Heat Warmer Desktop

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

"Just an idea" pretty much says that, but yes. I knew of the efficiency before I wrote this. Was just wondering if this was plausible. It looks not.

Plausible? I know you weren't being serious, but this is about the most ridiculous thought I've ever come across! :)

7 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Plausible? I know you weren't being serious, but this is about the most ridiculous thought I've ever come across! :)

Why my name is "mind".... :p

On 12/11/2017 at 10:50 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Wonder if I can get all the Mods on here... :rofl:

Trying to attract the Mod Squad?

2 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Trying to attract the Mod Squad?

Well, I got Steve and Jim on here. That's gotta count for something...

On 12/11/2017 at 11:39 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Why my name is "mind".... :p

We have had some fun here trying to figure out which older generation CPU and GPU is the most inefficient computer and therefore more efficient heat source.

But life is rarely all one thing or another and there is nothing at all wrong with making the association between computers and heat. Some of the comments have gone too far in disparaging the original post.

Anyone hanging out at the Hardware Forums on Neowin most likely does a whole multitude of something or other with computers. For me, I have about 6 older computers running various server activities on my home LAN and in the winter, the room they are in needs zero heating. I already have the computer space heater we have been discussing distributed across several servers. A Computing Cluster Space-Heater Function so to speak...

So realistically, anyone that has a real interest in computers could very well start with an older computer to provide heat and be rather certain it will be put to a computer task sooner or later. It sure beats a stupid slab of electric space heater that would at least need to have a Raspberry Pi attached to it to have any rightful place in my environment! 

Just say NO to burning electricity and getting nothing but heat out of the process! Give your old Digital Lifeforms a nice retirement home and a useful job in their old age.