Backing up DVD / blu ray & CD collection?

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

Um its about "backing" up his CD/DVD/BluRay collection - not his computer ;)

Hmmm... Which is harder? Splitting atoms or splitting hairs?

All your great posts have been wonderful reading about tagging media files etc all of which are completely off-topic but then I think we would all benefit if the "Off Topic Power Pill" was invoked a lot less often than it is, thus promoting human creativity and great discussions. 

Always hard to tell on the internet, but I'm assuming your comments were meant to be funny...

4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Agree. I don't think it's wildly off topic so let's keep it in. Unless @BudManvehemently disagrees? 😛

Well, his post count trumps mine, but can I agree to disagree?

@goretsky was just being helpful as usual...

My point that is was off topic - is not understanding where the link came from and then the correction...  I don't see any mention or other link in this thread... Seemed like it came out of another thread.

It is about backup then its on topic... That was my gut reaction..

But his question be it he worded wrong or not is about moving his collection of cd/dvd to a library - which sure is a backup... But that is not really the point of his question... Read the OP again ;)

1 minute ago, BudMan said:

My point that is was off topic - is not understanding where the link came from and then the correction...  I don't see any mention or other link in this thread... Seemed like it came out of another thread.

It is about backup then its on topic... That was my gut reaction..

But his question be it he worded wrong or not is about moving his collection of cd/dvd to a library - which sure is a backup... But that is not really the point of his question... Read the OP again ;)

@BudMan, you are just one of the most awesomeness members at Neowin.

AFAIK, we have just been doing some light banter around the facts:

1. the OP Topic was worded wrong,

2. It was posted in the wrong forum

3. And reading the post, directs attention to media organization which you have addressed so well

4. and from various posts the OP is still concerned about the "backup" aspects of things

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

4. and from various posts the OP is still concerned about the "backup" aspects of things

He was asking about drives in Hardware Hangout, too.

So, he has drives, but he needs a new drive?

On 11/20/2018 at 10:31 AM, DevTech said:

All your great posts have been wonderful reading about tagging media files etc all of which are completely off-topic

But a 'topic' progresses. With more answers comes more questions. That's how i work anyway - always asking (to some peoples annoyance i guess). If i had to create a new thread every time a topic took another step i'd end up filling page 1 of the forum...

...and then we would have some cranky people wouldn't we ;)

Whether he's just detailing or whether he's actually cottoned on to the fact that i am incredibly anal/OCD (whichever you prefer to call it), Budman is actually spot on & his post does help with what i'm trying to do here.

On the topic of which -

I used EAC last night (that whole just rip something think from a page or so back (ok it was audio, not video but don't shoot me)). I managed to grab the info for tracks off a CD automatic but i don't like the way it rips them.

I like to have a folder for the album and within this each file would just simply be file name. It was tagging them up as let's say 01-intro, 02-next song. Not a fan of the numbers being there, although i do want them in the track listing order. It's something i'll need to look at.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:40 AM, DevTech said:

2. It was posted in the wrong forum

It was posted here based on i was already thinking of network storage. I saw network in the forum name so came here.

Well i thought i'll give it a quick go as has been said i should.

First attempt and a couple minutes in...

THOR_RAGNAROCK.thumb.jpg.d9db239eb73a7649bc0514091b335154.jpg

For the record this is a 'new' DVD. One of the ones i pulled from the Marvel Studios Cinematic Universe Phase 3 box set.

My suggestion was to PLEX not handbrake.  PLEX is simple.  But let’s see what is going on with handbrake.  Handbrake is for recoding not for ripping/pulling out security. First you need to pull security and save the disk somewhere then you can encode/change format with handbrake.   Wrong tool for the job.   Try again with a different tool. 

Yes rip first. Then point PLEX.  

Wrong software to rip. 

Step one decode and rip

step two encode to your favorite format 

step three point PLEX to newly encoded format. 

You skipped step one and went right to step two. Can’t help you skipping steps. 

You can use makemkv to convert your blu-rays and dvds to mkv and then run those mkv's through Handbrake to encode into a smaller file size.  https://www.makemkv.com/

What I typically do is rip my Blu-Rays/DVDs with makemkv.  Movies that are just kinda "ok", I'll run through handbrake to cut down the file size.  Movies which I do not want any loss in quality ... I keep the makemkv rips unaltered.  

Since makemkv does not encode (it rips the movie unaltered) ... the file it produces are large.  Around 6-8gb for DVD and 22-30gb for Blu-Rays (depends on the movie obviously).

3 hours ago, Technique said:

It was posted here based on i was already thinking of network storage. I saw network in the forum name so came here.

Oh, I personally don't have any complaints at all!

I firmly believe in wide ranging creative discussions across both long time periods and various topics and forums which I think foster community and participation and engagement far more than arbitrary restrictions such as "off topic" which are often mentioned in a very unthoughtful manner.

The Giant Elephant Off Topic Power Pill was being invoked so I was just listing some of the ways in which this discussion was veering in different simultaneous directions in an informative manner.

Pretty sure we mentioned makemkv multiple times ;)

You can then transcode that with handbrake to a lower bitrate, etc.. To save space..

But to just get started yeah use makemkv..

3 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Pretty sure we mentioned makemkv multiple times ;)

You can then transcode that with handbrake to a lower bitrate, etc.. To save space..

But to just get started yeah use makemkv..

Yes, I had on the first page. Figured it got lost or forgotten since OP was trying to encode a disc directly.

No no, it didn't get lost. I downloaded both programs actually. I figured they were the same thing so it was only a case of eenie-meanie that had me select Handbrake last night. I could've just as easily selected makemkv. 

If you're saving space then doesn't transcoding impact on quality of some sort, be it picture, sound or both?

