Mother's Computer

7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

On a modern mobo, the "No RAM" beep can come from a system management chip before the BIOS is started and before the CPU is even powered up which is why unplugging all the RAM can be a darned useful test.

It appears as if the mobo is detecting a bad or insufficient power issue such as a short. Most likely a component has failed on the mobo, but as a final-final-final test, remove the mobo from case and place on a piece of cardboard after inspecting for small metallic objects getting wedged somewhere.

You're reading too much into it Dev, let it go. You're like the surgeon trying to desperately revive the dead patient who is now brain dead from too many heart attacks. Us techs can't save everyone. My customers and friends call me SuperGeek, I don't save every electronic patient though, no matter how much I want to.

It's OK to let go.....

1 minute ago, Tidosho said:

You're reading too much into it Dev, let it go. You're like the surgeon trying to desperately revive the dead patient who is now brain dead from too many heart attacks. Us techs can't save everyone. My customers and friends call me SuperGeek, I don't save every electronic patient though, no matter how much I want to.

It's OK to let go.....

Our friend, Mr. MindMaster actually seems to enjoy learning this stuff.

He is building another computer and so until that is complete, his mother will be SOL unless a miracle happens, so why not one or two final tests?

9 minutes ago, DevTech said:

He is building another computer and so until that is complete, his mother will be SOL unless a miracle happens, so why not one or two final tests?

He's done everything he can. CPU, RAM, PSU. The GPU is onboard, so it's obvious it's electrical on the board. @Mindovermaster, did you try a GPU PCI-E card? The only thing left I can think of.

@TidoshoThat won't help if I can't get to/past BIOS.

I now have it laying naked on a cardboard box. NOW, when I hit the 2 pins to turn it on, it turns on for 2 seconds and shuts off. I tried it with RAM in, no RAM, CMOS Reset, just nothing flat out works...

33 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Should've said Mr. MOM :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

@TidoshoThat won't help if I can't get to/past BIOS.

I now have it laying naked on a cardboard box. NOW, when I hit the 2 pins to turn it on, it turns on for 2 seconds and shuts off. I tried it with RAM in, no RAM, CMOS Reset, just nothing flat out works...

Should've said Mr. MOM :laugh:

Hey Mr. MOM, try unplugging all fans. The behavior is power up - detect bad power - power down. Nothing left to unplug but the CPU fan and inspect the 4 pin like crazy for a loose solder joint or something, otherwise shorted cap, blown power regulator in the VRM to the CPU - i.e it's so dead Jim and we all feel bad for MOM or Mom....

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Hey Mr. MOM, try unplugging all fans. The behavior is power up - detect bad power - power down. Nothing left to unplug but the CPU fan and inspect the 4 pin like crazy for a loose solder joint or something, otherwise shorted cap, blown power regulator in the VRM to the CPU - i.e it's so dead Jim and we all feel bad for MOM or Mom....

I had all the fans disconnected except the CPU fan eyons ago...

Dead Joe Joe... Joe Joe

Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho Dead Joe

Welcome to the car smash
Welcome to the car smash
Welcome to the car smash
A-a-a-a-a-smash
Dead Joe

Junk-Sculpture turning back to JUNK
Ju-ju-ju-ju-junk
Dead Joe
Oh Joe no-o-o-o-o-o! it's christmas time Joe
It's christmas time now for you
And all the little bells are hanging two-by-two
The holly and the nativity
Oh speak to me Joe speak to me Joe speak to me oh
Oh-oh-oh---oh--oh--oh--oh--oh--oh--oh
De-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e--e-e-e-ead Joe

Welcome to the car smash
Welcome to the car smash
Welcome to the car crash
You can't tell the girls from the boys anymore
Ho-Oh-Oh-OH-Oh-Oh---Oh--Oh--Oh---Oh---Oh---Oh
De-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e---e-e-e-e-ead Joe

/me plays the gong :D 

In all fairness, though, you've learned some advanced mainboard troubleshooting! :yes: And bad caps will fry boards in nothing flat (pun intended!). Ahh, those old Nvidia chipsets are dropping off like flies near a zapper. If all else checks out, blame the caps.

Replacing them is easy-peasy if you're an electronics buff. Seriously, it's easy. Lots of YouTube vids on Electronics Repair and getting started in that hobby. I fix all sorts of stuff myself, but I'm an up-and-coming Engineer, soo ... :p I'll be happy to walk you through getting up and running if you wanna try.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

/me plays the gong :D 

In all fairness, though, you've learned some advanced mainboard troubleshooting! :yes: And bad caps will fry boards in nothing flat (pun intended!). Ahh, those old Nvidia chipsets are dropping off like flies near a zapper. If all else checks out, blame the caps.

