Contemplating a new gaming PC - here's my existing setup - any advice?

Totally up to you.  Should also be noted the 10xx series of Nvidia GPUs are almost two years old.  Rumors are the 11xx series are right around the corner (July/August) ... so might be something to hold off for if you're still a bit hesitant pulling the trigger.

If you need something now ... that Alienware will probably do just fine. :) 

That Alienware you posted looks like a pretty good deal.  I was going to suggest a minimum of an RX 580/GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM, Ryzen 5/current i5, etc., but you've already got it all figured out, :-)

• Like 1

Alrighty folks! I'm taking the plunge. Now to figure out which display to connect the Alienware to (I want to leverage the better spec display).

I have a Sony Bravia W800C TV and an LG Ultrawide monitor. Which of the two would be best to optimize the 1070? What are the key metrics in the display specs that I should look at when comparing (i.e. response time, hz, fps, etc?)  I intend to get a better display in the future but the interim this will have to do.

Thanks again for everyone's help! 

Why not both? I have dual screens. Always did since ~2005...

All your settings for the display effects are mostly in your computer. NVIDIA Control Center.

Yeah I think I'll stick to my monitor as primary due to better response times. At what ft. does HDMI cable degrade in quality? My tv is like 10 ft from my desktop.

The MAX is 50ft. But in most places, you will not find them for more than 25ft. So you're OK. :)

Monoprice.com is your station for all cables.

amazon basic has some nice cables too.  If you have prime it may work out a bit better with shipping, YMMV.

For me, as an example:

A $7.99 10 ft amazon basic cable comes out to 8.50 bux with tax and shipping on amazon.com

A $5.99 10 ft monoprice cable comes out to 10.11 bux with tax and shipping on monoprice.com

21 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

It would help to know what he HAS so we can get a better idea what we can upgrade TO.

He has nothing mate, if he had it would be listed,is how i read the ops post.

Re: hdmi cables, dont be fooled by high grade nonsense its a digital signal and carrying cable gold plated ends is pointless ;)

In late November I put together a build with the following for $993 after tax/shipping:

AMD RYZEN 7 1700 8-Core 3.0 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1700BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - White (CO-9050016-WLED)

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01

NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Steel/Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case

MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX 580 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I already had a 500GB Crucial SSD (~$120), Logitech M705 mouse, a Logitech K120 keyboard, and a monitor. Also I bought a couple wired XB1 controllers for $30 a piece.

I have yet to have anything run at less than 60FPS at maxed graphics (@1080p) except in some cases with 16x AA (dipped to like 50FPS).

Thanks for everyone's responses - it definitely helped in pulling the trigger. I'll by an nice extended cable for when I wanna couch game.

Waking up this morning to news that Trump announced tariffs on Chinese goods - makes me feel EVEN better about my purchase, not knowing if prices will rise due to the tariff.

Oh, just ignore that tariff stuff. MOST of it is already in the US warehouses...