UWP struggling to excite developers

15 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

That's kind of like saying Apple or Google should port their entire OS platform to Windows.  Uhh...ok?  Not going to happen?

No, what I'm alluding to is that there is no reason for a developer like myself to write a UWP app. There are however a lot of devs like myself that like the idea of Xamarin where you code 90% of your app and then target in the final 10% based on platform.

MS should have targeted this much sooner, that way developers would have an incentive to code UWP.

They are getting close to it though but probably too late. We have .Net Standard 2 as the base and XAML Standard is coming along. This will allow for instance WPF XAML to compile in Xamarin forms without change.

14 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I'm not going to lie. I didn't believe this at first, I figured you had made a mistake, but I went to the Netflix requirements webpage and sure enough, IE/Edge/App only for 1080 on Windows.

thats pretty out of order by Netflix IMO.

I currently use ZERO apps from the Windows Store.  What am I missing?

I've got plenty of software that I've been using for years.  So unless Win32 programs fail to run someday... I'll continue to use them.  :)

On 12/11/2017 at 7:36 AM, Steve121178 said:

Its corporate policy for most Enterprises to block the Windows Store so it won't get much Enterprise traction.  

Actually, we use it to allow only certain apps. You can also list your own in-house ones. 

14 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

I currently use ZERO apps from the Windows Store.  What am I missing?

I've got plenty of software that I've been using for years.  So unless Win32 programs fail to run someday... I'll continue to use them.  :)

Nothing really, use whatever you like.  That is rather the whole point of Windows.

I use almost nothing win32 anymore except web browsers and game distribution platforms, heh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

(I could mention battery life and general efficiency improvements of UWP apps over win32, but that's not going to be a concern to everyone.)

The amusing part is when users complain that UWP apps are missing features the desktop has. While this is in fact often the case many of those complaining never used those features anyway. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:51 AM, JR1966 said:

I am increasingly concerned for the future of the UWP platform. We all know of many developers that have abandoned UWP for Web Apps. Now one of India's largest developers has killed the UWP FlipKart in favor of the Web Wrapper. I found this on the Windows Latest site reported by Mayank Parmar.

So, where do we find ourselves as MS supporters? Does UWP survive after the demise of WM? Are Web Apps the future and what does that mean for MS?

With the recent death of Windows Mobile, UWA makes no sense anymore. Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot by abandoning mobile. Like I said in my status update, they're losers without their own mobile platform.

7 hours ago, JR1966 said:

The amusing part is when users complain that UWP apps are missing features the desktop has. While this is in fact often the case many of those complaining never used those features anyway. 

Its an evolving platform and the apps are evolving along with it.  Wasn't Skype removing the desktop app entirely for win10 users now?  Considering how crap their win32 apps updating process seemed to be this doesn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

With the recent death of Windows Mobile, UWA makes no sense anymore. Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot by abandoning mobile. Like I said in my status update, they're losers without their own mobile platform.

It might not make much sense for mobile but it still unifies their Xbox and PC platforms to some degree.

Mind you, even without multi platform support it's got plenty of benefits.  I wouldn't be surprised to see win32 development significantly lower in the next few years.

With Win10 and Xbox related stuff the conversation is very different every two years, so we'll just have to see what's going on at the tail of 2019.