Replacing them is easy-peasy if you're an electronics buff. Seriously, it's easy. Lots of YouTube vids on Electronics Repair and getting started in that hobby. I fix all sorts of stuff myself, but I'm an up-and-coming Engineer, soo ... :p I'll be happy to walk you through getting up and running if you wanna try.

Yeah, yet I don't know WHAT is wrong. Just somewhere on the board, there is a fault.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, yet I don't know WHAT is wrong. Just somewhere on the board, there is a fault.

Yeah bud, it's those capacitors. Couple of them are clearly bad, a few others are suspect but likely bad. More trouble than it's worth at this point and you'll pay upwards of $30 getting the ones that need to be changed (or more). Nope ... you can get a replacement board that fits the CPU/RAM for that price or maybe a bit more. Don't even mess with it, you've got new hardware that you're moving her onto.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yeah bud, it's those capacitors. Couple of them are clearly bad, a few others are suspect but likely bad. More trouble than it's worth at this point and you'll pay upwards of $30 getting the ones that need to be changed (or more). Nope ... you can get a replacement board that fits the CPU/RAM for that price or maybe a bit more. Don't even mess with it, you've got new hardware that you're moving her onto.

Exactly.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and "If it ain't fixable, don't fix it."

• Like 2

This would be a great board to practice soldering on. 

A few weeks ago I had a dell system that wouldn't power on. No Video, the fans would spin but the light would go yellow on the front instead of green. After looking around inside the board I saw 4 visibility bad caps. I just so happen to have bought a 20 pack of caps for a motherboard repair a year ago and the ones that were bad matched these. So I removed the old and installed the new in about 20 mins. Plugged it in .. turned it on and PRESTO! Green light and the computer booted straight to windows 10.

24498421137_56e6fbfd9c_c.jpg

I know caps don't have to look bad to be bad, but if you think you see visibility bad one and if you by chance have a soldering iron, buy a bag of caps that match that one for $10 and replace the caps that look bad and see what happens. Just avoid accidentally burning your finger on the soldering iron, it hurts like a bitch, but once you do you'll never do it again :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Dunno about bad cats, but grumpy cat memes can be google'd at your pleasure :p

But I want Grumpy Bad Cats That Have Burst Their Cans With Regurgitated Acidic Brown Electrolyte Memes and there is no pleasure in that....

• Like 1

As a closing note, anything with Chinese caps in, especially CapXon and SamYoung, REPLACE them, with none other than Japanese RubyCon XL ones. The Japanese are so reliable both their electronics and the people, my lovely girlfriend Kanako is the best geek-lady ever :)

Turkish brand Vestel TV's are a big one I do in the UK. They're rebranded as all sorts of makes, from low-end Toshiba to Techwood (Morrisons supermarket), Technika (Tesco's). Cracking TV's but the caps in the supplies are awful, from the electrolytic mains filter ones, to output voltage  electrolytics and CCFL backlight/LED supply rail ceramic ones.

In my experience whenever you're dealing with a SMPS PSU, be it a TV/Monitor or PC, it's 85% ALWAYS the output ones :)

And ALWAYS make sure you get the POLARITY right. They EXPLODE when reversed. A 400v AC filter one is like a firework when reversed, big bang and cloud of paper dust :)

Edited by Tidosho
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, warwagon said:

This would be a great board to practice soldering on. 

A few weeks ago I had a dell system that wouldn't power on. No Video, the fans would spin but the light would go yellow on the front instead of green. After looking around inside the board I saw 4 visibility bad caps. I just so happen to have bought a 20 pack of caps for a motherboard repair a year ago and the ones that were bad matched these. So I removed the old and installed the new in about 20 mins. Plugged it in .. turned it on and PRESTO! Green light and the computer booted straight to windows 10.

24498421137_56e6fbfd9c_c.jpg

I know caps don't have to look bad to be bad, but if you think you see visibility bad one and if you by chance have a soldering iron, buy a bag of caps that match that one for $10 and replace the caps that look bad and see what happens. Just avoid accidentally burning your finger on the soldering iron, it hurts like a bitch, but once you do you'll never do it again :D

Did you use a desoldering gun or the braid stuff?

Both ways seem to take about the same time in my experience, though if I cranked up the Heiko to anything more than 40 watts I burned PCB's early on -- so careful with your temps and pressure on your boards when desoldering.

Hello,

As best as I can tell this motherboard dates back to 2009, if not earlier.

Has the CR-2032 +3VDC coin cell which powers the CMOS/RTC backup battery been replaced?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky