Really bad luck with SSDs or is it something else?

Sorry I been kind of busy lately and have not had time to respond. The drive completely fails not seen in another pc, bios/uefi or from a usb enclosure. I finally got another RMA to send it back. I am going to change out the surge protect that computer is plugged into and then maybe the power supply just to be on the safe side. Luckily I have this system backing up to Onedrive so no data loss happened.

hmm its very odd, i still have an OCZ Vertex III in my old X201 laptop and its still 100% health, its around 5 or 6 years old.

All my other SSDS in RAID0 striped on games rig are also perfect health. 2x 123gb Samsung Evo 840s (windows & apps), and 4x 256Evo 850s (2 separate 512Gb vols in RAID0 striped for my games)

then again on both machines i have hibernate disabled, never had success with it, and with the time either machine takes to boot up from cold boot, i see no major benefit in hibernation.

1 minute ago, hagjohn said:

I agree with others about power issues, etc... Your OS isn't defragging the SSD's is it?

W10 only invokes TRIM on SSDs mate (in disk defrag). (ofc thats IF it detects it as SSD) even when they are set up in RAID, it still knows they are Solid state.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3fc4c65787ef9664d12b19cb3a2437d7.jpg

Wow, what are you doing to them?

If that was a common problem, I'm sure people wouldn't even be using SSDs.

Ive had 3 laptops with SSDs now, and each one has been running 24/7 for many many years, other than my new one obviously, lol, but it will be as I use my computers steady, and theyre never turned off.

Its actually my wife's computer. All she uses it for is email and browsing the web for the most part. No gaming or anything that is intense. The systems are generally left on all the time and rebooted every other day.

3 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

Its actually my wife's computer. All she uses it for is email and browsing the web for the most part. No gaming or anything that is intense. The systems are generally left on all the time and rebooted every other day.

on the machine, in device manager, what does Windows reckon they are? SCSI disks or ATA? SCSI normally means windows is not seeing it as an SSD so guesses its SCSI, in this scenario it could be doign what HagJohn mentioned.

What brand power supply?

Buy a decent UPS and if the PSU is a cheap brand, swap it for something like an EVGA, Seasonic or Corsair. Even quality PSUs can fail, just less chance of it.

Have you checked the voltage at the outlet with a multimeter? One of the benefits of a UPS is that they include an application showing  you information about when its intervened and why. Mine also shows the current voltage from the outlet and how much load is on the UPS.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842301669

Edited by slamfire92

I think it could be the cheaper ssds. I have a whole bunch or crucial drives and some of them from  one batch have been dying > There are skhynix ssds in the dells we have and they have a habbit of getting corrupt with dell saying its not there problem. 

Any of the Intel or Samsung drives I have havent had any problems. running fine for the past 2 years. I say try samsung or intel next.

As others have said ... my vote would be on the PSU causing the very high number of SSD failures...might be shorting the vrms.

2 hours ago, Mando said:

W10 only invokes TRIM on SSDs mate (in disk defrag). (ofc thats IF it detects it as SSD) even when they are set up in RAID, it still knows they are Solid state.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.3fc4c65787ef9664d12b19cb3a2437d7.jpg

Windows 10 should but that's not necessarily what they are set too. It's just something else to rule out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have not posted to this thread in a while but I have more to add to this now. So I have changed out the surge protector and power supply to the computer and the SSD still got fried again. What do you all suggest at this point? I was thinking of moving the computer to use another power outlet and have an electrician take a look at the power outlet to see what could be going on.

19 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

Sorry I have not posted to this thread in a while but I have more to add to this now. So I have changed out the surge protector and power supply to the computer and the SSD still got fried again. What do you all suggest at this point? I was thinking of moving the computer to use another power outlet and have an electrician take a look at the power outlet to see what could be going on.

Surge protectors will likely not help if the outlet is not wired properly.

Most good surge protectors have two status lights. One to tell you if the outlet is properly grounded and another one to tell you if the outlet is properly wired. If one of the 2 lights is not on then the surge protector will likely fail to protect what is plugged in to it. Some surge protectors will have a not grounded red light instead of a grounded green light in which case the red light must not be on.

1200px-Whole_House_Surge_Protector.jpg

On 5/23/2017 at 3:15 PM, BoondockSaint said:

When you say the drives are failing - how? Boot failure, bad sectors, corrupt data, PC doesn't see the drive?

How old is your house ?

SSDs don't die like this.  And in the time this thread was started, another one has died ?!?!

Whatever the problem is, its not a string of bad SSDs (even though you have bought some of the cheaper ones) - the odds of that many SSDs being bad are remote, to say the least.

1 minute ago, Gotenks98 said:

Just to rule out more stuff I want to try new Sata cables as well. Any recommendations on Sata cables?

SATA cables only send data - bad data will not KILL numerous SSDs making them unreadable in other computers. 

However - just grab ANY SATA3 cable - from amazon or monoprice.

It makes no sense that a faulty outlet would be killing only SSDs in your PC. The PSU is allocating power to the components and should have protections in place to prevent this sort of thing. 

You have a board problem, IMO.

• Like 2

Did you swap one crappy PSU out with another crappy PSU?  Really, if your SSD's are dying regularly ... it has (well high probability) to be from the power supply.  I doubt the voltage from the wall would be doing this ... as the PSU should "clean it up" (like slamfire92 stated ... have protections in place). 

37 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

It makes no sense that a faulty outlet would be killing only SSDs in your PC. The PSU is allocating power to the components and should have protections in place to prevent this sort of thing. 

You have a board problem, IMO.

The board and power supply have both been changed. There was one instance that I caught it on screen where it stated something about a power spike. This was like 2 SSD's ago. I did not think much of it because we were in the middle of thunderstorm at the time. A week later is when that SSD died.

14 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

The board and power supply have both been changed. There was one instance that I caught it on screen where it stated something about a power spike. This was like 2 SSD's ago. I did not think much of it because we were in the middle of thunderstorm at the time. A week later is when that SSD died.

Are you having problems with other electronics in the house? Do you have another PC? If it's not having problems, move the problem child to that location and see if the problem resolves. Then at least you know you do have a power problem. 

I still don't get how household power issues could be affecting just SSDs in one PC?

On 6/4/2017 at 4:53 AM, hagjohn said:

Windows 10 should but that's not necessarily what they are set too. It's just something else to rule out.

Funny my windows 10 defrag says optimization not available for my SSD's  

How is it that the SSDs get fried but nothing else does? That motherboard should be toast!

Also, SSDs use very little power, so I'd think the motherboard and CPU would fry first.

Edited by AngelGraves13

And just to reiterate what others have said, and to repeat what I said earlier:

What brand PSU did you use, and are using ?
It is either a bad mobo, or a bad PSU.

Normally, when people have crappy PSUs, they wont mention the brand.  Conversely, when people have a good one, they always mention the name so others know its "safe" to look elsewhere when troubleshooting.

If you have gone cheap on the PSU, and I think you might have since you kept going cheap on the SSDs - now is a great time to get a good one regardless if it is the issue @ hand. 

• Like 2