR8421 (price fluctuates a bit and at the moment is a bit high at $20.99 + $5.39 ship as usually you should be able to get it for no more than $20 total including shipping as i think i got mine for $15 total if i recall correctly but it's usually higher than $15 from what i noticed. if your not in a hurry i would just wait it out til price is right.) ; that's what i use for my external 3.5" (or 2.5") hard drives. i even got this 120mm fan sitting on the top of the hard drive when it's running for cooling... https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/usb-fans/products/coolerguys-120x120x25mm-1200rpm-usb-fan-with-grill ; which i just recently got as it's pretty much nearly completely silent (even when computer is off and it's pretty quiet in the room you can barely hear it and you got to be pretty close to hear it. but when computer is on you can't hear it unless your very close to it) and i sit the grill side on top of the hard drive so air can flow around it(since there is a small gap between fan and the hard drive from the grill) and it keeps the hard drives quite cool. but if you only connect a hard drive briefly to transfer some data and then remove it you probably ain't really got to worry about cooling much. but as i type this i got a 4TB Seagate (model = ST4000DM005) on it with the fan sitting on top blowing air down onto it with that fan and it's running @ 27c with a room temp of about 74-75f (so it's quite cool). even on my other older hard drives, which seem to run hotter than that drive, it lowers temps quite a bit as some of them are uncomfortable to the touch (not burning skin level but not really comfortable to hold) but with that fan blowing on them they are just a little warm.

with all of that said... while you already mentioned you use two 3TB hard drives for your data backup, which i assume means whatever data is on one drive you got a backup copy on the other, which should be pretty sure against data loss it would not be a bad idea to put the higher priority stuff (say family photo's or videos and the like) across those smaller drives so then you got three copies and the odds of losing data on all three at once seems very slim.

p.s. i just have 2TB/2TB/5TB (and a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for boot drive) for internal storage space now and use that docking station (the first link above) for my 250GB/400GB/1TB/4TB (and a handful of small 2.5" drives) hard drives.

Actually, I have 2 of these. Bought them when it was on sale ;)

Gave my Dad my second one.