Brand New Intel I7 7700 Based PC--Concerned on Temps

Hi All

Speccy showed my Motherboard temp as 118C,  little concerning,  CPU temp with one Game open Secondlife averaging around 44C to 52C,   Just got this G11CD system today so making sure I have no issue,  Prevously was AMD Processor user for years, so Intel Temps are new to me really.   Bios shows 38C to 44C for CPU, maybe normal, don't know lol.    

SSD Temp is normal, and Hard drive

Probably a bad/misread sensor.  118C is almost 250F ... so yea ... it isn't an accurate reading (either by fault of the software or motherboard).  Have you tried HWInfo?

• Like 1

Well checked the Motherboards fan control, temp utlity, and that one only showed CPU temp at 52C with one Game open

little maintenance to do tonight, Trim for the SSD, Optimization for the Hard drive later on, and such, may leave on tonight, not sure yet on that part, If I do leave on, then I may use Remote Desktop from Phone and do the rest of the tasks from that later on lol, but will make sure phone connects properly before I get ready to sleep lol

• Like 1

It's a combination of lousy stock cooler and poor thermal solution between the die and the heat spreader.

Honestly, this is pathetic.

AMD manages to solder the heat spreader and includes a $35 cooler right in the box, meanwhile Intel (which is 15 times the size of AMD) doesn't.

Intel stock cooler (left) and AMD Wraith Spire (right)

Image_13.jpg

Image_12.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

It's a combination of lousy stock cooler and poor thermal solution between the die and the heat spreader.

Honestly, this is pathetic.

AMD manages to solder the heat spreader and includes a $35 cooler right in the box, meanwhile Intel (which is 15 times the size of AMD) doesn't.

In this case, it sounds like this was a software error reading the sensor properly.

Well Think it's just software error reading the sensor wrong, haven't have any shutdowns or other weird things.     So think otherwise things are going great,  In the future might have local shop upgrade the CPU cooler to another air version that isn't stock if I need to.      Otherwise I'm happy with it, as it performs excellently,   Tomorrow gonna test it on other games, and see how it performs, I expect pretty good in comparsion to my old AMD FX 8310, and R7 240 video card performance.

Does Intel Fans increase speed if Machine does get hotter, or do I have to adjust before gaming in Asus Utlity software

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

In this case, it sounds like this was a software error reading the sensor properly.

Not so sure about that.

I have had Intel processor on stock cooler hitting 110-115.

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Not so sure about that.

I have had Intel processor on stock cooler hitting 110-115.

Right. Well in this case Speccy was either reading the wrong sensor or misreading the value because the motherboard makers utility showed the correct temperature.

I know my AMD system used to, just not so sure on Intel yet lol,  Considering first time used an Intel based system since 2003, so i'm sure a lot has changed since then,  all my older systems were AMD based, Pre built and Custom built over the years

2 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

I know my AMD system used to, just not so sure on Intel yet lol,  Considering first time used an Intel based system since 2003, so i'm sure a lot has changed since then,  all my older systems were AMD based, Pre built and Custom built over the years

I am surprise you didn't upgrade to the Ryzen 7 1700/X.

That seems to be what people on the FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx are upgrading to.

I considered it, then in the end I decided since I haven't had a Intel based system in ages, I picked this Intel based one lol,  did Price out a Ryzen system--HP Omen, but was over budget a bit lol,  Don't think i'll regret my purchase, just have to get used to how Intel temps are, and how the cooling works, and all that, but with Fall weather coming, and Winter, it will cool off in the place to even more, so temps should be an issue really then haha.   

Was many months in deciding between one or the other.   

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Right. Well in this case Speccy was either reading the wrong sensor or misreading the value because the motherboard makers utility showed the correct temperature.

...also if his CPU were hitting 118C ... it would shut down (which I believe it will at TJunction ... or 100C?)

