Turn on a PC with USB Keyboard or Mouse

hi

i know i can turn on a desktop with a ps2 keyboard

but could be turned on a pc with an usb wireless keyboard or usb mouse wired?

in the bios i have enabled to wake up via usb , i plugged a mouse but it does turn on the pc

on the keyboard and mouse , device manager , i have enabled  let wake up the machine

my questions ?

1) can i turn on my desktop with a usb keyboard?

2) is there a cheap ps2 switch that can emulate a ps2 keyboard key stroked ?

thanks

english is not my native language so sorry for my poor english

Edited by Jason S.
thread title changed for accuracy

Some USB keyboards still have the PS2 type power/sleep buttons on them, and I'm sure modern BIOSes support it. I'm not sure it works with wireless mice and keyboards though.

EDIT: You may need to use an always powered USB port, as most USB ports turn off when the PC is in sleep. If your motherboard has an always on USB port that can be used for phone charging, use that port. If that doesn't work the keyboard will need to be one that has specific sleep/wake/power buttons on it.

Edited by Tidosho

39 minutes ago, drugo said:

hi

i know i can turn on a desktop with a ps2 keyboard

but could be turned on a pc with an usb wireless keyboard or usb mouse wired?

in the bios i have enabled to wake up via usb , i plugged a mouse but it does turn on the pc

on the keyboard and mouse , device manager , i have enabled  let wake up the machine

my questions ?

1) can i turn on my desktop with a usb keyboard?

2) is there a cheap ps2 switch that can emulate a ps2 keyboard key stroked ?

thanks

english is not my native language so sorry for my poor english

As opposed to turning it on, just put it to sleep - USB keyboards (and mice) will wake a PC just fine (unless the BIOS or UEFI equivalent has a bug that affects that - early ASUS UEFI firmware did have such a bug that specifically affected USB keyboards; a similar bug affected MSI (and MSI partner HP) notebooks - both have since been fixed with updates).  I have an MSI H81M-E33 motherboard that has a USB keyboard that wakes fine by simply pressing the spacebar - it has a USB mouse as well - simply moving it (ball-type - not laser) will wake it as an alternative.  Some pre-UEFI chipsets have indeed had issues with sleep; I've pounded Intel's G3x (Bear Lake) and G4x (Eagle Lake) CSM chipsets over the issue - the hybridized not-quite-shutdown that is included with Windows 8 and later was developed specifically to address those flaws.

13 hours ago, Tidosho said:

Some USB keyboards still have the PS2 type power/sleep buttons on them, and I'm sure modern BIOSes support it. I'm not sure it works with wireless mice and keyboards though.

EDIT: You may need to use an always powered USB port, as most USB ports turn off when the PC is in sleep. If your motherboard has an always on USB port that can be used for phone charging, use that port. If that doesn't work the keyboard will need to be one that has specific sleep/wake/power buttons on it.

12 hours ago, PGHammer said:

As opposed to turning it on, just put it to sleep - USB keyboards (and mice) will wake a PC just fine (unless the BIOS or UEFI equivalent has a bug that affects that - early ASUS UEFI firmware did have such a bug that specifically affected USB keyboards; a similar bug affected MSI (and MSI partner HP) notebooks - both have since been fixed with updates).  I have an MSI H81M-E33 motherboard that has a USB keyboard that wakes fine by simply pressing the spacebar - it has a USB mouse as well - simply moving it (ball-type - not laser) will wake it as an alternative.  Some pre-UEFI chipsets have indeed had issues with sleep; I've pounded Intel's G3x (Bear Lake) and G4x (Eagle Lake) CSM chipsets over the issue - the hybridized not-quite-shutdown that is included with Windows 8 and later was developed specifically to address those flaws.

hi

thanks

but do they work on cold boot? i mean power off - power on and turn on the pc with keyboard or mice?

i'm thinking to use my router & my smartphone to turn on my pc, should turn on ,(cold start)

thanks

On 8/17/2017 at 1:47 AM, drugo said:

hi

thanks

but do they work on cold boot? i mean power off - power on and turn on the pc with keyboard or mice?

i'm thinking to use my router & my smartphone to turn on my pc, should turn on ,(cold start)

thanks

If you want to use WakeOnLAN, you must turn it on in the UEFI or BIOS settings (it is a specific setting) - that is an OLD setting (ASUS motherboards and portables (both laptops and notebooks) have supported it since 2000 - and the settings have been retained since.).

11 hours ago, PGHammer said:

If you want to use WakeOnLAN, you must turn it on in the UEFI or BIOS settings (it is a specific setting) - that is an OLD setting (ASUS motherboards and portables (both laptops and notebooks) have supported it since 2000 - and the settings have been retained since.).

hi PGHammer

yes but after a while ,i haven't could ,let's say 1 hour , wake via lan doesn't work anymore

i guess pc turn off the nic

and yes it's enabled in the bios

by the way i have tried to wake up my pc with wireless keyboard/mouse and wired mouse without luck

i'm starting to think there are some jump to change

this happen with the lastest bios update , in many asus motherboard , in the bios updates changelog or bug fixed or new feature there is nothing

in the past i had more option under APM

PGHammer have you tried to wake up your machine with a smartphone or keyboard after a while (let's say after 1 or more hours) with an asus motherboard ?

thanks @PGHammer