OMG dude we went over this already about the quality thing!!  And again you sure and hell not going to be able to tell watching 480P dvd copies heheheheh

So I have some 4k movies using x265 that look great and sound fine 5.1 DTS... That are fractions of the size they would be with a full rip off the bluray..

Using 12.8 Mb/s 10bit x265 at 3840x1600 gives me a 11.5GB video, while the DTS sound takes up 1.35GB..

Good luck telling the difference and saved what like 20GB for that 1 movie.. So now can store 3 movies at that quality vs 1..

To get started just rip them off with makemkv - which will be full quality off the disk... But as your library grows and you get more into the hobby you might want to play with shrinking them a bit ;)  And handbrake can rip off media - it just doesn't know how to decrypt protected disks.

Where you can save space with makemkv is not pulling off the audio you don't need - like other languages and different sound formats that your player not going to be able to do.. For example you might have hard time with DTS-HD, but DTS will work fine, etc.. Your going to have to play around a bit to find the sweet spot.  Then down the road your prob going to after much fiddling and learning say oh what the F was I thinking doing that.. And change up what you were doing ;)

That is why tinker and play before buying something cuz your prob going to rethink it multiple times as you get into this new hobby that will rob all your free time fixing up your library hehehe.. As I mentioned in answer to that PM you sent me... Your first plex server / nas could be something as cheap a pi and usb stick/disk..

11 hours ago, BudMan said:

OMG dude we went over this already about the quality thing!! 

And i remember someone saying about compressing negatively impacts on the quality. I just wondered how much in this case.

Anyway...

makemkv.thumb.jpg.719b13df408cc72d3e31b95b37f5bc40.jpg

I understand some things are being skipped but what exactly? They're not likely to be anything important are they?

On 11/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, Technique said:

I can relate.

When we're using Kodi and you select a movie to watch and you're waiting and waiting & waiting, it may well be loading a movie, it may well work, who knows but i'm impatient and will be selecting another link because i don't like to wait.

I'm not sure what you call them, are they called skins for Kodi? Where it looks all fancy etc? Whatever they're called anyway, i put one on my Amazon FireStick. It didn't last long because it slowed the whole experience riiiiiiiiiight down so it had to go.

how do you use your Kodi? 

in my setup is instant, movie starts before you can lift your finger of the button.

1 minute ago, nekrosoft13 said:

how do you use your Kodi?

Not sure what you mean.

I search, i select, i wait, i watch would just about sum it up.

Some times this is amended to ... I search, i select, i wait, it doesn't work, i select another, i wait, it doesn't work, i select another, it works, i watch.

6 minutes ago, Technique said:

And i remember someone saying about compressing negatively impacts on the quality. I just wondered how much in this case.

Anyway...

makemkv.thumb.jpg.719b13df408cc72d3e31b95b37f5bc40.jpg

I understand some things are being skipped but what exactly? They're not likely to be anything important are they?

read the log, it tells you everything there.

Title 1 was skipped because its the same as title 2, why have two copies

and tittle was 5 was skipped because its shorter then 38 seconds, that could be movie studio logo or some other junk

Just now, Technique said:

Not sure what you mean.

I search, i select, i wait, i watch would just about sum it up.

Some times this is amended to ... I search, i select, i wait, it doesn't work, i select another, i wait, it doesn't work, i select another, it works, i watch.

search what?

Yeah that's what i meant - what is it that was skipped, but if it's insignificant it doesn't matter then.

I *think* i now see why Budman slates DVD quality. I just finished the rip and opened it up. I wouldn't call it bad but it's not like it is when i watch on the TV downstairs and i wonder if this is to do with the PS4 upscaling - which is why i was saying the quality isn't as bad as he was making out.

And i search for a movie. I find a movie, i select a source, it works or it doesn't, if it doesn't then i select a new source & repeat until i find one that works.

So you have now ripped your first movie... Now put it plex and stream it to your tv!  And you will be on your way to building your library.

BTW you can pick what you want to pull off with makemkv - so you don't need to pull off all the other audio and such..

18 hours ago, Technique said:

And i search for a movie. I find a movie, i select a source, it works or it doesn't, if it doesn't then i select a new source & repeat until i find one that works.

18 hours ago, nekrosoft13 said:

read the log, it tells you everything there.

Title 1 was skipped because its the same as title 2, why have two copies

and tittle was 5 was skipped because its shorter then 38 seconds, that could be movie studio logo or some other junk

search what?

I think you're both talking about different uses of Kodi. 

@nekrosoft13I'm assuming that you're referring to using Kodi as a just a way to manage media a la Plex, whereas @Techniqueis probably talking about streaming from 'sources' ;)

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

So you have now ripped your first movie... Now put it plex and stream it to your tv!  And you will be on your way to building your library.

BTW you can pick what you want to pull off with makemkv - so you don't need to pull off all the other audio and such..

1) I actually created a Plex account while at work on my dinner break today. By created account i mean went to website, entered email & password and got an email sent to my email address.

2) For testing purposes (since this is the first one) how do i set up a standard USB to be accessed by my TV? I've USB drives of varying capacities.

3) Yeah i figured that much out as it was quite simple. I omitted all the foreign languages on my rip. What was offputting was i think it was when i loaded the video file in to Handbrake and all the tabs and their jargon leaving me wondering if i need to go to college, or rather just whether i need to know what all those tabs are or not.

5 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I think you're both talking about different uses of Kodi. 

@nekrosoft13I'm assuming that you're referring to using Kodi as a just a way to manage media a la Plex, whereas @Techniqueis probably talking about streaming from 'sources' ;)

Yes what i'm referring to i would hazard a guess as to it not being allowed to be discussed much further here. That's about my only experience of Kodi.