HDD Recovery Help Needed

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

well that's nice of them not to charge anything :)

Well, they said from the beginning, if they can't get data, it is no cost to you. Only costs the shipping to them, which I believe was only $5. ;)

And @Circaflex, drop it.

21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, they said from the beginning, if they can't get data, it is no cost to you. Only costs the shipping to them, which I believe was only $5. ;)

And @Circaflex, drop it.

Were you actually ever serious about retrieving this data, or was just this merely a topic created for discussion and random thoughts?

Hello,

One thing I am curious about is how the hard disk drive got damaged like that in the first place.  I've dropped hard disk drives and knocked over a few systems containing hard disk drives over the years, but never seen one with a dent in the casing like that before.  Was it dropped on the corner of a desk, perhaps?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

One thing I am curious about is how the hard disk drive got damaged like that in the first place.  I've dropped hard disk drives and knocked over a few systems containing hard disk drives over the years, but never seen one with a dent in the casing like that before.  Was it dropped on the corner of a desk, perhaps?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I do not know, actually, It could be my case falling from my bed, but I think they were too far apart... So, no idea.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:20 PM, Mindovermaster said:

And @Circaflex, drop it.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:42 PM, Circaflex said:

Were you actually ever serious about retrieving this data, or was just this merely a topic created for discussion and random thoughts?

@Circaflexis making a good point that in fact he could have far more apocalyptic about. If anything he was reserved and understated.

Opening the hard drive in "normal air" instantly and  completely coated all the platters with "huge" particles that made sure that absolutely nothing would be recoverable.

OTHER PEOPLE read Neowin posts! Google indexes it! so it it irresponsible to even hint that opening a hard drive at home is a possible thing to do without at least a DIY "clean room"

https://makezine.com/2010/03/08/diy-cleanroom-on-a-budget/

hd-dust.thumb.jpg.873426e358d4b434fc2e4fb715841f32.jpg

On 5/28/2018 at 9:28 AM, DKAngel said:

which would also cause the drive to fail and make all kinds of noises, plus if the head has hit the platter its toast, i recon he has a better chance at just redoing th epartition and doing a recovery on it as quick as he could

Heads are parked automatically so that the kind of platter crash people mention in this thread usually happens when the drive is running.

Anything is possible in the extreme force implied by that dent, but the usual damage to a powered down drive is to the spindle bearings which can seize completely which you can diagnose by "is the drive spinning" ear test or else erratic alignment and grinding leading to spindle failure results.

Data loss is so 90's - Backblaze.com is cheap super simple and 100% unlimited. Any long time regulars at Neowin probably have so many computers lying around that multiple copies of data distributed across your LAN is also 100% effective and free outside of fires and floods...

I have always used gilware.com for whiteroom recovery.  Usually though if I can’t recover it with recovermyfiles, the likelihood of them getting data out is slim (like 30% or less slim). 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:06 AM, DevTech said:

Heads are parked automatically so that the kind of platter crash people mention in this thread usually happens when the drive is running.

Anything is possible in the extreme force implied by that dent, but the usual damage to a powered down drive is to the spindle bearings which can seize completely which you can diagnose by "is the drive spinning" ear test or else erratic alignment and grinding leading to spindle failure results.

Data loss is so 90's - Backblaze.com is cheap super simple and 100% unlimited. Any long time regulars at Neowin probably have so many computers lying around that multiple copies of data distributed across your LAN is also 100% effective and free outside of fires and floods...

not everyone has the bandwith to upload that much data, im on a 6/1Mbit connection and cloud backups to me are useless

7 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

not everyone has the bandwith to upload that much data, im on a 6/1Mbit connection and cloud backups to me are useless

I described two of the most painless no brainer type of backup methods, Backblaze Cloud and plain old file copies across the home LAN since for some reason copying your stuff to another computer has a lower mental barrier than setting up backup software or USB externals.

If your internet is slow but unlimited no cost then Backblaze will work slowly over time to upload everything and keep it up to date. It is not Cloud Storage like OneDrive or DropBox but more like low cost "write-only" storage which is why it can be unlimited in size. You only access it when you need disaster recovery.

Backblaze also has a Cloud Storage product that is about 4 to 10 times cheaper than AWS or Azure.

The reason people hold a hard drive in their hands and scream to the heavens while asking about recovery services that can cost thousands is that there is a mental barrier to backup.

I'm suggesting that opening Network Neighborhood and copying "Documents" to any other computer every so often is mentally easy and covers 90% of disaster scenarios.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

I described two of the most painless no brainer type of backup methods, Backblaze Cloud and plain old file copies across the home LAN since for some reason copying your stuff to another computer has a lower mental barrier than setting up backup software or USB externals.

If your internet is slow but unlimited no cost then Backblaze will work slowly over time to upload everything and keep it up to date. It is not Cloud Storage like OneDrive or DropBox but more like low cost "write-only" storage which is why it can be unlimited in size. You only access it when you need disaster recovery.

Backblaze also has a Cloud Storage product that is about 4 to 10 times cheaper than AWS or Azure.

The reason people hold a hard drive in their hands and scream to the heavens while asking about recovery services that can cost thousands is that there is a mental barrier to backup.

I'm suggesting that opening Network Neighborhood and copying "Documents" to any other computer every so often is mentally easy and covers 90% of disaster scenarios.

dont get me wrong i agree with you, and i have backups i have six backup drives sitting on a shelve and 12Tb just sitting in this pc, but like i said a 1mb connect isnt going to backup 12tb of my stuff lol

30 minutes ago, DKAngel said:

1mb connect isnt going to backup 12tb of my stuff lol

Sure it can... Just take a really long time... Something like 3 years I would guessimate.

But that is not the point.. The point is you didn't instantly have 12TB... this was built up over time.. If you would of been backing up the whole time. 

You do understand you can ship them a disk to seed right..  If your using b2 vs personal backup stuff.  But I really question that you have 12TB of stuff that warrants backup.. Your copy of the X-files episodes don't warrant backup if you ask me..  Only stuff that can not be replaced needs backup and disaster recovery.

You can not replace video you took of your kids 3rd birthday party, etc.  But you sure and then hell can easy replace any sort of media library you have built up of music and video, etc.  Shoot that is most the of the fun in collecting it and organizing it.  So your saying you have 12TB of original data that can not be easy reproduced..  That is a ###### ton of home movies in 4K ;)

I have multiple TB of video and music in my media library.. None of it is backed up.. The stuff that warrants backup is less than 200GB.. All the home video and pictures..