• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Issue with computer not going to sleep

+jnelsoninjax    11,207

I have the power management set to put the system to sleep after 1 hour, but more often than not, it simply will not go to sleep. I often will wake up in the middle of the night and the system is still awake. Then there is another issue with the system not waking up from sleep, sometimes I end up having to turn the system off completely and then it sometimes takes 2 or 3 times to get windows to load, I get a POST message from the UEFI that states that the system did not start properly, press F1 to continue or press del to enter UEFI. Of course F1 yields no response and more often than not when I press del to enter UEFI it freezes on me, and then on reboot windows loads fine (this is after 2 or 3 tries). I have looked in the UEFI and can not find any power management options (most likely buried in a sub menu). Where or what can I do about this odd issue? I do not have wake timers enabled (I have that disabled in the power managements within windows)

adrynalyne    10,906

What brand of PC, and if custom, what brand of motherboard?

+jnelsoninjax    11,207
11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

What brand of PC, and if custom, what brand of motherboard?

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) (AM4)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

adrynalyne    10,906
1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) (AM4)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Do you have any motherboard utilities installed and running? I have a gigabyte board and those utilities were the cause of it.

+jnelsoninjax    11,207
10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Do you have any motherboard utilities installed and running? I have a gigabyte board and those utilities were the cause of it.

Yes for the OC and RAID.

rsrcomp    18

Create a shortcut on the desktop with the following command. This will put the machine to sleep instantly. The mouse wakes it up.

This beats messing around with a non working power management system.

If this is not helpful, ignore it and don't shout at me.

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

+jnelsoninjax    11,207
3 minutes ago, rsrcomp said:

Create a shortcut on the desktop with the following command. This will put the machine to sleep instantly. The mouse wakes it up.

This beats messing around with a non working power management system.

If this is not helpful, ignore it and don't shout at me.

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

I have this, and use it, but the other issue still creeps up, more often than not.

adrynalyne    10,906
7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes for the OC and RAID.

I bet it’s the OC software. 

goretsky    995

Hello,

Do you have the latest UEFI (BIOS) firmware installed for the motherboard, as well as all of the drivers for it from ASUS' web site?  Have you tried older versions of Windows 10 (1803, 1709) to see if they work?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

adrynalyne    10,906

I still think it’s the OC software. I’d shut it down and/or remove it and see if it fixes it. 

+jnelsoninjax    11,207
On 1/27/2019 at 2:12 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

Do you have the latest UEFI (BIOS) firmware installed for the motherboard, as well as all of the drivers for it from ASUS' web site?  Have you tried older versions of Windows 10 (1803, 1709) to see if they work?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, I have the latest versions of the software

20 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I still think it’s the OC software. I’d shut it down and/or remove it and see if it fixes it. 

Upon rechecking, there does not appear to be any motherboard software running, except for the RAID monitor (which needs to be running for obvious reasons).

If I use the shortcut to manually sleep the system, it works just fine, it's just when I leave it alone and hope that windows will put it to sleep that it more often then not doesn't.

adrynalyne    10,906
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, I have the latest versions of the software

Upon rechecking, there does not appear to be any motherboard software running, except for the RAID monitor (which needs to be running for obvious reasons).

If I use the shortcut to manually sleep the system, it works just fine, it's just when I leave it alone and hope that windows will put it to sleep that it more often then not doesn't.

When I had the gigabyte software installed, shortcuts and what not also worked. I guess the next logical step is to disable startup items and third party

services and see if you can sleep through power management scheduling. If you can, systematically start re-enabling stuff and testing until you find the culprit. 

Steven P.    12,459

This is interesting because since the most recent CU for Windows 10 1809 that I installed last week (17763.253), my monitors don't enter a sleep state after 30 mins also (which should also trigger after 1 minute when I lock my PC) I am about to install this update https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-windows-10-build-17763292---heres-whats-new which must be applied manually, and I will test if my screens enter sleep state normally again and let you know here.

After installing 17763.292 update, sleep state for the screens kicks in again a minute after locking my PC.

adrynalyne    10,906
23 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

This is interesting because since the most recent CU for Windows 10 1809 that I installed last week (17763.253), my monitors don't enter a sleep state after 30 mins also (which should also trigger after 1 minute when I lock my PC) I am about to install this update https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-windows-10-build-17763292---heres-whats-new which must be applied manually, and I will test if my screens enter sleep state normally again and let you know here.

I too have that update and have been sleeping fine with my monitors. I’d also recommend trying what I mentioned above for narrowing down what might be causing it.