Just a bad reading ... either through software or mobo.  I wouldn't worry about it ... as long as it is stable and isn't bluescreening, rebooting, shutting down or frying eggs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

I considered it, then in the end I decided since I haven't had a Intel based system in ages, I picked this Intel based one lol,  did Price out a Ryzen system--HP Omen, but was over budget a bit lol,  Don't think i'll regret my purchase, just have to get used to how Intel temps are, and how the cooling works, and all that, but with Fall weather coming, and Winter, it will cool off in the place to even more, so temps should be an issue really then haha.   

Was many months in deciding between one or the other.   

I actually went the opposite way.

I had always had Intel and I wanted the Intel Core i7-6900K, but the $1049 price tag was just too hard to swallow.

When AMD released an equivalent for less than half the price, I had to jump on it.

Anyway, I build my own system, so that's a little difference.

Sometimes wish I could build my own, but I've tried in the past, and fried the old system years ago,  wasn't a good experience at all,   Learned  few things though, so that's one good thing, Nowadays I buy prebuilt, while may not be the best components inside those, at least it works well.    

Thank you all for the replies though more relaxed now than I was,  will finish rest of things up tomorrow I think, just minor hard drive optimization and little things to do still, but overall definitely plan on trying other games in the morning hours, and see how it handles those, One of the Games being Forza Apex racing game, and possibly some Battlefield 4

Temps with Secondlife Open.jpg

If the system you just bought is that Asus G11CD in your signature, you should go return it.

That system is NOT going to give you a good gaming experience esp. because of the Geforce GTX 1050.

That's a very mediocre video card.

Well probably better than my old R7 240 card with older system, i'll upgrade the video card probably down the line once funds allow, and upgrade the Power supply again once funds allow

Just now, bikeman25 said:

Well probably better than my old R7 240 card with older system, i'll upgrade the video card probably down the line once funds allow, and upgrade the Power supply again once funds allow

How much did you paid for the Asus G11CD?

1,249.00 with Tax and Service for 1 year thru Geek Squad,   All I could afford at the moment, older system couldn't hardly run nothing with the R7 240 card, and didn't look like I could've upgraded it, so will be happy with this system,  once funds allow i'll upgrade to a 1060 or 1070 card, and 550 watt or 600 watt Power Supply, but for now this will have to do, and so far it's performing well for the things I do. 

7 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

1,249.00 with Tax and Service for 1 year thru Geek Squad,   All I could afford at the moment, older system couldn't hardly run nothing with the R7 240 card, and didn't look like I could've upgraded it, so will be happy with this system,  once funds allow i'll upgrade to a 1060 or 1070 card, and 550 watt or 600 watt Power Supply, but for now this will have to do, and so far it's performing well for the things I do. 

That's a ripoff.

If you are just looking at pre-builds, you are better of with Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop.

You can get one with Radeon RX 580 or Geforce GTX 1060 for that price.

Yeah well the Dell one I looked at, supposedly possibly had liquid cooling, and I never used that, so passed on it,  Anyways i'll be happy with this one, was happy with older AMD FX 8310 and Radeon R7 til couldn't hardly run games really that well,  Secondlife isn't as laggy as before now, so will be fine where I am I think,  Spent all this time today setting up, so think will just stick with it, and use it, and enjoy it, and do other upgrades down the line as funds allow

1 minute ago, bikeman25 said:

Yeah well the Dell one I looked at, supposedly possibly had liquid cooling, and I never used that, so passed on it,  Anyways i'll be happy with this one, was happy with older AMD FX 8310 and Radeon R7 til couldn't hardly run games really that well,  Secondlife isn't as laggy as before now, so will be fine where I am I think,  Spent all this time today setting up, so think will just stick with it, and use it, and enjoy it, and do other upgrades down the line as funds allow

No. The Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop doesn't use liquid cooling (at least not these configurations).

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop

You have a 15-days return period on your Asus G11CD.

I would make good on that.

Geforce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 580 are over twice as fast as the Geforce GTX 1050.

Yeah I will think about it, and read on that Ryzen system more, and see what best to do on that matter.    Thank you so much for the replies though so appreciate it, guess the first ryzen I looked at was liquid cooler on there for $699 or something lol,  anyhow i'll look at it, read the reviews more, and decide what is best for me to do.   After I try out more games with this one and such, haven't really tried out too much yet today